Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My room is not a dedicated home theater room it is a living room and workout place. So I was thinking 4 below 400usd subs like the PL-200, F12 or PSW505 would be better plus I can buy them 2 at a time the other sub I am looking at is the SVS-PB2000 but will be able to buy probably 1 every few months.... PS is this the right sub group for this question?

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,321 Posts
There are a number of factors to consider with your situation...
  • Why 4 subwoofers, was it because of the total cost or for a different reason?
  • How many seats are you trying to cover? Multiple subs have benefits when you want to smooth our room modes but if you only have 1 viewer most of the time then that benefit diminishes.
  • How large is your room (HWD)? The total volume of space plays a huge roll in deciding what would or wouldn't work.
  • What are your preferences? Do you like quality sound or are you most interested in total volume? Do you listen to any music on this system?
You quoted a price for the different subwoofers you're looking at by saying USD, so I assume you are not in the US? If so, what country do you live in? In the US we have options not available everywhere else.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  • How many seats are you trying to cover? Multiple subs have benefits when you want to smooth our room modes but if you only have 1 viewer most of the time then that benefit diminishes.
  • How large is your room (HWD)? The total volume of space plays a huge roll in deciding what would or wouldn't work.
  • What are your preferences? Do you like quality sound or are you most interested in total volume? Do you listen to any music on this system?
You quoted a price for the different subwoofers you're looking at by saying USD, so I assume you are not in the US? If so, what country do you live in? In the US we have options not available everywhere else.
1. Total cost (plus inspite of my living room being small it is not closed their is an open stairway leading up was thinking of placing one sub by the stairs) I can probably just spend 400usd to 600usd per 4 months I have an old Polk DSW-MICROPRO 3000 from my old system I will use for now.

2. I couch 3 seats

3. I am still waiting on my laser measurement thingy will take pictures as well and post once it arrives.

4. I want some quality for musics as well as chest thumping base for when my Pioneer elite receivers get here. Doing an atmos 7.4.4 setup. The priority is home theater as well. By the end of it I will add a 4 projector as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok guys my measuring tape is finally here the dimensions are length 10-10 feet, width 8-9 feet, height 7-8 feet.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,321 Posts
Are you certain of those dimensions? That's less than 800 ft^3, which is a pretty small room. With a TV, speakers, couch and perhaps an end table or two I can't imagine there being space to fit 4 subs.

·
Registered
197 Posts
My room is not a dedicated home theater room it is a living room and workout place. So I was thinking 4 below 400usd subs like the PL-200, F12 or PSW505 would be better plus I can buy them 2 at a time the other sub I am looking at is the SVS-PB2000 but will be able to buy probably 1 every few months.... PS is this the right sub group for this question?

Absolutely, four reasonably-priced, and reasonably-performing subs will outperform a single sub, regardless of how good it is. You may find that this thread answers your question: AustinJerry's Set-Up - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you certain of those dimensions? That's less than 800 ft^3, which is a pretty small room. With a TV, speakers, couch and perhaps an end table or two I can't imagine there being space to fit 4 subs.
So I can just put in 2 max. I just need it to fit a 100 inch projector screen and fill the room with bass.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,321 Posts
The number of subs you use depends upon several factors so there's not one set answer. Your room is small so unless you have seating locations spread wide apart multiples may not be very beneficial. Having more than one sub is recommended to balance out room modes, but that's only accomplished through careful placement and measuring the results. It takes time, effort and knowledge to really make it work. If your goal is to just place them where they look the best than you're unlikely to get much benefit. Also remember that multiple mediocre subs will just be louder, the sound quality is still mediocre. In most cases it's better to get quality over quantity.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Absolutely, four reasonably-priced, and reasonably-performing subs will outperform a single sub, regardless of how good it is.
I agree!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would get 4 subs and double stack them if there is room for 2 subs only.
Thanks looking into the hsu vtf-2 mk5 will purchase 1 every 6 months till the room bass response is good..... another question would be is I have an old Polk DSW-Micropro 3000 can I run that with the VTF-2 Till I get to at least 2 subs? Is there a way to calibrate them to get them to run together and sound good?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ideally all the subs should be identical. They play in the same passband. That applies even more so when mixing ported and sealed subs.
If you look for sound quality and phase accuracy I'd recommend sealed subs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ideally all the subs should be identical. They play in the same passband. That applies even more so when mixing ported and sealed subs.
If you look for sound quality and phase accuracy I'd recommend sealed subs.
Which subs would you recommend in particular? SVS?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Thanks looking into the hsu vtf-2 mk5 will purchase 1 every 6 months till the room bass response is good..... another question would be is I have an old Polk DSW-Micropro 3000 can I run that with the VTF-2 Till I get to at least 2 subs? Is there a way to calibrate them to get them to run together and sound good?

You CAN mix subs, but the phase responses will be different so you’ll likely have a bunch of Cancellations, especially around the port tuning. Also, the more capable subwoofer is usually held back by the lesser one, somewhat defeating the purpose. Also, I’m not a fan of sealed subs, but your room is pretty small, so a pair of good quality ones should do nicely. If you have options for placement, a single sub can be setup with great results. Duals main benefit is smoother response over a wider area. So if you only have one seat, the advantages might be lost, and you still have to place duals correctly as well. No such thing as plop n play.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
For music application I would consider sealed subs only, no compromise. But that's me.
While I personally disagree with the sealed thing, I recall this same poster in another forum and we discovered that it’s an HT based room with a very high percentage towards TV and films. I would personally agree with a nod to sealed if space or WAF is an issue and in this case it could be since the room is small, and then I’d recommend an HSU or Rythmik for best value.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For that small of a room I think he would be fine with dual 15's either sealed or vented.
HSU, Rythmic, PSA or SVS you really can't go wrong with any of these.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Check out the $29 JBL 12 thread on avsforum.com. The last couple pages we are discussing 1 sub vs 4 subs. If WAF is not an issue, then 4 subs moving 1mm is better than 1 sub moving 12mm in simple sealed enclosures.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts