Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Little update....

Its staining time and it is turning out to be a bit off a nightmare. I found a local company that sells lots off stains and emailed them a picture off my speaker to get a match. I ordered american and clear gloss hard wax oils. I mixed one part american and four parts clear gloss. It came out more like oak than an orangey yellow colour (light cherry) Pics attaced for that. I have now ordered 6 more but they are 5 stains and one hard wearing clear gloss varnish.

This is the company I have ordered them from.

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/products/wood-finishes/wood-stains/water-based-stain.htm

I have ordered the following wood stains

Antique Yew
Golden
Cherry

And the following wood dyes

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/products/wood-finishes/wood-stains/concentrated-wood-dye.htm

orange
yellow

I will try various mixes to get what I need. They should arrive tomorrow for me to do some more tests.

I am open to some suggestions.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
I ordered some more wood stain in 5 different colours. I ordered two wood dyes too, one in orange and yellow. I found that mixing 0.5 part orange and 4 parts Antique yew gave a very close colour.

Here's some pics. I will be ordering the stain this Friday to start asap. I found that hard wax oil gives a nice finish too.

On pic two its the top part that is what the speaker colour is actually and not the lighter part at the bottom. The lighting is rubbish.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I put on the wood stain yesterday. It was a nightmare mixing the stain with the dye to match what I had already done. In the end I gave up and just went ahead and stained it. Its looks quite orange at the moment but once I have sanded it down and applied the hard wax oil it will be just about right. I did a test with some clear gloss varnish on the inner baffle part and it really brought out the grain nicely.

I would have applied the oil today but the shop didn't send me the stuff. Aaaahhh!

I noticed that on the top there's a bit which is lighter so it looks like it didn't get the same amount off stain. Really disappointed but I don't want to apply any more as it will make the top darker than the rest. I was surprised that it only took me about 20 minutes to stain the whole sub.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Yep ports out the top, that way I have no need for a 90 degree bend. I was quite surprised that there was not glue marks on them.

cheer guys.

Graham

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Pretty nice to me!!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Guys,

MicB, where do you live?

Thanks for the nice comments. I am dying to get them in but I need to order my wax oil first to finish the first one off. I think I might get a few laughs when you see them in the living room. The current ones look big so I can't imagine what these will look like. I am picking the foam port blockers up tomorrow. Cost for the blockers for all 6 was £25 including vat. I got them made to 7" deep and 1/4" bigger than the ports which should be fine as the foam is pretty solid.

I wish I had more money as I need to spend a bit more to get them finished. I still need to make the grills. I have the wood which was left over from the last build. I just need to get the cloth. I know what i am doing with the grills which will match how the grills are on the monitor audio RS speakers I own.

I need to get some feet as I didn't veneer the bottom off the sub. Ran out off veneer.

I am going to see if I can get some wax oil because my plan was to get them in next weekend.

We'll see.....

cheers

Graham

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Can you show some detailed pics on your grill build?

I am still trying to build my grilles and wanted to see how others are doing theirs.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Will do matey. Here's roughly what they will look like with the grills on. I will route a curve going around the edge of the frame before I fix the cloth so it is smooth.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
wow, that took a few minutes to cut....intered in your results as i am sure many others are too. at first, i though you were gonna do a quasi box of sorts to get the multiple tuning. nice work. what are you going to finish the outside cabinet in? from a durabilty standpoint, black formica is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Hi there,

I have stained the first one in a mix off antique yew wood stain and orange die to get a similar colour to my monitor audio cherry speakers. I will finish off with two coats of hard wax oil to give it a sheen and protect the wood. Basically with the three tune you keep the same length port but have three ports. Mine are 7" x 5". So all unblocked gives 21.5hz tune, 1 blocked will give 17.5hz tune and 2 ports blocked will give me a 12.5hz tune. Block all three obviously is sealed. I can still run these sealed with 800 watts off input power without going over max excursion and that gives a qtc off 0.774 which should still be fine.

I will be drawing a more detailed picture off the grill tonight.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Graham,

as the bottom isnt veneered, why not consider something like a DIY Aurelex Grammar, or even something like a granite plinth for the bottom. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Micb,

I live in sittingbourne, kent so not a million miles away so feel free to pop down if you want matey. It would be good to get someone else's opinion especially if things can be improved.

Dan,

I've not really thought about the bottom. I may veneer it at a later date or put some feet on the bottom that can easily be slid across the floor.

cheers

Graham

81 - 100 of 193 Posts