Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Yah I definitely remember.

Still waiting to build that sub in the future.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Lsiberian,

Thank you for the nice comments. I have now primed one off the subs with 2 coats off primer and the other with the 3rd which is drying over night. 3 coats is nice and white now. I just need to route the backs tomorrow and prime them with 3 coats and then add one more to the other sub and I will be ready for the gloss black.

It is now very hard to move around because off the weight and size so I have to get the better half to help.

I am feeling quietly confident with the 3 tunes and probably will use the middle one most off the time.

I will defo need some advice on using the EQ.2 when I get it up and running. I am guessing as I don't listen to reference pretty much never and only at moderate levels I should not need to use the hpf but I will know as soon as I start listening and doing the tests.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Project and a half this Graham, fair play to you :T I have to say I'm looking forward to seeing the finished results and those graphs, if these dont rock, nothing will :hsd:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Cheers fellas for the nice comments. I have taken my time with this one as I have learnt alot from the last build so now I have not made any mistakes to date which is cool.

There's still lots off things to do but I hope the results will speak for themself.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi guys,

First layer of japlac gloss paint is on and drying. Will defo need two or three coats. This stuff is £7 for a 250ml tin. I am going to need another 2 tins I reckon to finish but it is starting to look good. I will upload some more pics when I have the second coat on. Need to wet sand the first coat and then apply the second.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I will defo need some advice on using the EQ.2 when I get it up and running. I am guessing as I don't listen to reference pretty much never and only at moderate levels I should not need to use the hpf but I will know as soon as I start listening and doing the tests.

cheers

Graham
Most of the time a highpass filter actually helps performance if it's set at the tuning frequency, this is something you should play with and see which you prefer. With the cross sectional port area you have you will have the most your sub can deliver for the power you feed it.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Lsiberian

I appreciate your help. I will take that on board and see what the REW graphs show.

It feels a long way away but hopefully not too long.

cheers

Graham

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hurry up and sand those things so we can see the pics!!:D

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I still can't get over the artistrey and craftsmanship that has gone into your project i'm simply amazed and can't wait for a finaly.:sn:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Bambino,

thanks matey, I have put the first coat off black paint on and wet sanded down. I need to buy some more primer and japlac gloss black paint but I am pretty much skint until I get paid next friday. I am going to try and get some this weekend so I can get that part finished and then route the tops off the back pieces. After that there's not too much left to do.

Will try and get some pics up at the weekend.

cheers guys.

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am trying to find some websites on veneering and staining but I am struggling to find any.

Any suggestions would be appreciated i.e: what is the best stuff to use prior to staining etc....

I have sheets off american white oak veneer but want to make it cherry to match my monitor audio RS speakers which are cherry too.

I need to make the stain have a gloss finish too.

cheers
Graham

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Quite a few months ago i was searching for veneer also, i googled wood veneer and found a site that showed what this guy was the best way and type of veneer to use and there was also gobs of different places to order from. Sorry but it's been so long now i don't remember any of the names of the companys or the DIY site for it, if you don't have any luck let me know and i'll give it a shot.:T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
If you want the gloss look, kinda like the wood is locked inside glass, then you will have to put a clear lacquer over that finished stained cabinet. That kind of finish looks awesome though, and will make you speakers look decidedly cheap in comparison if you pull it off right.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Dan,

Ive been reading about applying a shellac sanding sealer before you apply any stain or varnish.
Is that correct as I found when I did my previous tests straight onto veneer it came out very dark.

I have wet sanded the black again tonight so its nice and smooth ready to get some more paint tomorrow.

cheers
Graham

P.S: Dan I made a bit off a boo boo when I sized up my subs. My veneer sheets are 48" by 96" and my sub is 48" high which means I can't use the 48" dimension and means twice as much veneer. Oops! I really need the veneer to be about 49" as it shrinks.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The place iwas looking at for veneer had custom sizes, i just looked in my history but the site i was at wasn't there:scratch:, i'll do some digging and see if i can come up with somthing.:T

21 - 40 of 193 Posts