Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Which six pair of speakers would you like to see in the $3,000 Speaker Evaluation Event?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did hear back from Dave... twice already today. They are indeed out of the towers, but he is meeting with the cabinet guys tomorrow to see if they can work something out to get us a pair to evaluate.

He definitely seems to be going above and beyond in an attempt to make it happen. He also isn't crying "unfair" because his speaker is among the lowest priced in the group.

Good to hear....I never doubted Ascend not participating...I'm glad Dave has contacted you. I know being a current Ascend owner I had to wait several weeks for the next run of cabinets.

I'm glad you guys were able to connect & GTG...

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
97 Posts
Agreed, glad to see the Ascends will be in the comparison, I am very happy to see RAAL represented :)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
We are not there yet, but should know something by first of next week. Dave is trying hard to make it work out for us though, which is all we can ask.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Being new here I am having a hard time understanding what is going on. I do understand that each member may nominate up to six pairs of speaker in the sub $3k price range to be considered in a speaker evaluation Event. When, where, and how does this work?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance and I'm sure I am missing the link for the "rules" and conditions, if someone could steer me in the right direction, I'd love to "catch up" on what is actually going on.

Thank you

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
We started out with a separate thread where members could nominate speakers in this MSRP price category. There were 35 speakers nominated and then members voted for the six speakers they would like to see evaluated by the panel (4 HTS staff members). The nominations and voting is now closed, and we are now in the process of lining up the top six speakers for the evaluation event that will be held on February 21-22.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kef declined huh? That surprises me, I would think they'd like to know how well they designed their R series. I'm not surprised that B&W wouldn't participate, I heard that before the best buy deal they wouldn't put their speakers in dealers store if they had certain brands. I used to think that was cooler talk but I'm starting to believe it might not have been.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is absolutely true, not only of B&W but many other brands. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to want to be in a mix of products that complement the line but do not compete head on with their own products. They would like dealers that prioritize their brand. Some will not put their higher end products in mass market outlets.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
B&W has not declined yet. I did talk with their PR agency today and he is submitting the request to Bowers & Wilkins. Hopefully we will know something in a couple of days.

·
Registered
122 Posts
B&W has not declined yet. I did talk with their PR agency today and he is submitting the request to Bowers & Wilkins. Hopefully we will know something in a couple of days.
hopefully they will, werent b&w the highest vote getters? it would be a shame if they werent apart of the gtg.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
UPDATE!

B&W has declined participation. It is really a bummer that the top two vote getters have declined. Hey... it is their loss, because they will not get another opportunity.

I have still not been able to get in touch with Focal. I have left 3 messages and sent two emails. Not really sure what else I can do.

I have not been able to get Sandy with Golden Ear to call me back. I have explained to his wife on two occasions what we needed, so he should be aware of it, but I guess either he is too busy to worry with it, or just does not care to participate. We will move on... I will not beg.

I also have not been able to get Polk to respond.

Still pending a response from Tannoy... we hope to hear from them by tomorrow.

Dave with Ascend believes they will be able to accommodate a pair, but we are still not 100% just yet. We are holding on to them for as long as we can before letting go.

Dynaudio is definitely in.

Salk is in, but I need to confirm again with Jim since I read he recently had a death in his immediate family. I am not sure if they might hinder the build and delivery.

I got confirmation that PSB is in with the Imagine T2.

With the declines we have had... I think going forward we are going to contact various manufacturers and line up six speakers without any voting. I would like to include members, but apparently some manufacturers are not listening... or they are selling all they want... or simply do not see us as a valuable asset for reviews... or they fear their product will not review well when there are four down to earth honest reviewers involved that are not going to sugarcoat the review in order to tickle their ears.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Too bad! I think that the ones that are declining or ignoring (read not participating) are missing out. It's not like you will be reviewing white van speakers here. All of the manufacturers in question already enjoy tremendous popularity and positive reviews. If anything, they are missing on a chance to elevate their status that much more. One of reason a particular manufacturer finish first in the poll, well it's because there's an interest. I don't think it would negate B&W's reputation if say, they would rank 3rd in this elite group.

Just saying...

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Theil has discontinued their SCS4T speakers and their CS1.7 cost $4,000. So they will not be in either.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Well, I suppose a couple of us could stand center stage and sing John Denver songs for youse guys. How much more real can you get than that ???:eek:

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well, there is still hope that Atlantic Technology may sneak in.:)

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
If no Ascends, trade their spot for the Phils - interested to hear comparative impressions of that RAAL.
Am I one of the few, or one of many that are most curious how speakers with different tweeter technologies perform in this event?

161 - 180 of 450 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.