Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm just starting my journey into the home audio scene and need some advice.
I currently have a Klipsch Cinema 600 sound bar which allows for an addition of one subwoofer. I bought a pb3000 a week ago and am loving it. However I am craving a little more tactile bass.
It is set up in my living room which has a 19 ft ceiling and is a open concept. There isn't a lot of options for sub placement because it is in the living room so it'll be either on the left or right of the TV.
I was wondering if adding another pb3000 on the other side of the TV would give me more tactile bass, or just getting a single pb 16 ultra.
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hi Tendytown,
I am researching the same thing. So far things seem to point to 2 subs being better than 1.
As far as placement goes the recommendations point to one in the front and one in the back.
Here is a link to a good video talking about the subject.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Two PB3000 would definitely outperform a single pb16. Plus there’s the added potential of smoothing the FR. Unless you’ve measured with REW, you could be sitting in a null. Or possibly just want more bass too. Still. Two PB3k would be better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you willis7469! Looks like most people are in favor of 2 so that's the road I'll take.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it were me I would be looking to sell the soundbar and start investing on a AVR and proper speakers. Having 2xPP3000's or a PB16 without any Room EQ seems a bit backwards IMHO.

For example it you had Audyssey with the App you could find the best location for a single sub for your MLP. You can then run the sub hot while still having clean bass as the peaks will be cut. This alone might be a better upgrade than going dual for now. Then having a nice front stage speakers of your choice and budget will no doubt sound better than the Klipsch Cinema 600.

Just my 2cents

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
If it were me I would be looking to sell the soundbar and start investing on a AVR and proper speakers. Having 2xPP3000's or a PB16 without any Room EQ seems a bit backwards IMHO.

For example it you had Audyssey with the App you could find the best location for a single sub for your MLP. You can then run the sub hot while still having clean bass as the peaks will be cut. This alone might be a better upgrade than going dual for now. Then having a nice front stage speakers of your choice and budget will no doubt sound better than the Klipsch Cinema 600.

Just my 2cents
Have to admit. THIS!!!
Can’t believe I forgot to say that. At the very least, 2.1 with some nice ** speakers minimum will be much better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could as well set the sub to Music preset in the SVS App (remember what SPL/Volume the sub is set to before doing this as the preset will change it, set back to what it was) . This will set certain PEQ's in the 60hz range that gives a little more of chest thump sound.

Also it might be worth setting a LPF(low pass filter) as well so the sub doesn't go completely full-range. Set it to 100hz or 90hz. You will loose certain LFE sounds but you might gain with a cleaner sound. This can help if the sub is sounding too bloated. We call this cascading crossover it might work on the soundbar, I'm sure(not certain) the DSP will protect it from blowing the drivers.

But ya as @willis7469 say's a 2.1 would be the ideal route with a 3.1 next. Then a 3.2 or 5.1

After that your hooked :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just my 2cents
I knew there were limitations to the soundbar/additional sub combo, but I didn't think it was this bad. I've always wanted an atmos system and wasn't planning on buying one this soon. However I did come across this sick deal from Costco and pulled the trigger yesterday. To pair with it I also bought a Denon X3700H.
Thanks for the thoughtful/honest tip!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts