Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 31 24.2%
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the hype over the new 3D formats coming to your local home theater do you see yourself spending the cash to upgrade all your equipment to accommodate the new technology? I do believe that you need HDMI 1.4 compatible equipment.
I myself cant see this catching on very fast due to the cost. I would have to upgrade everything, receiver, Bluray player, projector/display and I think even the 35' HDMI cable I have run. I also cant stand wearing the glasses and thats the real deal breaker for me. This just does not seem like something that will sell.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Having just upgraded my display, I debated this point while looking at different options, but it meant I would have had to wait until the 3D technology settled down and I didn't want to wait any longer. And as with any technology, you have to decide when to jump in or continue standing on the sideline and watching as each new generation comes and goes. IMO since most people have just spent money on upgrading to HD, the desire to dump everything and start over will be low. However, I wonder how many people have delayed buying new technology and will jump on the 3D. In any case, the bottom line for me is that 3D is not in my future.

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I doubt that I will upgrade either. I just barely picked up a Blu-ray player last week.
As for 3D, I think it's a novelty. Kinda cool for a few minutes but that's about it.

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Sony has said the PS3 will be getting a firmware update to make it 3D capable,now will this apply to all BDP's on the market I'm not sure. but this would still mean you will have to update your TV,HDMI,and most likely your receiver as well to support HDMI 1.4 all this is going to get rather expensive to convert to 3D tech.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also agree that the glasses makes this a hard sell, I do not like waring them as it ruins the experience of the large screen. I understand that they likely would sell comfortable ones but at what cost and you would need a set for each person in the room.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also agree that the glasses makes this a hard sell, I do not like waring them as it ruins the experience of the large screen. I understand that they likely would sell comfortable ones but at what cost and you would need a set for each person in the room.
Don't the 3d TVs work without glasses? I was under the impression that the reason these things are a bigger deal than a simple software re-write is because they eliminate the need to wear anything to experience the effect.

I'd love one, but then again, I'd also love $12k :spend:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope you still need glasses its just the lenses are no longer colored (red/blue).

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
I won't be able to sit at home with glasses on my face just to watch TV or play games. The cost of the TV itself will be out of hand and then having to buy a few set's of glasses so the family can watch TV also let's not forget if you have company, If this is the case it will get really expensive to watch TV at home might as well go to the movies.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am curious maybe we should do a pole? Can someone help me set that up I have no idea how to do that. Seems so far most think they will not upgrade.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'm probably with the gang that says no, only because I just recently spent a good sum getting a good projector and BD player and don't want to re-invest this soon. I must say however, that I'm a 3D enthusiast and would like the ability to have 3D at home at some point in the future. It's vastly improved now that most of the process has gone digital. What I've been seeing at theaters (Meatballs, Avatar, etc.) is really good quality compared to what has been available in the past. The colored glasses method (anaglyph) stinks in most forms and has been the only way home presentations were possible without a full 3D setup, but that will soon be history except for comic books.
I could say that I'd go 3D if my present BD player could be upgraded (through firmware) to provide the 3D HDMI stream, assuming someone would produce a box that would split this stream into two 2D HDMI outputs. I would then take on the investment of an additional projector (matched to my current one) which would allow for 3D and the convenience of an extra projector. I don't think I will invest for some time if I need to buy a new player AND a new projector. That said, I'm in the maybe, but not right away category. (MBNRA category).

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
83 Posts
I will more than likely go for it but not right away. I think it will be at least 2-3 years before it is truly mainstream.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
The Phillips 3D display does produce good images using a variation of the lenticular process (which has been used before in a lot of applications) but the process is viewer position sensitive. Phillips has gotten around this by tracking the viewer and using a finer lensing pattern, but still has problems when multiple viewers are involved at various viewing angles. Also if you have head movement, some blurring can result at certain angles. Depending on your perspective, this could be better than wearing glasses, but glasses make viewing by large audiences and angle non-dependency possible. Glasses don't decrease the contrast. They decrease overall image brightness and since they decrease the blacks and whites by the same factor, the contrast index remains constant (same thing a gray screen does). Some glasses have an undesirable tint that can affect color accuracy. Shutter glasses will decrease the brightness by over 50% since each eye is blocked slightly more than 50% of the time. You get the 50% duty cycle reduction plus further brightness reduction due to the glasses themselves (about another 10-20%). The same applies to theaters where circular polarized glasses (not shutter glasses) are used since the image is present on the screen for about 50% of the time for each eye (the exception is IMAX 3D where two projection sources are used simultaneously, each having a different polarization - in this case you only have the brightness reduction the glasses introduce, but a silver screen must be used which adds a little reduction of its own compared to the high gain screen used with shutter glasses). Just some info for those interested.
And yes, the Phillips 3D technology is expensive!

·
Registered
6,170 Posts

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
I voted maybe as I will see how well it is accepted, never liked wearing those silly coloured glasses so it will have to be really very good to make me change :huh:

1 - 20 of 142 Posts