Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

141 - 160 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I have done it the other way around this time with much much better results. A lesson learned there. Never apply BFD filter before Audyssey. In my case with two subs it was a poor result.

A much better final result with two subs this time I think you will agree.

I also still have my 10-15hz lift too.

First is Sub and speakers with Audyssey (I think Audyssey has done a much better job without the filters applied first)

Second is Sub only with Audyssey applied and BFD filters.

Third is Sub and speakers with Audyssey and BFD filters. Job done.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Mike,

Got one. Do I need to disconnect the speakers and run sub only and then run some music.

I am listening to Plump DJ's on -27db and it sounds so sweet. Even at that volume its so clean and I don't think I am missing any mid bass at all.

Never going sealed ever again. That's a fact.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Mike,

I take it you mean the ones you can download which I use for REW.

The crazy thing is that I hated the SVS ported subs as they weren't musical enough for me and yet I build a sealed and end up with two ported subs. I have to say these two subs absolutely kill the PB13 I had in every way and even one of them would. Bass never sounded as deep as these bad boys do and they just glide through bass like knife through butter.

I wonder if the maelstroms sound as musical as the Q drivers in a ported sub. I would say that they don't based on the plots I get from Winisd.

Just heavan.....

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Ryan,

Thanks for that matey, I have test tones down to 1hz. Not that I will be playing them without a hpf that is.

Oh and one more thing....

I can finally say this...(couldn't say it on the avforums in the UK.)

I HAVE SUBS THAT KILL SVS SUBS!!!!! HA HA HA HA HA!

Sorry had to get it out of my system. Believe me I have been dying to say it for ages.

cheers

graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I checked my EQ on my subs tonight and decided to do it again. This time I have increased the sub time level to +5 on the onkyo and reduce the gain on the Behringer amp to 24db from max so that the signal being fed into the BFD is higher.

I have used less filters and less cuts which has given me a bit more between 30 and 80hz and I have also increased the crossover of the speakers to 80hz from 70hz which has also made it a bit better between the sub and the speakers.

1. Sub only with Audyssey
2. Sub only with Audyssey and BFD filters
3. Sub and Speakers with Audyssey and BFD filters.

I am going to listen to it over the next few days to see how it sounds plus I want to try some more test tones too this weekend. One thing I was going to ask is below a certain frequency how accurate are the analogue radioshack spl meters and do you have to allow for any correction in db.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
mike,

I have just looked quickly at the correction table and at 16hz it says add 11.5hz so in theory at 15hz I was reading 112db at -10db volume which I could have easily gone to reference means that it was actually 123db. So I could be seeing between 125 and 130db at 15hz in room with gain.

Does that sound right.

cheers

Graham

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
That's hard to say since there are so many variables as in the accuracy of the SPL meter itself and the accuracy of the correction table. I would take the readings with a grain of salt. Consider the readings a ball park figure. My question to you is did you apply the correction table to REW before you made your measurements?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Mike,

I did some measurements in REW last night on volume -20db and it was only about 108db as a flat response curve and that was at 10hz onwards. It was about 10pm last night so I did want to wake the neighbours. This was 2.5 metres from the subs which is where the listening position is.

Yes I have got the correct cal file for my spl meter applied.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Mike,

Will do matey. I will post some graphs to show you.

There was some cone movement when it started its measurement which I guess is its 0hz upwards that it does.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #157
Ryan,

Have you tried -0.5hz. That's a real test. :rofl2: On a lighter note have you decided what sub you are going for?

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
Ive got a nokia n900 phone. not sure how good that will be but I will have a go tonight when she goes to work.
cheers
i have a good pic on my phone but I dont know how to upload it from my phone.

graham
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Here's a little pic to show you the subs in the living room in their place of glory. The pic makes the room look narrow but it is 17 feet wide. Oh and that is a 50" plasma in the middle which looks like a 32".

cheers

Graham

Attachments

141 - 160 of 237 Posts