Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Dylan,

As I said my problem isnt over excursion its the silly electrical ciruit. I think I need to get a more powerful fuse, one that is higher than 13amps as it seems the amp is capable of more power than the electrical circuit can cope with hence why I think it tripped the fuse in the EP4000 or atleast I am guessing that is what the problem is. I am running my amp 2 x 1200 watts into 2 0hms so whether that is some of the problem, I don't know.

It would be good to know what is the major factor in tripping the fuse on a PA amp. perhaps someone could advise.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi again graham,

just a quick OT question.

did you use T-nuts to secure you driver to box?

if so what size did you use? M6?

have you managed to veneer you babies yet?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #223
Hi Stuman,

I see you are building a Q15 sub on the avforums. I have so wanted to respond on there but I am unable.

T nuts, yep! I used T nuts. I used M5 t nuts as the Q18 needed M5 screws. I got mine from Winslow Audio originally then bought them off ebay and both were fine.

I drilled a 5mm hole first then from the inside I used a 6mm drill bit to open around the outside of the circle. Then I applied a very small amount of gorilla glue to the edges of the t nut and then placed it into the hole and then just gently hammered them in.

Leave them for a while to dry and they will be solid. Gorilla glue does stick anything to anything hence why you don't need much.

I have not veneered them yet as I have been thinking on making a 21 cu ft slot ported sub which I will use under my plasma and sell my D1 drivers and get two of the new spec Q18's which model better than the old ones. This will be tuned to 17hz instead of 13.5hz and will give me 121db plus room gain at 15hz with just one EP4000 amp. By having two D2 amps I will be able to add another EP4000 amp so I can run both drivers with 2000 watts each. This is the reason why I have held back on veneering them. Don't get me wrong these chuck out alot of bass but I still want more.

I have managed to trip the fuse on my EP4000 with my two subs and still not bottoming them out.

I will keep watching your build mate as its great to see anothe FI sub on there.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
Here are the sweeps I took.

2 purples - 5 hz and 1/4 turn. Not much difference between the two.
blue - half turn on the dial
red - 3/4 turn on the dial.

The gain I would say is a good 10db down from when it wasn't connected. That's alot which is a massive concern. I know the samson convert would bring the levels back up but would the behringer mic 2200 be a better option with regards to gains.

I have the EQ.2's gain on max.

I will run two sweeps, one with and one without to show the difference.

cheers
Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
And here's the difference in gain that I am loosing by having the EQ.2 in the chain. WOW.

The thing is I have the gain on the EP4000 on 30db and the sub trim level on -2db so I can't up it any more than I have. Im confused and worried especially as I am building the two multi tune subs.

I didn't realise it would be this bad.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Graham, if thats a 75db sweep then you have great output right down to 10hz, which I owuld be more than pleased at. FWIW, I think most people increase the volume the EQ 2 sets subs at by 3 db or so, so its worth doing that yourself after you run the eq.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
Dan,

I re calibrated the spl meter again as I had not done that after turning on the EQ.2. I have the gain on the eq.2 on 3/4 and have increased the volume on the onkyo from -30db to -25db to get 75db in REW spl calibration and this is what I have come up with.

It seems really loud now even though it is calibrated to 75db the same when I didn't have the EQ.2 in the chain. Wierd.

This is using the same method as before. Perhaps someone could tell me what the hpf looks like its cutting off each sweep.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I'm not upto speed on what HPF you are using Graham, what did you get? In any case, it looks as though its working around 11/12hz to me.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Here is my first sweep with a cut applied at 60hz and the subsonic filter set to just over half way.

Not sure what half way is but I presumed it was about 15hz.

How does this look with regards to the hpf.

This is with no EQ apart from Audyssey and the little cut I made. Pretty good I think.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
BTW, you can ignore the spike below 5hz, thats nothing to do with your HPF not working, if thats what your concern was.

Thats a pretty good response in my book :T HPF looks fine.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #235
I have just ran it with the speakers and this is really wierd. The speakers are really really loud. Volume is only on -25db so I don't know why they have come out at 95db when I haven't changed anything on the speaker levels.

Any ideas.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
I have increased the sub trim level to +3 from -5 so thats only 5db which is not too bad I guess. I have set the subsonic filter to 1/4 turn for the moment as I don't really need a hpf with my subs but it does sound less boomy but not sure if the EQ.2 has anything to do with that or not.

Here's my latest waterfall graph which looks much better.

I don't know what happened with REW as I checked the levels with the spl meter and they measured 74db for all five speakers.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
This is what I had the EQ.2 set on. I am guessing it is set at about 15hz. I haven't played with phase yet.

Perhaps someone could take a look for me.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

221 - 237 of 237 Posts