Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 193 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Pretty sweet looking.

Your finished product looks alot better than mine have been going!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
No I am still saving up for them. I also have to convince the wifey. They would be a big cabinet also, but after she saw me finishing my THT Lp build she is starting to understand that the Mael's are actually a smaller package.

The only bad thing is the Maels are going to cost about double what the THT's would cost.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Guys,

A quick update.....

I have fitted the speaker plates and speaker wire along with all the foam. I have filled the foam pretty much all inside the sub except for underneath the port area. My brother is getting here in an hour to bring them in. They are really heavy so its going to be fun. I am really excited now...

Just checked the port blockers and they fit perfect..... Yippee!

Just to check one thing. Do I still need the hpf engaged when I run Audyssey on the mid and high tunes.

Testing very soon.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Looking forward to hearing your impressions, good to hear your on your way to some fun.:hsd: As far as the filter goes i think i might try it without first and not push it to hard then hook it up and see how they sound.:T

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I would run Audyssey without the filer, as it will try boost the frequencies filtered out, which could be a waste of filters. That said, you might want Audyssey to account for the use of the HPF, so I think its swings and roundabouts, and its probably a case of take your pick really.

The best way of course, would be to try it both ways to find which, if any, is the best way of doing it, but I'm fairly sure I couldnt be bothered personally.

Looking forward to your testing though :T

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
Dan,

I didn't get chance to do any testing as the poxy t nuts failed on the second sub. It was a complete nightmare as I had to try and get 3 screws out. I used normal wood screws in the end which is fine. I have to say initial impressions is there is a noticible difference between all tunes. This is based on my currenty Audyssey calibration. In the high tune you can hear more bass, the middle tune you hear a mix off low bass and mid bass (lower mid bass I guess you could call it.) and the low tune is lower still but lacks the harder bass of the high tune. The good thing is that there is a difference between all and the graphs will tell the whole story. I am going to watch a film tonight on the mid tune to see how it is.

The sub looks absolutely brilliant. Just slightly darker than the speakers. It looks like I just bought it out off the shop. I don't mean to blow my own trumpet but it looks fantastic. Pics tomorrow on this.

The veneered and stained one doesn't look that big in the room either. The un veneered one looks bigger and the driver looks smaller. Wierd.

I have set the hpf on low and even on the high tune on -20db volume there was no excursion worries although I wasn't playing bassotronics but I did play some dubstep and it was fine.

The drivers are in the exact same position as the previous ones for height and position so sound wise they will sound good.

I will run some graphs on Monday.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
A couple of pics for you all. I watched Nightmare on Elm Street last night in the mid tune and there was a few good bassy scenes which you could feel from the sofa. Pretty impressed and it did sound efforless. Just looking forward to running some graphs. Need to re run Audyssey too but I will see how the graphs look first.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Nice finished sub.

The movie was alittle disappointing but hopefully the other movies will be better and directed by Rob Zombie.:)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Cheers Bambino. I haven't made the grills yet but I have two pieces off mdf left from the old build for which I will make the cutouts and apply speaker cloth. It will match the grills on my monitor Audio RS6 speakers which has curved edges. I will route a rounded edge on the grills. I will mock up something in sketchup.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Owen, funny you should mention it. I have noticed more cracks in the ceilings. I put it down to poor workmanship off the house builder but I reckon it may well be the subs. LOL.

I am just dying to get home now so I can run some graphs.

cheers

Graham

121 - 140 of 193 Posts