Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some suggestions on a speaker upgrade for my 2012 Ford F-150. I have the standard stereo and although it's very bland sounding I wasn't willing to pay for their Sony upgraded sound system. What I'm looking for is a speaker and amp upgrade but I would like to keep the stock stereo as I really like the aesthetics of the truck and don't want to alter the look. I have two rear speakers and two fronts both in the doors as well as two tweeters that I'd like to replace. If I need an amp to push them I would also be willing to do that as well. Not interested in a sub as I need my rear area for work gear and kids. I don't really have a set budget but I would prefer to stay under $750. Thank you for your replies.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I have a 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum that I am about to take the front pillar tweeters out and look at here in just a little while today so that I can see what will fit. Are your tweeters in the front pillars?

I know the front and rear door speakers are 5 x 7, but you could put 6.5" in there with an adapter. I have the Sony system in mine and it is fairly respectable at lower volumes, but if you attempt to crank it up much at all it begins to stress in the upper mids and highs... very harsh. The mid-bass is pretty good. I have the Sony sub/amp under the rear seat and it is okay, but will be replaced with a Sundown SD10 and a better power amp.

I also have an 07 Explorer Sport Trac which I put a complete aftermarket system in. I did not replace the rear door speakers and probably want in the 2010. I used Massive CK6 Stage II separates in the front of the 07 and I think I am going back with those in the front of the 2010. They have incredible mid-bass. If I can get the Massive CK 6X separates (new for 2012) to fit, I think I will go with those... but if they will fit is TBD. I hope to know here shortly.

If you just wanted to replace the speakers, I would look at the Infinity models on Amazon. My brother replaced his factory speakers with these and they sound pretty good and don't require much power.

If you want to step up to separates in the front I would probably try to power them. My preference on car power is JL Audio. There are a LOT of fine amps out there, but JL Audio seems to be what has always fit what I needed and are highly regarded as having accurate/true specs... especially in their HD series. I plan to move my HD900/5 from the 07 to the 10.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sonnie,
Thanks for all of that great info. I'm checking out some Polk Audio DB 571's right now. They're rated 93 sensitivity and probably would work just fine with the stock head unit. I'll check out the Infinity's here in just a bit. I really don't need much but do want more than I have. Yes, the tweeters are in the pillars next to the safety handles.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Are you sure the speakers are 5x7s? Ford uses 6x8s in a number of their vehicles. Crutchfield's "what fits" guide will tell you for sure.

If you want to keep the factory stereo, check out the JL Audio Cleansweep. It "undoes" factory freq response modifications to get nearly a flat response. You will need an amp, tho. The Cleansweep takes line or speaker ins, but only has line outs. I have one in a Town Car and it made a lot of difference.

As for brands of speakers, I used to buy Polks, but found that the tweeters did not last long in hot interiors - never failed, but developed a horrible resonance in upper midrange. I have Kenwood Excelon 6x8s that I like a lot - a little bit "forward" in the midrange, but good bass from a 6x8. I also had Pioneers that sounded quite good. Never tried a plate. Only had a component speaker set once - a JBL with separate woofer and tweeter. Regretted buying it after a while, tho. Rather screechy.

Speaker buying for cars is pretty much hit and miss. The car audio demo boards at brick and mortar stores are pretty much worthless.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did a search on the Ford F-150 forum and it appears that 5x7 is correct. Of course there's a lot of modification talk to make different sizes fit but I really don't want to do that. I'm going to try just the 4 speakers for now and see how that sounds. I was leaning towards the Polk's but after what you said and Sonnie's recommendation of the Infinity's now I'm leaning that way. The Infinity reference series is also rated a 93 sensitivity so they should be ok with the stock head unit.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Polks may be OK now. It was 10 years or so since I tried them. The Infinitys will do a nice job for you. Crutchfield shows both 5x7 and 6x8 as fitting. Some 5x7s have mounting holes to fit a 6x8 bolt pattern.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Polk's seem to be fairly well reviewed but the Infinity's have some glowing reviews. Some say the bass is a little lacking but I really don't need much. I just want clean and clear sounding over my current stock speakers which are really muddy and bland sounding. Some even say when hooked up to a 4 ch amp the bass response isn't all that bad. Not sure if I want to go the amp route or not.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I'll be ordering the Infinity's when I get home. Thank you both for your input.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I hope you end up liking them. I have not heard any Polk speakers lately, but I do know there are a lot of guys on the F150 forums using them, so they must not be too bad, although I did read that several of the guys bought the lower end model and ended up stepping up to the best model they had available to get good sound.

I checked the pillar tweeter and the Massive CK 6X tweeters will be tight, but I think they will fit. I am more worried about the depth than the diameter. If they don't then I have a buddy that can fiberglass them in for me.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sonnie said:
I hope you end up liking them. I have not heard any Polk speakers lately, but I do know there are a lot of guys on the F150 forums using them, so they must not be too bad, although I did read that several of the guys bought the lower end model and ended up stepping up to the best model they had available to get good sound.

I checked the pillar tweeter and the Massive CK 6X tweeters will be tight, but I think they will fit. I am more worried about the depth than the diameter. If they don't then I have a buddy that can fiberglass them in for me.
They were both reviewed pretty well. The Infinity's just a tad higher though. I was leaning towards the Polk's mostly because of the high sensitivity (93). The Infinity's are also rated at 93 so I'm going to go with them. I think I'll try them without the amp at first and see how they sound. I'm going to leave the tweeters in the pillars alone for now.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
I liked them a lot - very smooth midrange. Problem was after about a year, the tweeters developed a screeching resonance in upper mids - happened on two sets in different cars. Again, that was 10 or so years ago and that may have been fixed by now.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No Sonnie not just yet. Pretty hectic around here trying to puppy proof the house and buying houses and crates. I plan on installing sometime the first week of September.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Did you listen to the Ford Sony system? If so, how was it? I may be trading cars sometime next year and am considering a Taurus. My brother has a Lexus with the Mark Levinson system - very nice, but the price of admisssion is a little steep:)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hjones4841 said:
Did you listen to the Ford Sony system? If so, how was it? I may be trading cars sometime next year and am considering a Taurus. My brother has a Lexus with the Mark Levinson system - very nice, but the price of admisssion is a little steep:)
I wasn't all that impressed though it did sound better than the basic stock system. Can't remember the exact price but way overpriced.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hjones4841 said:
On a side note. You might check out the 2013 Fusion. They redesigned the body and it's a very sharp looking car.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts