Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow I will start my second MC build. I did not think based on my skill level that it would sound good, boy was I wrong!! I made some mistakes on the first will never use Restore 10X again the finish has way too much sand. Should have sanded it smoother and was getting frustrated on how it went together. I just picked up the wood from a local car stereo shop they cut the wood now all I have to do is put it together. Instead of Restore 10X now it will be 4X w/ some polyurethane. I will be buying the second 18 after the enclosure is built. This will give me time to sand off the Restore 10X off of the 1st one and redo the finish to match the 2nd. I already have an ideal location for both based on measurements cables are cut to length run under the house to hide the wiring. I keep thinking since the first sounds great w/ the nu3000DSP running in bridged mode roughly 1100 watts how will 2 sound with 1100 going to each sub. Still not sure if it needs to be in Dual Mono or Stereo mode regardless each sub will be wired for a 2 ohm load. Cannot wait!!!:T

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Started on the 2nd Marty Cube. So far everything is going along well. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a great day if you are a fish other than that BLAH! Not much done due to rain the glue dries faster in the sun. No fancy equipment, cordless drill, tape measure, caulk gun, glue, hack saw. I have to brace between back baffle and back of vent add foam then put top on. Once that is done fill in all the holes small gaps lots of sanding then paint.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Wow, that driver is a tight fit in the Cube!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sub is 18" the cube is 24"x 25.5"x 24". This one is going to together better than the 1st, plus I am going to make sure it has a smoother finish before I paint it. Big or not pretty impressed with it's performance. The one I have now sounds great cannot wait to hear them both.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
2 is better than 1! :T

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great day outside! Spent a lot of it in the shed doors open finishing the bracing adding foam putting the top on. A few hours later I started sanding what a mess YUCK!As of right now the only side left to sand is the front baffle, tomorrow will be a good day for that. Once I am done with the sanding I am then going to fill in the screw holes a small gaps then finish off with some fine sanding then paint.Getting there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished sanding the cube and applied putty to fill the screw holes once that dried sanded smooth. I used Restore 4X for the paint it has a nice thick finish it will hide some imperfections but not all. I also put a coat of polyurethane on top it helps with the shine. I used Restore 10X for the first never again the second looks night and day difference. Once the second one is completely done I am going to take the first sub and redo it. Fun Fun !!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty close to being done with the build just waiting for the polyurethane to completely dry. If I had woodworking skills it would probably look better but since I do not at least to me it looks pretty good. The one thing that stinks about all of this I have to take the driver out of the first sub and then sand the Restore 10X off and redo w/4X ( nothing like throwing 35.00 away on something you thought you would like but the more you looked at it the more you disliked it.):T

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks pretty good to me! I started last weekend on my dual 18 build in sealed cabinets. It's my first time also. Some issues with cutting straight lines but practice makes perfect, right? Hopefully I will get the first box finished this weekend. I never had sealed before, only ported subs, if the output isnt high enough I will probably make some new ported enclosures. I will probably make them anyway just for fun and to compare.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
You must be busy enjoying your new Cube, I know you got the 2nd driver....even if you did have to go to Fedex to get it yourself!
2 is better than 1! :T

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes I posted the pictures on AVS and forgot to post them here. I would have never thought 2 subs would sound this good. I watched part of Oblivion ( the part where the rope snaps ) that hits pretty hard also How to Train Your Dragon part2 will also make things shake. Considering I was impressed with one now that I have two I am in AWE!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Excellent!
I haven't even opened the (2) D4's I got yet, I have been resisting the urge....building the (2) DIYSG Pure 10's helped stem that urge last weekend, but now that those are up and running I'm having a bit harder time...
The one thing that is definitely helping tame the desire, is I can't even turn up my Micros right now with the MIL laid up after surgery....can't turn it up anyway!

Enjoy the new beast, what a bargain!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Are you getting any noise issues from running the wire like that through the basket? And what ohm rating are you running?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Are you getting any noise issues from running the wire like that through the basket? And what ohm rating are you running?
I almost asked the same question yesterday when he posted that pic on another forum.
I'd be afraid of cone slap on that thing during extreme passages, and would run it outside the basket myself.

I think he has D4's, running VC's in Parallel for a 2ohm load, 1 per channel of his 3K, but I could be wrong

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes I am running the D4 in parallel both subs are at a 2 ohm load. As far as the wire have not had any issues but just in case I will use some plastic tie wraps and have it on the outside of the basket.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I almost wish I never had the (2) brand new MFW15 drivers on hand before I started, that would have FORCED me to buy and build at least 2 cubes instead, and have more headroom.....O well, the (2) 15" Micros sound good, and I have the 2 D4's for later!

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Norm is in heaven right now, he's got his kid listening and watching all the good stuff he has all over again!
" Ahhhhhh Dad, that is really loud, the plates in the kitchen are flappin'"

Hahahahaha! :D

·
Registered
334 Posts
I almost asked the same question yesterday when he posted that pic on another forum.
I'd be afraid of cone slap on that thing during extreme passages, and would run it outside the basket myself.
Yes I am running the D4 in parallel both subs are at a 2 ohm load. As far as the wire have not had any issues but just in case I will use some plastic tie wraps and have it on the outside of the basket.
Gotcha, that makes sense. But yes, I wouldnt run that wire on the inside of the basket for the reason above....

I've got a downfiring Martycube and I just made a really long wire to get my D2 to a 4 ohm load. Its long enough to fall out of the way

1 - 20 of 20 Posts