Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I thought I would start a new thread in the FI forum area. I had the wood all cut up today at B&Q. Boy did it take ages. Some of it I noticed is a mill out in places but hopefully will be ok.

Here's a picture of the wood. I will start marking the wood up tomorrow night and start cutting on Friday next week. I decided to go for the 13.5hz tune in the end as with a hpf it should give me 5db more at 10hz and the same output as the 15hz tune from 15hz onwards.

Port velocity will down to 18 m/s at full output with the hpf engaged so all should be good.

Final Dimensions are 28" wide by 22" deep by 42" high all made out of 18mm mdf.

I just need to order the t nuts and screws, some shorter wood screws, the reckhorn B2, one more speaker plate, no doubt some more jigsaw blades probably some other stuff.

I have enough wood veneer for one sub so will have to wait until I get some more funds to do the other. Oh and I need to get some cables to connect the hpf to the bfd to the behringer amp. What are the best leads to get?

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do chaps. I starting marking up the wood last night. I have marked up the braces for cutting and just leaves to mark up the sides and were ready to go. I need to pilot hole the wood too. Ive got 4 1200mm sash clamps coming today or tomorrow and will get the bond and seal today. Its wierd that even though each sub will be bigger than my single dual they will look smaller because of being taller and thinner.

Work starts Friday!

There will be lots of pics and lots of measuring. I need to work out what extra cables I need to get. I need to sort out the Reckhorn B2 sometime in a few days.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought I would let you all know I have finally started now. I have cut most of the 1st braces, just waiting for the batteries for the cordless to re charge up again. I am then going to smooth off the edges of the braces so hopefully it looks nice and neat. Will have to see how that turns out.

Poxy clamps still have not turned up. Aaahh! I have my 9 tubes of bond and seal. I will upload some pics later when the braces are done. Then I need to get something to line the sub with although I am still not sure what to get yet. Acoustice mineral wool is really cheap but you can't glue it to the sides or I may just get some egg crate foam.

I am only doing one sub at the moment to see how the 13.5hz tune pans out and if all ok then start the second one in the middle of next week.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right here goes some pics as promised for you. So far today I have done all the bracing for the sub. It felt like it took ages. I have never really used a jigsaw before much so there was a few places that were not 100% perfect but I think it looks ok. The inter locking slots worked ok and fit good but I will use bond and seal to secure it once glued and screwed. I first marked up the pieces of wood where bits needed cutting.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dylan,

My drivers are still very stiff even after runnng them in free air a while ago. They are defo softer but you can only push them about 10mm or so. They are not bouncy like some I have read about. They should be run in by now I would have thought. Maybe its the nature of the driver. Perhaps someone could comment on that. Does a stiff driver mean a tighter bass sound?

Yep! can't wait. I hope I get my clamps on Monday. I just got the holes for the drivers to cut out and then start putting it together. Still need to decide on the lining. I am tempted to get some rockwool acoustic slabs but not sure what density to go for. They do it in 45kg/m3 and 60kg/m3. Tempted to go for the 60kg/m3.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have now glued and screwed the long vertical brace and the top horizontal brace to the inside port piece. I bought 3 1200mm sash cramps which now should make things alot easier. I am still going to use screws to be on the safe side but not as many as before.

I just need to route the exit port into a curve. Not sure if I need to do all four or just the two top and bottom. I am not sure what the best way to route all four edges is as when I did the bracing the corners seemed to stick out a bit more than the straight edges.

Once that dries I can then glue and screw to one of the sides on.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update today.

I managed to get a fair bit more done today. I fixed all the bracing to the port piece and also fixed that to one of the sides and glue/screwed. I have applied a generous amount of bond and seal (bit messy but you won't see most of it as the egg crate will cover it) so that everything is sealed and secure. I rounded off the edges of the inside of the ports. Not sure if I have done enough but that was all I could do as that was the only router bit I had and its only 18mm mdf. I have also cut the circles out for the drivers and glue/screwed them together. I have filled the holes and am waiting for that to dry so I can sand down again and fill.

Ive left the front exit port as I may add an extra baffle piece but will decide when it is done.

I need to paint the inside of the port with some black paint (need to get tomorrow but not too sure what is the best stuff to buy) so suggestions would be appreciated.

There is no movement on the braces so its all really tight and secure.

Sorry for the bad pics but I think the camera got dirty.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
looks awesome! Great work man. I am anti silicone, PLPro/PL200/PL400...any subfloor adheisive all the way... but different strokes. You don't see a guy like me doing beautiful bracing like that either so maybe I should take a hint.

I can't wait to see your reviews!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
That looks great Graham. I like the bracing structure. Very...unique? looking. I like it.
Maybe I should have you design the bracing for my next box :bigsmile:
I just make my bracing very simple <sigh>. It cuts down on how long it takes to build the box. I'll spend much more time on my next box though. I think I finished my box in like 2 days?? It didn't take very long at all.

Keep up the great work Graham!!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I should get quite a bit more done tomorrow. The only stumbling block I have now is how to route the front exit of the port as it is made up of the sides, the top and the bottom of the port. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My egg crate foam came today so I will be sort that out aswell. I plan to get this first one finished by Thursday to start testing. Everything so far fits perfectly which is surprising really as I am doing it. Only joking.

I am hoping if all goes well with the testing I should be able to start building the second one on Friday and get that done by Sunday or maybe the following weekend.

One thing for sure it will defo be sturdy. Although I do have to say 1" thick wood would have been alot sturdier.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Looking good Graham, your getting good with the brace making.

I'm not sure how you mean with the routing of the port, what is the problem you think your going to have?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dan,

I am talking about the exit port at the front of the subwoofer. I am going to cut some holes in bits of wood and test the router out to see what works. I have made alot of progress today and nearly have finished the sub all bar the outer baffles, side and bottom.

I even did the t nuts properly this time too. I even surprise myself sometimes.

Here are some more pics for you. I got my speaker plates today which is cool but I forgot to cut the hole out of the back before i glue and screwed.

Tomorrow will leave just to add the egg crate, the speaker cable, the side, top and bottom then vola! finished. I am hoping to do some testing tomorrow or Friday and then start building the second on Saturday. I have to say it is alot lighter than the first one but still solid as a rock.

Sorry for the fuzzy pics in places but the cold weather is making it quite hard to hold.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys,

I just managed to put the front baffle on so its now looking more like a sub.

I have alot of filling, sanding and cleaning up to do. The boring part!

Not much to do tomorrow. I just hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

1 - 20 of 237 Posts