Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 193 Posts

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I am approx 40 miles north of London.

IIRC you are south east?

I am very tempted to make a journey over some weekend to come say hi and hear those bad boy woofers.

Shame Moonfly is up much further north.
Yeah its a good 4 hours for me to travel to Grahams. Ive considered it before and we talked about it, but its a long day, 8 hours with just the travelling. I would like to hear these, but in a groovey twist of fate, I'm going to be building something very very similar in the very near future. I'm looking forward to comparing these to my own sealed builds.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Hard wax oil ordered today so I will be applying that on Saturday. Yipee!

Testing, testing, 1,2,3 time soon.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Dan,

I reckon the 17.5hz tune but for music the 21.5hz tune for defo.

And for Bassotronics, 12.5hz tune. :hsd:

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
So how does the tuning work, the same way as the SVS? Doe you simply have 3 equal length ports, and plugging in various ways results in your different tunes?

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Dan,

Yep, I have 3 ports which are 7" x 5" by 36" long.

All unblocked is 21.5hz tune
1 blocked 17.5hz tune
2 blocked 12.5hz tune

Port resonance stays the same for all 3 tunes which is about 190hz

I have made sure the port velocity is low (see page 1 on this thread matey) except for the low tune which is about the same as I am running now and have not chuffing issues at all.

I think velocity of the other tunes is below 20 m/s with hpf engaged.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Cool, no mention of that all elusive sealed mode I see :D (no doubt this cab is probably too large for sealed anyway, resulting in a very low Q, probably too low). What are you using to block the ports with.

I agree with Mike though, these will indeed be interesting, and its going to leave plenty of graphs to work through. If your using Audyssey though, you might be forced to choose a particular tune. Shame it doesnt come with presets :rolleyesno:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Dan,

That's why I have bought 6 port blockers. :T

I can run sealed with 800 watts without going over max excursion which will be fine as the EP4000 only kicks out about that in real terms and still gives a qtc off 0.774. Should be fine.

I will run Audyssey in the 17.5hz tune and then just use the BFD for the fine tuning. To be honest when I had the PB13 ultra I wouldn't re run Audyssey everytime I changed a port blocker for a different tune. All that should do is cut off the frequency at the lower end but I will know soon enough.

cheers

Graham

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I look forward to seeing the results :T If I was closer, or just loaded with time to kill, I would come and have a listen too.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I just did a test with the high tune as I don't know what kind off graph I am going to get. I noticed that with my untouch plain winisd file between 25 and 60hz I get a hump which makes sense when you see my alignment. I can add two sets of EQ boost at 20hz and 60hz to get it more flat and still stay within xmax at 1000 watts. I am guessing that the EP4000 doesn't chuck out 1000 watts rms into 2 ohms so I should have more headroom than with this boost.

You can see with my alignment that is is +3 on the normal file and +5 on my modified file.
What does this exactly mean in terms off what can be expected.

That's not bad spl off 124db between 30hz znd 70hz and that's only one sub.

Perhaps someone has some opinion and experience with this.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I just applied the first coat off wax oil. Went a dream so pics to follow in a bit. This stuff is a bit sticky.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Here's some more pics. the camera even though an 8 mega pixel has not really taken a very good shot but this is after the second coat off wax oil. I took a sample bit back into the living room and it is the same colour but about 5% darker so it will have to do now. I am a bit disappointed but I can't change it now.

It might look different once I get it in the living room.

Ignore the bottom of the subs colour as that is the camrea making it more yellow. Pic 2 is more accurate for colour.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

101 - 120 of 193 Posts