Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple 2 way crossover design using using REW and MiniDSP. 1st attempt.
Plan of attack:
1. Measure semi-anechoic woofer and tweeter frequency using REW.
2. Use REW to make EQ filters to flatten frequency response.
3. Export EQ filters to MiniDSP.
4. Make crossover filters in MiniDSP.
5. Adjust time delay to get correct summing at crossover point.
6. Enjoy!

Well I've run into a problem on step 3. The EQ filters generated by REW loaded into MiniDSP except the frequencies of the filters are twice what they should be. Looks like a sample rate difference but where? Help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You don't say which MiniDSP you are using, if it is the 2x8 or 8x8 use the "MiniDSP-96k" equaliser setting in REW to correspond to the 96kHz sampling of those boards, if it is the regular MiniDSP (48k sampling) use the "MiniDSP" equaliser setting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - I do have a 2x8 MiniDSP. I don't see MiniDSP-96K option in REW V5. Must be in 5.1 beta? I'll download that and check it out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
system.jpg

Success-
Here is a screen shot of the completed 2 way system.
Trace 1 is the unfiltered woofer response.
Trace 2 is the unfiltered tweeter response.
Trace 3 is the woofer and the tweeter with applied EQ filters generated by REW. The tweeter is out of phase so I could adjust the delay in the MiniDSP. Just keep changing the delay until you get a maximum null.
Trace 4 is the complete system with tweeter in the correct polarity. Super flat response from 200 - 20KHz. Try doing that with a passive crossover! Not bad for hardly any work, inexpensive MiniDSP and REW. Way cool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love your work.

I have a MiniDSP 2x8, a MiniDigi and a MiniStreamer and have just picked up REW. I am planning to first build some fully active 2 ways with stereo subs, then later keep the subs and build some large three ways to replace the stand-mounters. I still have a long way to go. The stand-mount boxes are about 50% built and I have the drivers for the sub/sat setup but they will need a six channel power amp building and some stands before I can get my teeth really stuck in. First I hope to get myself an SPL meter and a calibrated microphone so I can get used to the software and what everything does.

Do you have any more of your project written up, or know of any others in the net I can read to give me inspiration?

How do they sound now you have had a chance to optimise them and try them out?

Kind regards,

Jai Stanley

1 - 5 of 5 Posts