Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Whats the advantages and disadvantages between the LR 4th order and LR 8th order crossover slopes? This is for a subwoofer only. I'm basically looking for the most accurate reproduction between the two. It's for a HSU VTF-3 HO with Turbocharger. I'm bi-passing the stock crossover and using a Behringer DCX-2496. Thanks.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ideally, the xover is dictated by the speakers you're crossing together. Do you have any way to measure what you're doing? Higher order filters have more group delay, but it's pushed into an ever narrowing window. Doing 8th order by ear would be real tough.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done a little measuring using a test cd with a RS spl meter with correction factors. I'll be doing some more this weekend. My speakers are efficient down to about 50 hz. I'm currently using the internal crossover in the Hsu at 30 hz and it's a little bit bass heavy around the 50 hz area. Either the crossover needs to be a little lower or a little steeper. The crossover will be between 20 and 30 hz (depending on which slope I use) when I put the Behringer in the mix.

·
Banned
440 Posts
I read somewhere can’t remember where but it mentioned about using 8th order Linkwitz-Riley it’s a dicy affair to achieve correctly. I just use 4th order L-R.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts