Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Some time ago, I build a Disub Subwoofer using 2 18 inch woofers, just wanted you all to know, that is works well, it is positioned behind the couch, in the middle of my room, and it shakes, not only the couch, the whole house!
I used it first in my stereo setup, but it is far more effective as a effect subwoofer in the home cinema setup.
In the stereo setup I use 2 disub, with in totall 4 peerless 12 inch woofers, they sound great too.
Since beginning of the year I use the Najda DSP/Pre/X-over, a fully digital board as the center of my stereo, using a Squeezebox Touch connected to my PC to listen to my music, so easy, so good......
Using REW I equalized the response within about 4 DB range from 30 to 15000 Hz, very easy with the NUC (control software of the Najda board) and this is a really good board, anyone with a little skil can build a good tool with this board, it needs a powersupply and a casing, all the rest can be supplied by Nick Holzem, see the DIYAUDIO forum if anyone is interested...
I incude 2 pics, have fun!

Tojoko.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Yes, they are Neo8s, sound really nice, have to be corrected, equalized, by the Najda Preamp, but than they sound magic! After experimenting for years, I find dipoles give the best, fastest, spacial, sound possible from loudspeakers, no more boxes for me!

regards, Tojoko.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very nice setup. I love dipoles and can say you've definitely done a nice job with them. :T

How do you like the stacked Neo8s? Is comb filtering a problem? There're a couple pairs sitting in a prized place on my parts shelf waiting for just the right design and am not ashamed of ripping off someone else's good idea (granting credit where due, of course). :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
Thanks for your reply, stupid maybe, but what is comb filtering?
The only thing with the Neo's and many other ribbonlike tweeters is the listening position, there is only one good sweet spot, so if you are listening alone, like I am, there is no problem, but not good with more people.

Tojoko

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi
Thanks for your reply, stupid maybe, but what is comb filtering?
The only thing with the Neo's and many other ribbonlike tweeters is the listening position, there is only one good sweet spot, so if you are listening alone, like I am, there is no problem, but not good with more people.

Tojoko
Comb filtering is interference between two drivers covering the same frequency spectrum unless the acoustic centers are pretty tight together (less than 1/4 wavelength of the highest frequency is best). You can see how messy it can get with lobing in some designs unless sitting far enough back.

I was just wondering if that was a problem or not much of a bother.

After posting, my mind finally dredged up some old information I had forgotten that von Recklinghausen's quasiribbon design, which I believe the Neo series are based on these) had a vertical dispersion of something around five to ten degrees. So, comb filtering, inevitable as it is, could be/should be pretty minor.

Yep, sounds like dipoles. I've a love-hate thing going with them. The listening position could be worse. I heard a pair of Quad ESL-57s once; the sweetspot was narrower than my head. If I so much as twitched, there went the soundtage.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

Thanks for the info on combfiltering, a bit late, I was on vacation, in the USA! I visited North Carolina, Tennesee, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida, we had a great time!

tojoko.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts