Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought I'd start a new thread since the design is more or less finalized now.

I'm making three bassmodules for my LCR channels. Hoping to cover 40-300 or thereabouts.

Ricci came up with an enclosure for the drivers, and they model beautifully for my use:
original thread

Slot port, 46w x 8h x 21.6cm

They will be driven by Behringer EP4000, they get one channel each. I have three amps. One channel for my Klipsh KL-650THX mains and one for the Emmy for each LCR. EQ and crossover duties by a Behringer DCX2496.

Hoping to get some more midbass punch, and offload my LLT sonotubes a little. Maybe I won't even need the LLTs for music. (I'll still use them, most likely). The bassmodules have a potentioal 132dB at 500W each, so I'm hoping the Klipsch mains will keep up.

Ordered the drivers from Parts Express, but since shipping from the states is so slow it'll be a while before I get started. I'll get the amps and DCX before that, so I can start optimizing the mains while I wait! :T

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
It depends on the look you want. Just make sure you double up the baffle, and put lots of bracing in the box. I like to use MDF for the inner layer, and ply for the outer layer, with solid wood for the edges on the baffle.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They will never be visible, I'm putting them behind my screen, so looks is no concern. But doing dual material baffle is sure to have a benefit to break up resonance. Good call.

So if i want to flush mount the driver to the baffle I need a third layer, right?

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
No expert here, but I don't think three layers is necessary, particularly if it is ¾"/19mm material and well braced. I really want to hear your opinion(and REW) once you complete it. I have a similar setup, but the 12" drivers won't play nice higher up like the eminence.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm planning on using 22mm MDF for the inner layer and braces.

The slot port will form part of the brace, I think. Haven't really thought about the box design yet, just the overall dimensions, primarily to minimize material waste.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yeah, I thought about that too. I hope some of the bigshots around here will chime in on the design, though. I am concerned about the opening area of the brace being large enough to not affect tuning.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Right. What is the internal dimensions of your sketchup?

I'd not do the bracing with the port like that. I'd be concerned about it affecting the port loading. Adjust your port area so that the port is the full width of the enclosure and that will naturally tie into the walls for bracing. Make sure that you leave at least 8" or so from the rear of the port to the back wall. For best results leave about 8" of clearance around the port end top to bottom to. You can add shelf braces above and below to tie the back panel into the sides and front if you want.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The internal dimensions is 60cm wide, by 40 deep, and 80 tall, which equals 192liters. Subtracting post and driver/bracing, and we're not far from the modelled 184 liters.

I can make it a little deeper maybe, to give the port some breathing space.

I'll see what I can come up with.
What port dimensions do I need to go 55cm wide for the port?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Keep forgetting how BIG 15" woofers are! :D

These lightweight drivers will be very exciting to test in my theater. The magnet is very small, but apparently very powerful neondium, so it's all right, I think. I was amazed how light they were, though. :) Nothing like the Soundsplinter beasts.

Only got two today, the third is lost in the mail somewhere. according to tracking it was shipped overseas via Paris to Oslo, and the sent back to the states?!? It'll get here eventually, I'll start making the enclosures this weekend. Haven't got the amps or the DSP yet either, so it's all right.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts