Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone... glad to be here at the Shack!

We have been experimenting with a few projects and recently developed what we believe will be an excellent 21" IB driver.

We realize this is a limited market, but it is all in good fun and we would appreciate your feedback. :yes:

Here are the parameters:

Fs: 24 Hz
Re 3 Ohm Series
Qms: 8.01
Qes: 0.73
Qts: 0.67
Mms: 419 g
Cms 0.10 mm/N
Vas: 372 L
Sd: 1620 cm^2
BL: 15.4
Xmax: 33mm
Xmech: 42mm
SPL: 90.5 1w/1m
1500 RMS

Thanks,
Nick

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hi Nick...

I am not that up on parameters, but probably one of the most important questions is what kind of pricing will you have on it... can you at least give us a ballpark estimate?

·
Registered
361 Posts
The specs look good to me. The limited knowledge I have in the t/s field they look good anyway. I like the sound of a 21 ib driver.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Welcome to HTS Nick.

I have a few questions...
What is the estimated pricing? Are these production parameters, or is it still in the prototype/design phase? What is the effects of inductance going to be like on this driver? Most IB drivers are usually quite good in this regard due to lighter vc's and smaller motors.

The suspension seems quite stiff on this guy (high FS, low CMS) for an IB driver. Looks like it'll take a lot of power to approach xmax in free-air. Around 850w and probably a bit more in reality due to compression and losses. This is good from a reliability and safety standpoint, but causes it to roll off a bit of the lows. Not many people put 1000w into each IB driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to HTS Nick.

I have a few questions...
What is the estimated pricing? Are these production parameters, or is it still in the prototype/design phase? What is the effects of inductance going to be like on this driver? Most IB drivers are usually quite good in this regard due to lighter vc's and smaller motors.

The suspension seems quite stiff on this guy (high FS, low CMS) for an IB driver. Looks like it'll take a lot of power to approach xmax in free-air. Around 850w and probably a bit more in reality due to compression and losses. This is good from a reliability and safety standpoint, but causes it to roll off a bit of the lows. Not many people put 1000w into each IB driver.
I think we are going to put this unit in the $450 shipped range. These are close to production T/S's - this driver is setup to take 1000 RMS to get to full Xmax of 30mm - I don't think alot of people plan to have 4 21 IB's in there living room. We build all these drivers by hand - so we have alittle play in the final T/S. Keep in mind VD is 10560 cm^2. :)

Nick

·
Registered
96 Posts
The wife is totally opposed to me putting subs in the ceiling. Does any one have a clue if these would work in an open baffle application? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I think we are going to put this unit in the $450 shipped range. These are close to production T/S's - this driver is setup to take 1000 RMS to get to full Xmax of 30mm - I don't think alot of people plan to have 4 21 IB's in there living room. We build all these drivers by hand - so we have alittle play in the final T/S. Keep in mind VD is 10560 cm^2. :)

Nick
Thanks for the reply. Any other notes you'd like to share? VC size, layers, configuration? If I was going to use these it would be 4...You may be surprised at what people do. I'd expect people to use no less than 2 of these (equivalent to 4-15's).

·
Registered
430 Posts
The wife is totally opposed to me putting subs in the ceiling. Does any one have a clue if these would work in an open baffle application? Thanks.
One of the largest determining factors when it comes to OB speakers is mechanical noise. If a speaker is noisey, it's useless for OB use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reply. Any other notes you'd like to share? VC size, layers, configuration? If I was going to use these it would be 4...You may be surprised at what people do. I'd expect people to use no less than 2 of these (equivalent to 4-15's).
Sorry for the delay - I've been over ran as always!

Right now - it has a 4 layer coil in it and is a Dual 2 - but we can change to give whatever impendence you need.

The price right now on the IB is $450 as the parts to build bigger drivers is very high - if it's IB or HT drivers. The good thing is we can do the HT version for around the same price point. Working on all of this now. Expect more soon!

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Sounds good. A D2 version and maybe a D4 version (or D1) would probably cover just about everybody.

Waiting for details on the HT version...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Massive driver, massive displacement and not that expensive. I mean the Maelstrom X is, what, like $395 for an 18"'er. Is there anything I'm missing here ? :) Going by pure displacement numbers, this thing should blow it out of the water for not much more.

Regards,

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not quite. The specs listed for the Incriminator sub are for an IB application, not for sealed or ported.
But they did say they could make an HT friendly version. I'm assuming they must have easy access to a build house or are a buildhouse themselfs, otherwise being able to change soft parts and voice coils would require quite a bit of time if they're made in China.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts