Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, trying to decide if there's a good reason to do 2 small ported subs over 22" sealed cubes for SI HT18s. They will be powered by a inuke 6000 with a minidsp. I can do 22" sealed cubes or something up to max dimensions of 22"H x 32"W x 24" D for a ported or sealed build. The room is 1400cuft, so which ever way I go, should have plenty of :hsd: just having a hard time deciding.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
For me it would be sealed all the way. That alignment will play deeper than bass reflex, which has more output. In a 1400 ft^3 room output won't be an issue with 18" drivers though, so getting the additional depth could prove very beneficial.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For me it would be sealed all the way. That alignment will play deeper than bass reflex, which has more output. In a 1400 ft^3 room output won't be an issue with 18" drivers though, so getting the additional depth could prove very beneficial.
Would the 22" cube just be the way to go or should I try for the bigger sealed box?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
I don't have sufficient WinISD knowledge to determine what the optimal box size would be, so perhaps someone else can answer that one for you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
With sealed I'd try to go as big as I can. When I get home tonight I will throw this into WinISD (if someone doesn't beat me to it) and post some graphs....

I'm running a DIYSoundGroup Ported Cube 15 with the SI 15 D2 w 1k of wattage and it hammers in my house which is a fairly large space (dont know the cubic square footage but its LOTS).

So I'm sure either way you will be fine.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With sealed I'd try to go as big as I can. When I get home tonight I will throw this into WinISD (if someone doesn't beat me to it) and post some graphs....

I'm running a DIYSoundGroup Ported Cube 15 with the SI 15 D2 w 1k of wattage and it hammers in my house which is a fairly large space (dont know the cubic square footage but its LOTS).

So I'm sure either way you will be fine.
Ender thanks for the info. Yeah any help I could get with WINISD would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I don't have sufficient WinISD knowledge to determine what the optimal box size would be, so perhaps someone else can answer that one for you.
...any help I could get with WINISD would be greatly appreciated!
Trying to learn about DIY, so I'm in awe of what you know already. Just sayin'. Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's been awhile since I've built a sub, what is everyone using for glue/sealant for the interior? I saw some folks referencing PL, not sure what that is...

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
PL in an industrial sealant. Several variants exist, depending upon what your needs are. Premium is the one a lot of people use for subwoofer enclosures.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I found for premium is adhesive. Is there am actual sealant or is it just a construction adhesive?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other thought would be to swap both out and get a single HST18. Could always add one down the road.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so I had a moment of weakness, aka little too much to drink, and ordered the HST18. So, my thought now is, how to best integrate it in with my current HT18. Both will be in 4 cuft sealed boxes. I don't have many placement options, well, basically one option for the two of them; right in front under the screen. How should I go about EQ'ing both of them, since one has considerably more output capabilities?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ok, so I had a moment of weakness, aka little too much to drink, and ordered the HST18. So, my thought now is, how to best integrate it in with my current HT18. Both will be in 4 cuft sealed boxes. I don't have many placement options, well, basically one option for the two of them; right in front under the screen. How should I go about EQ'ing both of them, since one has considerably more output capabilities?
If using a pro amp, you can just adjust the gain level till the channels match....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If using a pro amp, you can just adjust the gain level till the channels match....
Thanks for the response! I realize I didn't actually ask the question that I needed to (need to stop making posts at 2AM)

What I really want to know is, if I can somehow squeeze the HT18 behind my MLP to use as a nearfield, how should I go about EQ'ing? I know I can level match them, but by doing that, I might as well have just gotten another HT18. I want to let the HST18 free to do its thing without being held back by the HT18.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the response! I realize I didn't actually ask the question that I needed to (need to stop making posts at 2AM)

What I really want to know is, if I can somehow squeeze the HT18 behind my MLP to use as a nearfield, how should I go about EQ'ing? I know I can level match them, but by doing that, I might as well have just gotten another HT18. I want to let the HST18 free to do its thing without being held back by the HT18.
I will preface this by saying I'm not an expert on this subject... however...

Regardless of how you EQ each sub, they are both affecting each other so you still do need to tie them in together with EQ.

You can use a MiniDSP and split the signal before it hits the amp (and then goes to its respective sub) to set different high pass and low pass for each channel, but with regards to setting filters and the like, your still going to need to sum the result to make sure you have a even result.

IE if you EQ each one independent on its own the resulting EQ may not be what you want. So a 6 db bump on one sub may throw your curve off when you run a REW sweep of both.

That make sense?

I personally dont know how you can let the HST free without possibly causing issues for the HT, as from what I know your limited by your weakest link, which is the HT18.

And thats why I just went with one big bad sub, and if I decide to build another I will need to either match the sub I have, or buy 2 of the same, and tune the enclosures to be the same as well.

But if there is a way I'm sure the rest of the guys smarter than me will be along to help.

You "might" want to start a new thread in the EQ section asking that as that question may be better discussed in its own thread rather than what most will assume is just a build thread....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will preface this by saying I'm not an expert on this subject... however...

Regardless of how you EQ each sub, they are both affecting each other so you still do need to tie them in together with EQ.

You can use a MiniDSP and split the signal before it hits the amp (and then goes to its respective sub) to set different high pass and low pass for each channel, but with regards to setting filters and the like, your still going to need to sum the result to make sure you have a even result.

IE if you EQ each one independent on its own the resulting EQ may not be what you want. So a 6 db bump on one sub may throw your curve off when you run a REW sweep of both.

That make sense?

I personally dont know how you can let the HST free without possibly causing issues for the HT, as from what I know your limited by your weakest link, which is the HT18.

And thats why I just went with one big bad sub, and if I decide to build another I will need to either match the sub I have, or buy 2 of the same, and tune the enclosures to be the same as well.

But if there is a way I'm sure the rest of the guys smarter than me will be along to help.

You "might" want to start a new thread in the EQ section asking that as that question may be better discussed in its own thread rather than what most will assume is just a build thread....
Ender, I appreciate your input. That is all pretty much what I thought would be the case, just wanted to hear it from someone else. I think I'll just use the HST by itself as it should still :hsd: by itself and work towards a second in the future.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ender, I appreciate your input. That is all pretty much what I thought would be the case, just wanted to hear it from someone else. I think I'll just use the HST by itself as it should still :hsd: by itself and work towards a second in the future.

12 CUFT, tuned to 18 HZ. 8 inch port. HPF set at 16 HZ. With 2 KW, you will be well under xmax, port velocity will be at 31 m/s. I have attached the winISD file. Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
My sealed SI HT 15" is in a 4.5cu foot box or so, But a 18" you can go a little smaller right?
My box might be a little oversized , good bass though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts