Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
It all depends upon the impedance of the drivers and what the minimum load that the amp can handle. what equipment did you have in mind?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thinking of a mach5 ixl 18 in a ported sonotube tuned to 18hz and a sealed 18" AA avalanche probably in a 24 inch cube..........
y mix and match? well i don't know!! who else would do that?!!? if no one, why?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
So your thinking of doing 2 completely different subs on the same amp? That isn't a good idea, if they were both the same sub on the same amp i'd say go for it. Or 2 different subs on 2 different amps and you'll be good to go.:T

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So your thinking of doing 2 completely different subs on the same amp? That isn't a good idea, if they were both the same sub on the same amp i'd say go for it. Or 2 different subs on 2 different amps and you'll be good to go.:T
even if they have the same or similiar TS parameters?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I would most certainly choose a different setup, even though the subs have similar T/S's they are 2 different subs that will react completely differently putting an unknown strain on the amp or possible failure of it. Your best bet is to choose 2 of the same subs.:T

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would most certainly choose a different setup, even though the subs have similar T/S's they are 2 different subs that will react completely differently putting an unknown strain on the amp or possible failure of it. Your best bet is to choose 2 of the same subs.:T
sounds good.

do u know any inside/forgotten knowledge of the o-audio amps? what the bash 500 watt amps or even the ED lt550 and 1300 watt ones??

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I generally feel that if you need something above 500W or want to power multiple drivers (especially 18") - it's a good idea to consider an amp like a Behringer 2500/4000.

I feel that above 500W it becomes less cost effective to use a plate amp.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I have no experiance with any of those brands but have heard good things about the o-audio and the Bash but being that the ED is the more powerful of the 3 that is what i would choose. I'm a firm believer in having more power then needed (when used wisely).:T

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I generally feel that if you need something above 500W or want to power multiple drivers (especially 18") - it's a good idea to consider an amp like a Behringer 2500/4000.

I feel that above 500W it becomes less cost effective to use a plate amp.
Good point but some setups or just personal prefrences require a plate amp.:T

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what else would i need to go along with the behringer amp? BFD, something with HP and/or LP filters on it?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Choose a driver and cabinet design and what you are looking to get out of it (music/movies) and we can help you abit better.:T

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh well the other piece of this thread was moved.

so how about hooking up 2 plate amps to 1 sub? i went over to apex's site and had my eye on 2 apex seniors......... any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Jim is right, that it is easier said then done but with the proper knowledge and tools it is simple to equalize gain on 2 seperate amps. I would suggest for simplicity just getting a more powerful amp that can deliver the power needed for the subs you have in mind however.:T

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi, I confirm you should get a standard 2 channel rack amp powerful enough for the biggest sub, then install the amp (or not) in one of the cabinets and connect each cab on each output of the amp. This will allow you to setup each sub at the right level without any risk of failure from the amp as if you connected the two subs on one channel only. As you use a powerful 18, I'd suggest a (real) 2x500RMS under 8ohms minimum. :nerd:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, I confirm you should get a standard 2 channel rack amp powerful enough for the biggest sub, then install the amp (or not) in one of the cabinets and connect each cab on each output of the amp. This will allow you to setup each sub at the right level without any risk of failure from the amp as if you connected the two subs on one channel only. As you use a powerful 18, I'd suggest a (real) 2x500RMS under 8ohms minimum. :nerd:
thanks nick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts