Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which six pair of speakers would you like to see in the $3,000 Speaker Evaluation Event?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 450 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speaker nominations for the $3,000 two-channel speaker evaluation event has been closed and the voting now begins. Thanks to all who nominated speakers... we certainly have a lot to choose from.

If you are not familiar with our speaker events, see the links in my signature.

You can vote for up to 6 speakers. We will take the top 6 with the highest votes, provided we can obtain them. We decided to let each poll stand on its own instead of automatically including speakers that had the next highest votes from the previous post, being that there are so many other speakers include this time that were not included last time. There is a chance that someone voting for one of those speakers in the last round might change their mind for this round.

We have NOT contacted all of these speaker manufacturers to see if they will participate, although we have contacted a few. If a speaker is voted in the top 6 and the manufacturer does not want to participate, we will go to the next highest vote getter. In case of a tie, Scoobie will be the tie breaking vote.

Votes are public and viewable.

Once again, this poll is for deciding which six speakers will be included in the evaluation event. The event is tentatively scheduled for the latter half of February 2014. We want to get the votes in early so that we have time to contact each manufacturer and get the speakers lined up for review. We also want to be able to get them in hand in time enough to check them to make sure there is no shipping damage or other issues, so that we can get replacements sent if necessary... as well as get the speakers broke-in per the manufacturers recommendations.

Let the voting begin!

Voting will end on midnight of 12/31/13

·
Registered
290 Posts
Sonnie, if the Kef R500 is in the top 6 I've got a set I can bring to you guys (assuming this is done at your place?). So, you're covered there. ;)

Also, would it be possible for me to participate in this? I'd love to man given in so close. And I'd bring my measurement gear to measure the response at the seated position to post along with the listening results. That would take the subjective evaluations to a level most others don't provide.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sonnie, if the Kef R500 is in the top 6 I've got a set I can bring to you guys (assuming this is done at your place?). So, you're covered there. ;)

Also, would it be possible for me to participate in this? I'd love to man given in so close. And I'd bring my measurement gear to measure the response at the seated position to post along with the listening results. That would take the subjective evaluations to a level most others don't provide.
Have you missed the results of our other two events? We have measurement gear.

Our timing with four panelists and 6 speakers is barely enough to get done now. I honestly am not sure we could fit in another panelist.

Why no Paradigm Speakers? The Tribute is $2,999 (MSRP). Signature C6 is $3,200.

http://paradigm.com/products/collection=reference/model=tribute/page=overview
Those prices are EACH... the pricing above is for pairs. These were discussed in the nomination thread.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Pesky low contrast fine print.

The studio 60 are $1,250 each and should be competitive with all the speakers listed above. At $2,800 a pair, I'd also like to See the Bowers and Wilkins PM1 listed. They are said to be 800 series speakers for the working man.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 60's were in the last evaluation... and we opted for the CM9. We will only allow one nomination from each manufacturer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its a pity the high end JBL speakers are not put up for review; like the K2-S9900, LS series or even the Studio 5 series.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Have you missed the results of our other two events? We have measurement gear.

Our timing with four panelists and 6 speakers is barely enough to get done now. I honestly am not sure we could fit in another panelist.
Apparently, yes. Trust me, I'd love to have the free time to see all these threads here but work and life don't always permit that. ;)
I'll check them out, though. I didn't intend to offend... just offering up some measurement gear.

I'll try to stay more fresh on these things so next time I can be included. It is unfortunate to be only 3 hours away and not be able to join you fellas.

The offer on my Kef R500's still stands. I even have the original boxes should you need them.

I haven't casted my vote yet; I need to research some of the other options I'm not familiar with. But this looks like it's gonna be pretty awesome. :)

- Erin

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hard to limit the picks to just 6 out of that list! Some terrific speakers on there.
Sounds like another great time fellas. Have fun, and can't wait to find out what the results end up being.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Will be interesting to see who makes the final cut.........

For those of you who REALLY want to see if the Tekton Pendragons can "compete" with other companies' wares, this would be the time to vote them in ( I did for this reason - shameless plug).

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
B&W is taking the commanding lead early on... probably not a real big surprise.

Its a pity the high end JBL speakers are not put up for review; like the K2-S9900, LS series or even the Studio 5 series.
Why would be include $30,000 speakers in with $3,000 speakers? That would make absolutely no sense. I think there was a problem finding anything JBL had at this time that would fit in the MSRP pricing range.

·
Registered
290 Posts
B&W is taking the commanding lead early on... probably not a real big surprise.
Agreed. I've heard a few B&W setups myself so I'd be curious to see what your crew's thoughts are on them vs what I've gleaned from my listening sessions. (so, yea, I voted for those as well)

You guys have quite a list of contenders. There's probably only a few of them that I have zero desire in. There are a few that I'm absolutely looking forward to seeing reviewed, and the rest are at the least, quite interesting. So, overall, it's quite an exhaustive list.

What would be cool to see is a comparison from this round vs the $2500 round. It'll be interesting to see if that $500 makes a subjectively marked improvement or if you guys feel the $2500 round speakers held their own just as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I really am hoping the Ascend towers make it cause I have my eyes set on those but would like to see what others think of them before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have heard the Dynaudios against the Tritons and the B&W CM10 and felt the Dynaudios were better than both with more depth to female vocals. It was not an ideal room setup. So would be curious to hear your take in optimal placement. Tekton Pendragons vs. the before mentioned sounds like an awesome GTG. I CANT WAIT TO HEAR THE RESULTS.

In the $2500 shoot out was there a speaker that was favored the best.

Zu audio got speaker of the year for the Druids by the audiophiliac on CNET

My perfect list would be Salks, Ascend
B&W vs Dynaudio excite
Tekton vs Zu

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
Yes!!! Wow, a very impressive list of speaker builders and at a price point that allows the engineers and designers to show speakers that are truly representative of their technical abilities. These are not the flagship/cutting edge speaker models but some very fine representations.

This list of speakers speaks well of the interests of HTS members. I would love to have an opportunity to listen to 3/4 of the speakers listed. I wish Canton and Totem could make the final list but it does not look good. Both are phenomenal speaker builders and each have a long list of innovations and speaker models that always receive very high acclaim with reviewers. Of all the speakers listed Totem and Canton are two that just do not seem to receive the "word of mouth" publicity like most other speakers do. Maybe it's just as well I've heard the 6 ohm,Totem Hawk is a difficult speaker to drive effectively because it likes lots of clean power and amplification (200watts recommended in one review) and seems to me Canton has had a few speakers with finicky reputations as well. But you know when these speaker builders use huge capacitors and inductor coils and their speakers can reach down into the 20's (room specific) I would hope I haven't bottle-necked amperage/power and watts anywhere.

I am looking forward to the final list of speakers. Looking at the numbers so far, Wow, the reviewers have got some very fine listening chores ahead but I don't envy the work in getting this job done. I can't wait to read the reviews.
Thanks for all of your hard work so far...:clap:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm excited My Triton 2s are doing well so far, I know I'm a little biased but they need to be in there!

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

1 - 20 of 450 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.