Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which six pair of speakers would you like to see in the $3,000 Speaker Evaluation Event?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm hoping for the Von Schweikert's will make the cut. The Vienna Acoustics too. Both are well thought of by the high-end crowd. It'd be nice to have them compete against some of the more well known speakers <cough, B&W, cough>.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I would love to vote but I've never heard any of these speakers so I would have no idea what would be the best choice. I'm watching this closely for the final reviews.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would love to vote but I've never heard any of these speakers so I would have no idea what would be the best choice. I'm watching this closely for the final reviews.
You don't have to hear them to vote. Pick the top 6 you would like to know more about.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Sorry to be such a cynic here, but if you audio snobs are willing to pay $3000 for speakers, and claim that you can hear a difference from MUCH lower priced speakers available these days, then more power to you. I'll bet that you are the kind of folks that will pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars for interconnect cables claiming that you can hear a difference in those also. As a pro audio studio engineer, I can assure you that no studios are wired with outrageously priced wire or monitor speakers, and that you are not going to get anything better out of your systems than the original input signals. Spend your money how you want, but don't tell me how you can hear a difference between speaker cables held up off the floor and those that are not. I know I got off subject here, but the analogy is the same.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Sorry Bubba... I think you got confused about which forum you were posting in. Quite a disrespectful attitude there. Time for you to move on. Bye-bye now! :wave:

·
Registered
290 Posts
No. The analogy is not the same. No one here is talking about wires.

If there's any areas of (legitimate) concern when it comes to a playback system it's the room and the speaker. For all intents and purposes, the signal itself is unaltered from input to the output of the speaker. Meaning, the CD player passes the signal to the amps. The room and the speakers (and the interaction of the two) are the problem areas.

In any system, the distortion, linear and non linear, are essentially all caused by the speaker. Electronics contribute so little error it's negligible ... You're talking on the order of 1/100th of a percent. On the other hand, speakers can contribute nonlinearities at a much higher level and linear distortion that is very high. Then you factor in the room's influence (ie; those pesky modes that swing the low end response +/-15dB) and you realize just how important the room/speaker evaluation is.

So, a review such as this, with listening position measurements and analysis of the room through measurement actually does a lot to serve the community.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pesky low contrast fine print.

The studio 60 are $1,250 each and should be competitive with all the speakers listed above. At $2,800 a pair, I'd also like to See the Bowers and Wilkins PM1 listed. They are said to be 800 series speakers for the working man.
The PM1's are stand-mount, I think these are all towers, and I thought they were $3800/pr. I like them too, though!

You pesky techies stopped me from from voting for 8 or 9 nine like I wanted to!! :) I tried to vote for different 'flavors', especially in the tweeters, with the Imagine T2's as the sole speaker I've heard for a reference point. I've never heard the RAAL, but heard lots of good, the Odyssey is using the Be tweeter, which I liked in the Focals I heard, so curious about how the various approaches to tweeters compare to each other. Still couldn't cover all I wanted to, though...Oh well, I'm sure the 6 I picked won't the ones with the most votes anyway, and I'll trust the group to have variety

·
Registered
876 Posts

If there's any areas of (legitimate) concern when it comes to a playback system it's the room and the speaker. For all intents and purposes, the signal itself is unaltered from input to the output of the speaker. Meaning, the CD player passes the signal to the amps. The room and the speakers (and the interaction of the two) are the problem areas.

In any system, the distortion, linear and non linear, are essentially all caused by the speaker. Electronics contribute so little error it's negligible ... You're talking on the order of 1/100th of a percent. On the other hand, speakers can contribute nonlinearities at a much higher level and linear distortion that is very high. Then you factor in the room's influence (ie; those pesky modes that swing the low end response +/-15dB) and you realize just how important the room/speaker evaluation is.

So, a review such as this, with listening position measurements and analysis of the room through measurement actually does a lot to serve the community.
Going from Paradigm Monitors to Paradigm Studio's was quite a giant leap in sound. I have also spent time with Paradigm Signatures and those are leaps and bounds above all else which I have owned. Spending more does often get you more but in some cases it does not which is where we get the phrase "sounds better than ___ for $$$" and that especially true for a lot of source players (eh-hem, lexicon BD Player).

After winner has been decided; I'd love to see a $2500 Wild(s) card thrown in the mix. Perhaps it could be the best three speaker(s) from the last round up?

The PM1's are stand-mount, I think these are all towers, and I thought they were $3800/pr. I like them too, though!

You pesky techies stopped me from from voting for 8 or 9 nine like I wanted to!! :) I tried to vote for different 'flavors', especially in the tweeters, with the Imagine T2's as the sole speaker I've heard for a reference point. I've never heard the RAAL, but heard lots of good, the Odyssey is using the Be tweeter, which I liked in the Focals I heard, so curious about how the various approaches to tweeters compare to each other. Still couldn't cover all I wanted to, though...Oh well, I'm sure the 6 I picked won't the ones with the most votes anyway, and I'll trust the group to have variety
The PM1 sounds a lot like a tower speaker.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I voted for these:
Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (RAAL Tweeter)
Bamberg Series 2 TMM
KEF R500
Philharmonic Slim Tower
Salk Songtowers SC
Soundfield Audio VSFT-1

Hopefully some of them end up getting picked :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would be very excited to see the Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (RAAL Tweeter), Philharmonic Slim Tower and the Salk Songtowers SC in a shootout.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I voted for these: Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower (RAAL Tweeter) Bamberg Series 2 TMM KEF R500 Philharmonic Slim Tower Salk Songtowers SC Soundfield Audio VSFT-1 Hopefully some of them end up getting picked :)
I voted for the last four if I remember correct. Great choices.

·
Registered
100 Posts

:clap:

Well said!

This is as good a time as any to thank Sonnie et al for doing these comparisons. Yeah, from the outside it looks like all fun and games, but I imagine the work involved is off the charts. A labor of love no doubt.

Good stuff going on here.:T

·
Registered
42 Posts
I guess MartinLogan currently doesn't have anything in this price range - correct?
I know of the ESL's at around 2200.00/pr and the Theos at around 5000.00/pr. but can't think of anything in between.
Too bad................I love me some Logan's.

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
Looks like the "same ol' suspects" ;) . I would have liked to have seen some new blood break in - but it looks like another B&W, Dynaudio, Ascend, Salk, GE, Kef party. Although I voted for Dynaudio and GE, everything else was a bit different - just to flavor things up a bit. It would be cool to get Legacy, Wharfedale, or even Focal or VS in there to shake things ups a bit. Oh well.....:dontknow:

·
Registered
48 Posts
The PSB's aren't doing as well as I'd thought...I hope they make it so I have a benchmark, since those are the one of the few I've heard before - plus they're the sweet-spot in the PSB line in terms of bang-for-buck. I've heard the CM9's as well, and they left me cold, but the T2's impressed me.

I'll keep my hopes up for a nice variety of speaker philosophies to be represented....

·
Registered
630 Posts
It would be nice to see the Atlantic Technology get thrown in for the fun of it - They
do look nice and seem to measure well - they are said to have some serious bass for
their size.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just thinking maybe next time around the speakers can be divided into 2 groups that fall within that price point. One group would consist of BM speakers and the second will have only ID brands. The ones that tally the highest amounts of votes go H2H from the 2 groups. Most BM brands have a wider customer fan base to draw upon for votes....ID do too...but on a much smaller scale.

Just a thought...:)

Anyhow....looking forward to reading the results...some really nice speakers in this price class....I voted for 6 of them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with some of the above. It would have been nice to see some of the not so popular names get in there. Maybe have a no-name bracket to compete with the winner.

I'm a little surprised that PSB isn't getting more love as well, and I wouldn't exactly call them a no-name.
Same with Definitive Technology.
I've heard the Thiels, the Revels, and the Focal's and they are outstanding speakers. I've also listened to the larger Von Schweikert's and thought they were sweet.

Just too hard to pick 6 out of this group but we can't expect them to demo them all.
Wish the old school Snell was still around. They'd kick some serious butt in this price range.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I think you guys are forgetting that this is not a shootout or head to head competition. Each review stands on its own. It is merely an evaluation of six speakers.

21 - 40 of 450 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.