Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #182 (Edited)
I decided to set up the sub in sealed mode tonight to see what results I would get.

The first is sub only with Audyssey only and no BFD filters

The Second is sub only with Audyssey and BFD filters

The third is Sub and speakers still in sealed mode.

The fourth is me running some REW sweeps. I managed 100db at 10 at -15db on the master volume will still a fair bit off puff to go. So I am pleasantly impressed. I still had a good amount off excursion to go but couldn't go any further due to my neigbour being in bed.

I went up to -13db and got 103db at 10hz. Still could go more. This is with my sub calibrated to 80db. So 5db hot hot hot.

I was impressed with the fact that the difference between 20hz and 10hz was 10db. I am going to give it a bit more go at the weekend to see how far I can go.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The amp will likely give in before the drivers. I would ensure your sweeps start at 10 hz and not 1 to help remove possible issues related to that.

If you think the performance is there, I'd be interested to see what you make of the cabs in sealed mode, for obvious reasons. I always find they integrate better and sound and feel faster, more accurate, especially with music. It'll be interesting to what your thoughts are after you have given them a listen for a bit.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
Dan,

Yep, defo did started the sweeps at 10hz. I reckon I could almost hit 110db at 10hz which is pretty impressive I think. The qtc off them in sealed is 0.76 which isn't anywhere near as bad as the dual I had which was 0.9. I will let you know what I think off them on saturday when I have a listen with music.

The low tune I modelled in winisd does show a 6db gain over the sealed at 10hz for one sub and that is with not exceeding max excursion so I will run some graphs to compare both. It will be interesting though.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
The amp will likely give in before the drivers. I would ensure your sweeps start at 10 hz and not 1 to help remove possible issues related to that.

The sweeps always start at 0hz regardless of where you set the sweep range. At least this is the case for using a 10hz start setting in REW.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Dan,

Yep, defo did started the sweeps at 10hz. I reckon I could almost hit 110db at 10hz which is pretty impressive I think. The qtc off them in sealed is 0.76 which isn't anywhere near as bad as the dual I had which was 0.9. I will let you know what I think off them on saturday when I have a listen with music.

The low tune I modelled in winisd does show a 6db gain over the sealed at 10hz for one sub and that is with not exceeding max excursion so I will run some graphs to compare both. It will be interesting though.

cheers

Graham
There you go with excursion again :rant: lol. As you reach tune and output transfers from driver to port, the driver excursion is actually reduced. Well designed ported subs like yours wont show full excursion around tune until you hit very high levels, and these drivers can play at levels higher than the particular amp you have can run ;).

Your ported subs will always show more output, I wouldnt even consider that a point of contention. The whole reason for ported designs is to increases output from a driver, and essentially get more VFM. Given the high end nature of your subs, and the fact even in sealed mode they are capable of massive output, the only thing I would seek to compare between your ported tune modes and the sealed, is purely sound quality. Your ported subs are always going to sound as though they have more bottom end, so that point is moot IMO.

I always say, that if you want to have your sealed subs compare with a ported for output, then a fair comparison is a twin driver sealed to a single driver ported. A ported sub utilised the output from the rear of the driver, while a sealed does not, so in essence a sealed subs is only using half its available output, and 2 drivers are needed for a sealed design to compare to a ported in the output category. I would go so far as to say this is the only fair test between the 2 for output. The crux is the sealed obviously costs much more for this equal output, but the idea is that your investment is in sound quality.

This is why my interest in your comparison is focused entirely on a SQ comparison, not spl output.

The sweeps always start at 0hz regardless of where you set the sweep range. At least this is the case for using a 10hz start setting in REW.
Are you sure. When I started my 100db level sweeps from 1 hz the EP4000 would clip with my DIY sub, but when I changed it to a 10hz start, it didnt clip.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Dan,

Its not a rant mate. As I said we have different interests in what we both want and expect. That's a fact. You like sealed, I like ported. I like to know my limits and how hard I can push my subs, you don't. You just have to understand that fact. :rant: Right that's my rant over.

Right this is not a comparison but an initial impression. I watched Resident Evil Afterlife last night (IN SEALED MODE) and I was pleasantly impressed. There was alot off low end bass with a great deal off extension. There was a couple off scene's where the bass was very very low as you could see the drivers moving a fair bit but not enough to worry about. Obviously I need to watch the movie again in my middle tune to compare but the music parts off the film including the very beginning bit, the bass was pretty fast.

One thing I noticed which may be a factor off running it in sealed is that the lights on the EP4000 flickered really fast like when you get a really fast beat. Normally in ported mode the lights tend to stay on continously so it was light watching a firework show. The amp never got hot and the sound was very clear and precise so yes I have to say with my subs in sealed they do sound great.

I need to listen to some music over the weekend to clarify the differences with that. I'm going to watch how to train your dragon at the weekend again along with transformers 2.

So now I have 4 ways off tuning my subs to get the best off every option. I will confirm whether I like the sealed over the ported or ported over the sealed in a couple off days but for movies I am guessing that my mid tune ported will favour over sealed but sealed my favour over my high tune for music.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
The rant was supposed to mean me ranting, as in I keep banging on about this, never mind.

Your still completely missing the point Graham. I know exactly where the limits on every system I make are, but I am obviously not explaining it in a way you can understand, so I will call it quits on that front.

I look forward to your thoughts.

All the Best

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Ray,

I have had a really good listen between the both and the sealed does sound pretty good. Its a completely different sound. I have EQ'd the sealed flat with the BFD and calibrated both to 80db on the spl meter. For music sealed has the edge as there is more off a mid bass punch but it does lack the low end off the ported which is what I prefer. Don't get me wrong I still get a fair amount off bass even stuff like bassotronics etc.. But with that stuff ported is alot stronger in the low frequencies with more forceful attack.

Now my qtc on my sealed subs is at about 0.76 which is a tad bit higher than what sealed sub lovers normally design them to but all the same it still can produce very good low end bass.

I could watch and listen to films and music with both set ups but for me personally with my drivers and with my set up and design ported still wins for me.

I will still continue to do some more comparisons though just to make sure.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep, I have 3 ports which are 7" x 5" by 36" long.

All unblocked is 21.5hz tune
1 blocked 17.5hz tune
2 blocked 12.5hz tune

Port resonance stays the same for all 3 tunes which is about 190hz
A brilliant idea, I'm surprised more people don't do this. Next step might be linear actuators that you can use to change the vents from the listening position :)

Awesome looking subs.

181 - 193 of 193 Posts