Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
I need help with diy a subwoofer box for my 2x tc sounds lms ultra 18". I want to go ported. I know some of you might recommend sealed. But, I previous had these subs on a ported box inside my van. I really enjoyed the deep bass and how linear this sub are. I live in an NYC apartment and need all the space available without compromising sound. I saw a sketch once on this site but can remember who was the onr who had it done. Is a sketch of three subwoofers that appeared tp be on a tv stand. Anyone? Well that is my goal to save all the space available. I want to tune at around 17hz. The space I have available is around 24H x 26D x 96L. If you guys think I need more space than the one mentioned, please let me know.
I know for the turning desired tc sounds recommends a 90+++ inches port for 17hz tuning.
If it helps, my desire amp that I want is a LAB GRUPPEN 10000Q. 5, 000 watts each at 4ohm bridged 2 xhannel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the sketch. I give all the credit to tje person (s) responsible for this sketch. I did not do this. In fact, I like this idea for my HT to save space. I am having issues uploading the pic for reference.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Are you referring to the stealth 18" pair of JBL subwoofers designed into a cabinet or the large quad 18 cabinet that was also a "TV?"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GCG, I don't mind the hate. . I love deep bass. When I had this subs on my van, people hated them. They were extremely loud. It's time to put them qere they belong HT.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, o dont know which pair it was. All I saw was the sketck. I downloaded the oic to have it as reference. I do have it on my cell. As soon as I can manage to upload pics, I will post them.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
That response in my previous post was with your dims, 6-6" ports @ 60", and a 14.2Hz high pass to keep you out of Xmax. vent velocity ~ 23-24 m/s. I'd go sealed and try a Linkwitz to push the low end. With room gain it could sweet. What's the size of the space.

Edit: BTW the Linkwitz re-shapes the roll-off to a nice Q of 0.700.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The room is not big. Lol is a typical NYC apartment. Is around 15x20. 8ft sealing high. I might be crazy to put two in this room so small.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The amp might be a lab gruppen 10000q. But, those behringer inuke are not baf at all for the price. I might consider those.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
That would put room gain kicking in ~28Hz Definitely a candidate for sealed with a Linkwitz. A modest Linkwitz gain of 6.0db puts the F3 around 24.5hz. Nice blend with the room. Why do want to go ported?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I once had a selaed box. I hated the sound. The sub sounded dead. It felt like it was mixing the bottom end. Having said that, it doesn't mean that all sealed boxes sound dead. I have heard sealed box that are fffff awesome. Also since I had it ported in the van and was very pleased by the outstanding low end without alot of tweaking. I wanted the same approach for the small HT. I don't mind using sealed. I am a basshead for the lack of a better term. Lol. But, I am open to suggestions.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
Dead can be taken care of with the right EQ. That sub was probably EQd flat which is a mistake for subs. Subs need a ~6db "house curve" (give-or-take) to sound right due to the way we perceive low frequency sound. Properly EQd a sealed sub should have better SQ hands down. The ported sub in the van was taking advantage of the cabin gain of the VERY small space. You won't get that kind of response in house with the same equipment.

You need to decide because it's your ears.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are right. I am going to take your advice. Sq is my goal too. I think for this build I am going to go sealed. I don't know if I am going to do 1 or 2 cabs. I would preferred 2. I have seen some guys here make them 22x22 x22 for a single sub..

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
With a 6.0 db Linkwitz that would put you at an F3 or 25.25Hz. Inside the 28Hz room gain so drop that to ~20, F6 in the low teens, and noticeable output perhaps into single digits. Two of them would max out with SPLs about 122db at 2000W each RMS without going into Xmax into single digit freqs.

What DO you have for EQ? To do a Linkwitz you'll need a MiniDSP or something that will do Bi-quads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be honest, this is my very first HT build. I know nothing about it. I am humble and would love as much input as possible.
A member from here recommended me the minidsp. Are you familiar with audison bit one? Well, I used it in my van and did a 3way setup. The bit one had time alignment a 31 band eq etc. You name it, it has it. I want the same for the HT. I WANT a dsp that is capable of doing so. I am diligently searching the web for amps prices and speakers options. I qant a nice receiver that accepts xlr so that I can use and hook up the subwoofer amps. I really don't want to go overboard with this build since its for a small "apartment". Is there a dsp capable of doing good eq and filtering?

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
I looked up BitOne and found one for sale USED for $950. A grand? Really? The MiniDSP CAN do a 31 band graphic EQ or mixer or PEQ in multiple configs (you choose by the plugin you buy) they all do time alignment to a delay of 7.5ms and the advanced plugins will do the needed bi-quads for the Linkwitz Transform. (the "Linkwitz" referenced on the Bit One is a Linkwitz Riley Crossover profile, different animal) The MiniDSP you'll need is less than $175 delivered from Hong Kong.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts