Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got all my pieces and started building this week. I had a stroke of luck at a local specialty lumber store near me and found 3/4" mdf with fir veneer on one side and cherry veneer on the other. I am using the cherry side for my box. It was just over 4 cu.ft. to start , but with the driver and bracing it is about 3 3/4 cu.ft. now. the 1/4 round is maple. here are a few pics to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I want to stuff the box to make up for lost space. Is it safe to use loose polyfill with the plate amp, or am I better off using pillows with polyfill?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike. Couldn't have done it without your help. Hopefully I can finish staining and varnishing this weekend and get this sucker assembled. hopefully have some more pics soon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stain and 3 coats of varnish just finished. more pics to come tomorrow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used polyfill pillows to stuff the box. One pillow is close to the plate amp. Is that going to be an issue , or should it be ok. I left the pillows loose in the box, should I staple them down?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wouldnt worry to much about affixing the stuffing. The plate amp has it's heat sink on the outside so most of it's heat will travel that way.

I ran one of those plate amps powering a shiva-x and a pair of Peerless xxls 12's (not at the same time) and it never really got that hot.

I do recall that amp having some built in low end boost. Try and remember that when tuning. It would be smart to look into it. If I remembered how much and at what frequency I'd tell you bit I honestly can't remember. I think it is really low around 20hz or something.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I won't get a chance to play around with tuning until the weekend. It has selectable boost at 12, 16, 20 and 25 hz. Modelling in winisd shows going over xmax at the 16 hz setting but it won't hit xmech. I have it at 20 hz right now.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Looks great. I think you will be very happy with it. :T

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here's some pics of it all finished. I am into this for under $500 total and this is my first build. So far so good.
Beautiful cabinet. Surely some great work for a 1st build.

Any details on the stain/sealant used to finish the box?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the wood is 3/4" mdf with cherry veneer on one side and douglas fir on the other ( I used the cherry side). The 1/4 round is maple. The stain is Minwax Gunstock. I used Minwax semi gloss varathane.

·
Registered
252 Posts
the wood is 3/4" mdf with cherry veneer on one side and douglas fir on the other ( I used the cherry side). The 1/4 round is maple. The stain is Minwax Gunstock. I used Minwax semi gloss varathane.
Did you use edge band veneer for the end cuts or is that exposed MDF?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used veneer on the top, but just left the back and bottom edges raw mdf.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had some problems with the Oaudio plate amp and had to send it back yesterday. But from what I did hear, it sounded very good. Much more musical than my last sub.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts