Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which six pair of speakers would you like to see in the $3,000 Speaker Evaluation Event?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Well I for one will be dissappointed if the Ascends can't make it. It is some consolation that they will be offered a second chance...I hope the are at least willing to participate.

·
Registered
286 Posts
watching all of the speaker evaluations and tests, it amazes me as to how many different speakers there are out there. Keep in mind that we are only looking at the better quality speakers.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Well I for one will be disappointed if the Ascends can't make it. It is some consolation that they will be offered a second chance...I hope the are at least willing to participate.
I am disappointed that I can't even get a response from them. :huh:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Well... KEF went from being excited about the event and looking forward to participating to being afraid their R500's won't stack up to the other speakers in this event. I suppose they don't fully understand that this is not a shootout, although I emphasized it.

I hate it because those were some I was seriously looking forward to hearing and I thought they would review really well.

That will end any relations we might would have had with them, as I personally don't want to deal with a company that is scared their product is not up to par with similarly priced products. It doesn't speak too highly of their faith in their own products.

They will not be included in future nominations, as once we get to the next group, they might do the same thing again depending on what other speakers will be included. I don't want members wasting their votes on an iffy manufacturer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
So the only speaker of the 6 I voted for is nixed cause they are scared their product won't stack up to the competition! Ugh!!!! Im beginning to question my choices in audio!!?? hopefully my next highest pick, I think is the golden ear tritons, pan out. Hopefully sandy steps up to the plate.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Some of these speakers I have not heard of, let alone heard playing back music. I would think that a forum like this would be a very nice platform with which to promote goods. Fair, fast, inexpensive and thousands of readers.
Not only that but several reviewers with no axe to grind so if one feels let down and the others feel the groove, it reads well. I see Ascend on their website offers shipment in 2-3 business days, I would think they have extras as would KEF, that is a huge group. B&W not sending is just not right, they have some serious reserves and a good product, yes I have owned them for years.

It is obvious I know nothing about product promotion. :huh:

Oh and please know, my name is Jack and I am a sound space addict, depth is cool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Only 1 of my 6 picks made the cut. But I don't feel bad about it. I specifically voted for things that were less well known. I am intrigued by the less conventional designs. The majority of speakers are bass-reflex and I have come to feel that this isn't really the best design. Of course, all speaker designs are a compromise of sorts. I am not sure if would be definitely possible to claim some other design, like transmission line would sound definitely better than bass-reflex. But I don't really see anybody attempting to prove/disprove this hypothesis. The Atlantic Technology AT-1 really interested me, because they have a form of loading the company claims to be completely new and unused before. Something they believe to be a superior compromise. But the AT-1s only had about 8% of the vote. Maybe nobody else has heard of them, or they don't believe the hype, or they have been heard and not liked. I really don't know the case. The more popular designs are easier to get a personal audition. For example, B&W is in Best Buy Magnolia stores. Although, one could argue that makes them a great reference to compare the others against.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well who knows, maybe the Atlantic Tech AT-1 will sneak in after all.:ponder:
The reviews and measurements on them have been good.

·
Registered
868 Posts
That is too bad that some manufacturers are not interested. KEF says it is because they have reservations about how their product will stack up, which is sad.

I just wonder if there is a stigma of some sort with forums and if that is part of it when it comes to brick'n'mortar brands. Obviously the ID manufacturers get it since they have been willing to participate thus far.

Maybe the BM folks don't feel they need forum exposure and print magazines are good enough, while the ID folks know they do. I think that is a mistake on the part of the BM guys. Seems to me that print magazines are on the decline, and especially among younger people. Witness the recent merger of Sound & Vision with Home Theater for evidence.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
So the only speaker of the 6 I voted for is nixed cause they are scared their product won't stack up to the competition! Ugh!!!! Im beginning to question my choices in audio!!?? hopefully my next highest pick, I think is the golden ear tritons, pan out. Hopefully sandy steps up to the plate.
I won't be surprised if many of the speakers that sell through traditional dealers primarily take this attitude. They feel they have little to gain and much risk in reviews. And many of them do not know us and won't bother to take the time to read what we have been doing.

We try to be fair, but we also won't pull any punches. And many people take comments made in reviews out of context or place too much stock in them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I called Ascend on Monday evening and was advised that I would need to email Dave, which I did, at 6:09 PM on 1/6/13. As of right now I have NOT heard from him, so I assume he is probably not interested or realizes he can't make the deadline. It looks like we will have to pickup the next two highest voted speaker models, as it is not looking good for B&W or Ascend.

I did hear back from KEF and it looks like they will be participating... although it is not 100% confirmed yet, it sounded like they were very receptive.

I have not heard from Focal, but I did talk with Sandy's wife (Golden Ear) and he is at CES, but I think if he has speakers available he will participate. I have talked with him in the past and he seemed to be receptive to reviews. I have reached out to Tannoy and Polk and am pending response from them.
than this

Well I for one will be dissappointed if the Ascends can't make it. It is some consolation that they will be offered a second chance...I hope the are at least willing to participate.
and your response is this?

I am disappointed that I can't even get a response from them. :huh:
So, I'm a bit confused because you said in the above quote "that you heard from him but he is not interested...I know Dave is kind of slow to answer his email but he usually does....I also know they're extremely busy with the new Sierra 2 & just trying to catch up on back orders. I would give them another day or two in hopes hope he'd get back to you...if not, the show must go on!

Re,
Bill...:)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Sorry Bill... typo, but if you read it all, I think you realize I meant to say that I have NOT heard from him. That would also be logical based on what I stated later. I have went back and edited that statement to include the "NOT".

I have no problem giving him a few days to respond... that is what I have been doing. At this point I am only replacing one speaker, the R500, with the next highest voted speaker, yet I am still preparing for others that might not participate. Either way we will still have a good group of speakers.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
So, I'm a bit confused because you said in the above quote "that you heard from him but he is not interested...
For the record, this is not my quote. I never said "he is not interested". What I stated (after the appropriate "NOT" was edited in to the statement, was:

As of right now I have NOT heard from him, so I assume he is probably not interested or realizes he can't make the deadline.

There are two possibilities I am "assuming", although I am still giving him a few days to respond. :T

·
Registered
630 Posts
Plus, it is nice/good to wait till after the CES show, for some
people to respond. I sure hope that Focal will be in.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I did hear back from Dave... twice already today. They are indeed out of the towers, but he is meeting with the cabinet guys tomorrow to see if they can work something out to get us a pair to evaluate.

He definitely seems to be going above and beyond in an attempt to make it happen. He also isn't crying "unfair" because his speaker is among the lowest priced in the group.

·
Registered
868 Posts
See the ID guys seem not only willing but eager to participate and they don't make excuses out of a difficult situation. I wonder if perhaps in 10 years the ratio of ID/BM manufacturers for speakers will flip. Anyway, glad they want to participate.

141 - 160 of 450 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.