Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a semi local person selling 2 TC sounds lms-r 15" for a reasonable price. I was thinking of doing a sealed 5400 18" before these came up for sale. I would be putting each of the 15" in sealed boxes and running them with a behringer ep4000. This should put 2000 watts into each sub. Then hopefully getting an SMS-1 Velodyne to eq them as flat as I can. Would 2 TC sounds 15" be better then 1 5400 18"?

Oh and my goal would be to go subsonic (<20 hz) as my Klipsch SW310 does not get job done in HT use. The room does 60% movies, 30% gaming, 10% music. I would love to eq the subs flat till about 15-10 hz and then they can roll off. The room is a finished basement with carpet at roughly 24 L X 18 W X 7 H.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
To be able to have enough 15hz and down in your room you will really need multiples of anything. So multiple dual opposed LMSR's or whatever you chose. A pair of LMSR's will out due a single Ultra 18". A pair of 15's usually can compare to a single 21".

You have a large room so get as many subs as you can for enough SPL under 20hz to really matter. A pair of dual opposed 18's would be my suggestion. But money talks so its up to you. There are always other options also such as LLT's or Horns also.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ratings on the ep4000 are that far underpowered? Would a crown or another amp be a better choice? Would the inuke 6000 with dsp be a better choice over the separate amp/ sms-1 combo? Im kinda set on the 2 tc sounds in sealed boxes. I think they should get low enough and cost less then the single 5400 18". This will be my 1st and 2nd diy sub build so any tips or preplanning things i am missing would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess when reading the specs, I didnt see that it say peak was 2000 and the rest of the time was lower. For the money, is the behringer inuke without DSP the best choice or is there another amp that cost less for the power hungry 15"s? I have done quite a bit of reading on here but I still don't understand everything that is involved with building a sub. Hopefully by the time I am done it should be easier to build another one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I saw another build with a 3 cubic box for each driver. I could go bigger but not much bigger since there would be 2 of them in the room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the 3 cubic ft bad? It seems that all sealed subs need to be eq, is there an optimal size to minimize hiw much eq has to be done?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Here is how a LMS-R15 models in 3 cu.ft. with 1500 watts.

View attachment 39580
Is the 3 cubic ft bad? It seems that all sealed subs need to be eq, is there an optimal size to minimize how much eq has to be done?
Mike has the optimal setting for the 15 in 3cuft. If you look at the Qtc it is about .7 which is where most try to aim towards. EQ can do a lot to a subwoofer but starting things off with a better design allow less use of EQ.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of them will be corner loaded which should help with the gain. 3 cubic ft should be a good start for the boxes and then once those are built i can start to figure out the eq and amp. I tried to model the 15 but my graphs never seem to look like the ones that are posted.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not to pry, but you stated you were given a "good" deal on 2 LMSR's. Those drivers usually cost around $450 new. If you are getting them for lets say half that than by all means go for it, but if not, then you may look at some alternatives that would require less power to be at their full potential. This might allow you to use one ep4000 for dual drivers as you had planned.

If you have already purchased the drivers and not the amp(s) then you might look at Guitar Center, Craigslist or Ebay for a used one or two. I purchased a used ep2500 from GC plus one year warranty for around $175.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The cost will be just above 2 for the price of 1 by $50. I do not have the amp(s) yet and this will be a winter project. I already ran a 20amp dedicated service when i planned on putting the HT in that area. If these were full price i would still be looking or trying to figure out another sub.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the drivers today and they are huge. Now to make the boxes and find the amp/sms-1 eq. Does anyone know if there are plans for the box sides and the internal bracing?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Did you get a chance to free air test the drivers?

There are many different styles of bracing. Some very complicated and some that are very easy to do. Window bracing is pretty easy but its just a matter of how complicated do you want your bracing to look and then cover it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Free air test the drivers? I pushed on them to make sure they moved and didnt hear any noises. Looked for burn marks, dents, missing rubber, and the support for holes/ problems. The guy was very nice and he acually used full sentences and punctuation in texting back and forth.
I would go for the simple bracing since i will be the only one who knows what is inside.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The 15 or 18 in driver in a sealed box just seems counter productive with regard to the internal sound waves causing resonance and internal air pressure causing some compression... That aside have you considered using the 2x 15's with a TC 18 passive...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts