Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Check out the $29 JBL 12 thread on avsforum.com. The last couple pages we are discussing 1 sub vs 4 subs. If WAF is not an issue, then 4 subs moving 1mm is better than 1 sub moving 12mm in simple sealed enclosures.
This is juuuuust a little too much of a blanket. While there definitely are benefits, it’s much more complicated than that. Iirc that JBL driver thread came about because of the BOSS?

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is a blanket. Cone area rules. In the same thread, they show a comparison of 4 $29 12's versus the single $400-$500 21" sub that the BP6 enclosure is designed for. 2204cm2 of Sd vs 1680cm of Sd.

It might have.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
It is a blanket. Cone area rules. In the same thread, they show a comparison of 4 $29 12's versus the single $400-$500 21" sub that the BP6 enclosure is designed for. 2204cm2 of Sd vs 1680cm of Sd.

It might have.
I’m definitely going to browse the thread and see what it’s about. Seems interesting. IME, it’s far more involved than cone area.

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the displacement of 4 cheap speakers at 1mm travel is greater than the displacement of 1 expensive speaker at 15mm travel, then you are going to feel more bass. More than likely, you are going to get more distortion with the expensive speaker at 15mm. If a speaker moves, it distorts.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
If the displacement of 4 cheap speakers at 1mm travel is greater than the displacement of 1 expensive speaker at 15mm travel, then you are going to feel more bass. More than likely, you are going to get more distortion with the expensive speaker at 15mm. If a speaker moves, it distorts.
But it’s so much more than that. Let’s say you want to play movies that have content to 20hz. If you have a bunch of drivers or enclosures with an FS or f3 of let’s say 30hz, you can never get the extension out of them. So you might get louder bass, but not deeper. And what if the expensive driver is fully capable of 21mm? It should effectively be better, but still distortion free. I don’t think you can simply say, if a speaker moves it distorts. That’s a part of is function, moving. Technically anything can be considered distortion, but can i think it has to be measurable and shown to be high enough to actually hear. I’m gonna go through the JBL thread and see what those guys are talking about too.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
By the way, these bassheads are into content below 20hz!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Yeah. I think they wer talking about building a devastator right? Iirc it was 29cuft. Link didn’t work. I’ll try safari...

·
Registered
97 Posts
They started a separate thread a couple of days ago.

JBL Devastator

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would( I did) go with one decent sub and later add a second one to match it. With speakers cheap is just that. They do more than any other component in your system as far as sound you want and like. I started with a single
SVS 13 inch ported cylinder, added another and later went to two sealed box SVS 16 ultras subs . There you are getting into a grand each but if you want lower cost ones that is what you get. Not bad but not nearly as good. For great system speakers I started with a pair of JBL horns, compression drivers, crossovers and 15 inch bass drivers for $1200 in 1975. That was a lot of money back then but still cheaper than the fully enclosed speakers with those drivers. Built my cabinets and still have those drivers (and cabinets) in use. Have added more since then, again in my enclosures. Problem is JBL won't sell you the individual drivers anymore unless you have the sales slip for the speakers they came in and need them as replacements. Gotta go to ebay or somewhere else for th good stuff unfortunately. Be careful that the ones you buy have good cones and surrounds and are fully functional. Reconing is expensive if you can even get new cones with voice coils.

If you want theater, spend something on your sub(s) and plan on eventually two of them to balance the sound in the room. A single one will have hot and dead spots too easily. Two or more smooth out the room sound. Tough to go from 4 insufficient subs to 8 insufficient subs. Room may be smoother but subs will still sound anemic. Go one good one that costs more than you wanted to spend, enjoy it till you get itchy for another and when you got the $ go for another the same.. Nice thing about SVS is free trial and shipping as well as trade up's.. PS all my other speakers are JBL drivers in home built cabinets. Most use compression drivers for midrange so not cheap, just lower cost than using their cabinets. Last forever. I built most of my speakers in the 1970's and haven't heard any that I like better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hi guys I decided to go DIY 21" inch subs in GSG mini marty kits. I figured it would be the best bang for the book and kick svs high end subs in the butt for cheap. Gonna buy the 4 pack and just 1 woofer for now and add more as I go along. Will invest in the Sinobsen 4650watt by 4 channel @4ohms to drive these beasts. I would figure this would be the most future proof decision I can make right now at a practical price too at half the most expensive model SVS has.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
1. Total cost (plus inspite of my living room being small it is not closed their is an open stairway leading up was thinking of placing one sub by the stairs) I can probably just spend 400usd to 600usd per 4 months I have an old Polk DSW-MICROPRO 3000 from my old system I will use for now.

2. I couch 3 seats

3. I am still waiting on my laser measurement thingy will take pictures as well and post once it arrives.

4. I want some quality for musics as well as chest thumping base for when my Pioneer elite receivers get here. Doing an atmos 7.4.4 setup. The priority is home theater as well. By the end of it I will add a 4 projector as well.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
I have 4 10" Definitive Technology sub's in my listening room, which is "small" and L-shaped. This is more than enough to cause window
panes throughout the house to rattle, while watching rock'em-sock'em movies.

For music, mainly classical. I want clarity of bass notes above all else. The Def Tech's are the same size as the woofers in my Martin Logan
hybrids, so I effectively have 6 "subs". I detest "muddy bass". The main speakers in my 7.4 system are all planar magnetic M-L's, again
because of their phase coherence over the upper frequency range. Push comes to shove, I will choose "clean bass" over "deep bass".

One piece of equipment essential to .4 sub channels is a digital crossover capable of room correction. I started with a miniDSP 2X4 which is
under $100, and upgraded to a miniDSP 2x4HD with the 2.0 Dirac software upgrade. Be prepared to spend a huge amount of time reading
Floyd O'Toole's "Sound Reproduction" and adjusting speaker placement and x-over settings. You will need a lot of patience and commitment
to get 4 sub's dialed in. The fact that you have an "open" sound field due to your stairway is a departure from most theoretical modeling of
bass frequencies in a room, as does my L-shaped room.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts