Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
361 Posts
Since Nick posted this one on the car audio forums after leaving CES, I might as well pop it on here as well :)

While not exactly the most useful basket for some monster HT or SPL applications, it was designed to round out the 12 spoke family. I used the 8" spider so that we have series uniformity/parts consolidation. Im not a fan of using 20 different spiders, coil sizes, and motors for the same "series".
We will have the revised 8" basket soon too. I have never been happy with the open tooling available for the 8" 12 spoke and recently redesigned things a little to accept a slightly larger spider and have better overall geometry.

If there is enough HT interest, and I do seem to be getting more and more emails about it, I am not opposed to doing some very HT specific drivers. When things settle down a little more and I clear up some of the new things from CES, I will spend a little time seeing what can be tweaked and what people feel they would want from a driver series or two and see what we can come up with.

Not too much of a "word" needs to be put in for the HT guys. It has been a driving force of mine for many years. I would much rather do HT OEM work than car audio oriented. It greatly reduces any failures designing for completed HT applications. While DIY HT is a little more akin to car audio(sorry, no disrespect ;) ) as there are significantly more user controlled variables than for completed products or systems, it has 20X less the issues that car audio user have.

Thanks,
Scott
ahhh... I've been wanting for a pic for such a long time. I fear with tax $$$ here and no release date in site yet, I will probably be ordering an IB18 in the next couple of days and use that for a while until the 21" or 22" is available. I actually googled FIAudio to go to it and order now, couldn't find it, and bumped into this thread.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Buddhaears... We do plenty of OEM work. So if you have something specific, let me know. We have many many standard motor platforms to work from, or if something a little more specific needs to be made, its not an issue either.

Kryptonitewhite... www.ficaraudio.com
I'm never a fan of release dates. I didn't even want to release pics of things either, but someone let it slip about the other 22" basket we have designed and it led into this one (which we have worked on for a while now) and I didn't want the HT crowd to be left out. Normally with Fi, we simply pop up a new series when its ready to ship. There is a certain amount of lag behind dropping product suddenly, but Id rather it be that way then people waiting and waiting with unforeseen delays plaguing a specific ship date. But... with an IB22, its not a major release where we have everything tooled from the ground up. Realistically its only 4 parts (basket, cone, surround, gasket). So I don't think it'll be too bad of a wait. Couple months and we are good to go. But I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Banned
361 Posts
Buddhaears... We do plenty of OEM work. So if you have something specific, let me know. We have many many standard motor platforms to work from, or if something a little more specific needs to be made, its not an issue either.

Kryptonitewhite... www.ficaraudio.com

Thanks,
Scott
Well ya just got one if you don't mind D1 coils HEHE.... just kidden... order sent! I'll have pics up ASAP and a break-in vid or 2 as well

I'm sure most of you know, this IB18 ain't goin in no infinite baffle in home :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd be interested as well; a pair of these would round-out my Maelstrom six-pack nicely:)

Larry

Scott,

The proposed IB driver is interesting, but I would like to know if it would be possible to produce a 21" driver with enough BL to make it suitable for small sealed boxes of 6-8cu ft, so that it could be used in a 24 or 25" cube, with a long stroke linear motor, high power handling and a decently well controlled inductance probably through the use of shorting rings in the motor, for less than $1000? $700 or $800 ea would be awesome. I'm hoping that the high powered car audio version will end up close to this and not purely an all out SPL driver.

Could something like this or at least that models like this fictional set of parameters be done for that kind of price, or at all? :scratch:2 of these each in a sealed 24" cube EQ'd and powered off of a big QSC power amp like a PL6.0 would be absolutely killer for home audio/ HT.

RE 4.10
MMS 630 g
CMS 108 um/N
BL 27 t/m
FS 19.3hz
SD 1680cm
QES 0.430
QMS 5.80
QTS 0.400
VAS 432.4 L
LE 1.92 mh
XMAX 35mm
Xmech 42mm
PE 2000w
SPL 90.6 db

·
Banned
361 Posts
This 18 is beautiful... I wan't a 22"!

I've been keeping this on the down low, but I don't have the Rendezevous yet... we have been working on it basically for this. I am hoping we can get 18 cubes after displacement, a 10" port, 20Hz tune..... but we're a ways off yet. But I've got an 18 now, so we're closer to the goal!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts