Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
2nd DIY sub build, 1st was a DIY Rythmik 12'' in 2007

I have (2) brand new MFW15 drivers that I was saving for (2) LilMike f20's, but since my Theater room hasn't started, I figured I'd make use of these in my 1300ft^3 room, tucked inside a pair of Marty Micros- 3.75ft^3 net.....IOW sexy noisy end tables!
These each take (1) 4x8 sheet, which is nice!
Build is starting tomorrow morning with a trip to Lowes for the MDF, gonna have them rip the sheets to 21" wide, so that'll be less ripping I'll have to do (most cuts are 21" wide) at home.
Hope to have both cabinets built tomorrow, I don't see a problem with that.....Nail Gun/Glue, and another pair of hands!

I already ordered an iNuke3000DSP and replacement Noctua fan, speakons for cab/amp, Y cable, XLR adapters, etc... still need to order Duratex, and get a router/bit to round over the edges, as well as some foam topper for the interior walls(heard Walmart sells it- I never looked).
I know the iNuke is totally overkill for these 225W subs, but I'm looking long term, and the DSP will be good for setting HP filter so I don't rip the cone outta the basket!
The stock Micro setup works pretty well with this driver, I played with WinISDpro for a couple of days, and I may change ports a little to reduce Port noise, but it's pretty much a drop in.
These should be pretty potent in this small room, and will force me to get going in the basement(gotta move ducts and some piping).
I know this is a small inexpensive build, but it'll still be fun.

Been awhile since I used REW, gonna have to break out the Rat Shack meter and brush up.
Good Times ahead...for me, the old lady will think different I'm sure...she already gave me the look! :rofl::boxer::paddle::hsd:

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Will be nice to see another end table subwoofer. :T

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think I'm actually going to make them look like an end table, but they are so small they may as well be!

I just ordered a Umik-1, so I don't have to mess around with all that cabling I had to do in 2007 w/Rat shack meter.:T

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Duratex on the way!

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Normal black or other color?

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Yes you can get other colors if you ask. The have many colors they can do. I was looking at doing white at one point but dont have my projects finished yet to order.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes you can get other colors if you ask. The have many colors they can do. I was looking at doing white at one point but dont have my projects finished yet to order.
That would look interesting. I think white and I think gloss Apple white lol....

I'd love to see something in like a lime green w white stripes. Or maybe white and orange.... But that wouldn't fly in my house lol.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, the build has started, but ran into a few snags....

Got a late start, my helper was dragged food shopping this morning, so he didn't get here till 10:45....we run to Lowes to grab the MDF/Duct Seal/Glue/Flat black spray paint for the port area.....

Load the 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF onto the cart, go down to the cutting machine(I want one of those!), wait for a guy to have like 15 cuts finished....the cutting guy then tells me that he's not allowed to cut MDF....ARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH
Debate what to do, get 3/4" Maple Finished Plywood ($15 more per sheet- and it stinks compared to the good stuff sold elsewhere), or do ALL the cutting at home (we're already way behind)...decide to get the Maple anyways, and ask the guy to make ALL the cuts...which he does without issue- he was very careful, and all the cuts are pretty much spot on...sweet, just made up some of the time we lost this morning!
Get home, run the stuff down to the basement, grab my compressor and nail guns from the garage, setup a work bench and my brand new/never used Dewalt table saw for a couple of small items....fire up compressor....it's leaking air out of the compressor area somewhere!
Buddy runs to his house and get's his compressor...
Get the sides/bottom/port rails/port built for both subs, paint front/port areas....cut window bracing for both subs, install 1 window brace, glue 2 front baffles together for 1 sub- nail it, and put heavy weight on it....run outta glue I just bought... it's OK bud, I have 2 more used bottles over there on the shelf......"Where?".....waaah? "Honey did you move my wood glue" "Yes, I was cleaning up, so I put them out on the shelf in the GARAGE".....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :dontknow:

Glue was junk, had frozen and was useless.... and Lowes closes early on Sundays! :unbelievable:

So.... got a large portion of the (2) subs built today, need to pickup mattress topper for inner walls, GET MORE GLUE ( I still can't believe that glue stopped my progress), and some spray adhesive...
Then just wait for my speakons/amp/Duratex etc... to get here, so I can finish them up.
Good progress, but would have liked to at least get both sub cabs entirely built today.....

OOO well, there's always tomorrow!

EDIT: Yes, I just got the plain black Duratex.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't know, I could have sworn I've had MDF ripped before, although I can't remember....obviously I won't go to THAT store for MDF again.
I was going to get the MDF at HD instead, as it was $5 less per sheet, but the reviews under it said it was garbage quality, so I went to Lowes!
It's OK, the Maple PW does have voids here and there, but it's decent....blade needed changing on that machine though.
It's definitely lighter, and pretty strong.....gotta use a bit-O-Spackle anyway!

Didn't have much time yesterday(and just got home today), but I did get the mattress topper all cut to size, and cutout/installed one Baffle....the other baffle has been glued/weighted since yesterday afternoon, so I hope to cutout and install that 1 as well tonight.
My Amp/wire/clips/speakons will be delivered tomorrow, so things are looking good.....not sure where my Duratex is, I haven't gotten a shipping confirmation yet, so who knows....
Got some spackling/sanding to do anyway, just hoping it'll be here b4 the weekend.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sweet. But you know the rules. pics or it didn't happen. It would be very nice to have a panel saw like they have at Lowes and HD. It would sure make builds easier

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guess I could take some pics, nothing to look at really though, just a couple of small boxes!
Cutout and installed the 2nd baffle early today, it's clamped as I type this.

I got a few presents from my friendly UPS driver today...an iNuke3K, speakons, inwall 12/2 wire, XLR-RCA adapters, and Y cables ( I bought 2- 1 spare in case it was bad, or ever need another1- cost like $1)....that iNuke software is pretty cool, lotsa stuff you can do in there.
He's such a nice guy....and I expected the 3K to be louder than it is even at idle- gotta see how bad it is driven!
My UMIK-1 and Noctua fan will be here by Friday night ( SWEET!), but they just shipped the Duratex this afternoon....I didn't know Parts Express sold it, I would have gotten it there, and already had it....getting it from the Manufacturer just cost me a 2-5 days, as I doubt it'll be here by Friday.....bah
Gonna cut the speakon holes

Already thinking about a couple of the budget king SI HT-18's and larger cabs, the only reason I went with what I did is because I already owned the drivers....then again, these 2 Micros should thump pretty well in this little room, even at only 450w, and much better than the dinky little 150w Boston Acoustics PV600 they are replacing(truly horrible- my 1st sub from many years ago- my DIY Rythmik 12" from 2007 was eaten up by the heat monster!).
If I end up getting the Ht-18's, I'll be waiting till I'm ready to build the cabs....I've been waiting for that price to rise/supply to dry up, and the B stock at the other place(C.A.B) just raised(today) $10 to the same price as the new stock at Si...$20 MORE than Si for new stock, same sub!:yikes:
Not even close to ready for those 18's, but the deal for 160 is just ridiculous....

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm debating on what to do next, and would like some input.

As of right now, I have everything I need to complete the subs and actually start using them, the problem is....

The COLD weather!:thumbsdown:

The subs were built in my unheated basement- it's easily warm enough to survive, and much warmer than my garage(I don't have a workshop, and my shed is unheated), but I need to use the spray adhesive to put the dampening material on the inside walls/bottom/top plate, and they need to be primed and painted(still waiting on Duratex)....I'm not spraying that adhesive down there(electronic ignition furnace), that stuff is nasty and flammable.
It looks like it's gonna be awhile before the temps are reasonable to do this in the garage, but I really want to start using the subs in the meantime....so my debate is:

Temporarily install the driver/speakons, and use duct seal/rubber gasket/roofing for the top connections(3- front back and window brace- the top is inset- sides are 3/4" higher, top fits in tight dry), while using a few deck screws to tie the side into the top, forgoing the dampening material/paint and primer FOR NOW....
Obviously these will not be a 100% performing subs with the above config, because the top will not be glued/screwed permanently, but I think the minimal air leaks will be OK for a temporary setup, and I'd at least be able to use/enjoy them for a month or 2....
OR............
Wait for the weather to warm up CONSIDERABLY( a month or so at this rate).

I can live with the plain wood for a month or so, this is not in the main living room or anything, I'm basically the only 1 that comes in here(my man closet till I build a theater in the basement).

I'm leaning toward the temp job so I can at least use the subs, but I wanted to see what other folks had to say.

Thanks

·
Registered
334 Posts
Maybe buy some space heaters and put them in your garage and try to get it warm enough to spray in there, then leave it to dry there...

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just rolling, but even still...
I discussed that with my brother, I do have 1 1500W electric space heater, but don't think it'll be enough to heat a 2 car garage, and it would probably have to run for many hours to get this done, that'll be expensive.
Those torpedo heaters are nasty, I'm not sure I want 1 of those in an enclosed area with flammable vapors either!
I'm so disgusted with the situation that I started re-arranging my man closet, and will be moving my plasma/wall mount to a different wall, moving the rack, re-arranging wiring, etc....it's a mess in here now...
Another thing I JUST realized.....the old corner unit rack shelves are NOT wide enough for the iNuke 3k....it's an old junker particle board thing that eventually needed replacement, but I didn't plan on it right now!
I've been considering it anyway, especially since I just moved it out of the corner today...if I wanna have it in a rack, I'm gonna have to get another one.

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGH!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
After looking at the prices for the height/width rack I want, I decided to put the iNuke 3k on top of the stand(rubber feet) and put the CC on top of it and be done with it....of course I put a small folded dish drying rag between them(doesn't block venting) to prevent scratching.

This is temporary, not spending a bunch of $ on a temp solution.

Case closed! :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Duratex shipment has been "Delayed" due to the weather....
Man....seems NC had some " weather :sarcastic:...
I wish I knew PE sold this stuff, it would have been $5 more, but free shipping( So LESS overall), and been here already!

·
Registered
503 Posts
You could put a fan in the window and spray downstairs. If you turned off the furnace for the time it takes you would be ok.

But then again I am not a very careful person so fwiw.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I brought the subs out into the garage, installed the foam, the speakons, the drivers, and the tops...
Prime/Paint will have to wait till it gets warmer.
They sound good, did a quick HP on the iNuke3K, a quick SPL check, and watched Avatar with my cousin.

Did a better SPL check with the Umik-1 after he left, gonna run a sweep and see what they look like.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts