Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

With all the fan fare going on over at the Aus DTV forum regarding the Submersive I was wondering what peoples thoughts were regarding doing it DIY style with a couple Maelstrom's? How would you model them and would you think its worthwhile over a LLT slot ported single Maelstrom sub?

Feel free to say its a silly idea, just had my thinking cap on :)

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
As long as you can accommodate the correct size box to get the system Q of the sealed box right, I say go for it. I like sealed subs and think its certainly a good idea.

Comparing it to a ported sub, the submersive style will have about equal depth to a single driver ported sub, but will have increased upper end output. Its really down to you if thats what your after. Many people find it hard to refuse porting their subs because of the extra low end output it gives. I feel if your going sealed then you need 2 drivers, and if you do, then I feel its the best match of low end output and upper bass slam.

To model them, model a twin driver sealed sub, and double the volume you would for a single driver. You can then model a single driver ported sub and compare the graphs directly. One thing you do need to be sure of with a sealed sub, is that you feed it with plenty of power, and you have the added eq you'll almost certainly required to get the low end response right.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I believe the SubMersive is a Compound Loading Loudspeaker System, which is a pretty trick design. I believe mark is running them out of phase of each other in a push pull configuration but I could be wrong. I have built serveral of these enclosre and they are my favorite sounding subs but there are trade offs with this design, as there are with any other. I say build one and let us know what you think.

Matt

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Hi there,

They are not in a push/pull configuration, they are a normal both in phase dual opposite sealed sub. I did the same thing with two Q18's in a 11 cu ft box running a behringer EP4000 amp bridged into 4 ohms at 2400 watts rms. With two malx's you could use a smaller box and run 2 EP4000's and would be a total bass killer. The obvious advantage is zero vibrations through the cabinet.

Mine worked brilliantly although mine weighed over 300lbs!

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It'll be big and heavy. Figure on about 24x24x48" (about 12 cu ft internal for both drives is as small as I'd personally go.) and 250-300lbs when it's all said and done (caster's are your friend). You will want a lot of amplifier. 2 EP4000's or something much bigger for a single amp solution.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
I dont think you would need more than 1 EP4000 personally, I run my dual driver sealed sub from a single amp and dont have any issues. Let me download the driver file and run a model and see what it comes out like.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You can make the box smaller in dual opposed with those drivers, but to get good low end output you will need to apply EQ to boost the low end coupled with the room gain depending on room size, but you will eat up alot of amp power by boosting with EQ, so it would necessary to have a decent amp if you choose to make the box smaller.

Dual Opposed subs are great and offer advantages that singles don't, but you will need a good size box with the Mal-X's

The Mal-X's still work pretty well with a smaller box.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi All,

With all the fan fare going on over at the Aus DTV forum regarding the Submersive I was wondering what peoples thoughts were regarding doing it DIY style with a couple Maelstrom's? How would you model them and would you think its worthwhile over a LLT slot ported single Maelstrom sub?

Feel free to say its a silly idea, just had my thinking cap on :)
DTV forum has few DIYers so little experience of what real sub capabilities are like, so when they hear about a powerful and competent commercial sub like Mark's they get all in a blather, so take what they say with a large grain of salt.

If you were to take your drivers, which you have said (paraphrasing) are about all you could ever need in sealed boxes, and put them in large LLT's, you'll get the same SPL as now, but deeper.

Because we don't know what driver Mark is using, for argument's sake, a pair of Tempest 15's will give about 3dB more than a single Mal in a similarly tuned enclosure. A pair of single Mal's will better the pair of Tempests by another 3dB or so. Putting a pair of drivers push-push into an enclosure has advantages in vibration, a pair push pull can also cancel some of the even order non linearities in motor and suspension.

A pair of single Mal's can have placement and room response advantages over a pair of drivers in one enclosure.

So you already most likely have more capability then the Submersive with your current Mal's. A pair of Mal's per enclosure, push pull whether sealed or LLT would comprehensively best them I would think.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Its has been said that there is little difference between a push pull and a pull pull and the only thing I have read about it a slight less distortion. Sound wise no difference from what I've read.

In my opinion a LLT would be the prefered route but then its big but it depends on what is your bag. I have to say I don't really notice much difference between my dual sealed I had to my ported subs now other than my ported subs go alot deeper. Music wise the sealed might edge it slightly but that about it.

After doing both, if I was in your position and had two drivers I wouldn't waste it on one sub, I would definitely make two. The difference in my room with two was chalk and cheese. My un EQ'd response was much better and I found they intergrated with the room alot better.

In the real world if I had four drivers I might be tempted to do 2 dual sealed, maybe.

cheers

Graham

1 - 11 of 11 Posts