Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I've had this stuff sitting in my garage for a couple months now. My equipment for my subs consist of 4 Mal-X Gen II,8-18" passive radiators, 4 ep2500's and 1 sms-1. I was going to put the subs co-located at the front of my family room on either side of the fire place. 2 Mal's and 4 passive's in 2 seprate 16^3 boxes. The passives with max mass added would give me about a 16-17hz tune.

Here's the problem i have, i've been modeling a couple differnt things and with the set up above with SSF set at 15hz in the sms-1 i would see about 101 db @ 10hz and about 128db @ 20hz.

If i went with the 4 Mal's seald in about 20^3(10^3 in each box) i would see 111db @ 10hz and about 122db @ 20hz.

I was already to go untill I saw that I may be able to gain 10db @ 10hz. Am i missing something, what would be the downfall of going seald besides losing 6db @ 20hz

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have been on both sides of the fence ( high powered sealed boxes ) and large vented / PR boxes. I have to say that both have their place, sealed boxes generally work decently with less eq when used in smallish rooms that are well sealed.

If you have a large area that is open to the rest of the house, running sealed boxes may result in you driving them above their limits to get enough 'oomph'. I have seen the aftermath. ( burned up drivers, amps failed )

Location is very important. If you have a sub currently, you can use it with REW software and about $ 150 in outboard gear ( mic, phantom power supply, sound card ) to measure possible positions before you build.

·
Registered
177 Posts
What size room do you have and have you been able to test it to get your room gain? Like it was mentioned if you have a smaller space going the the PRs may get your more over all spl once you account for room gain down low.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have been on both sides of the fence ( high powered sealed boxes ) and large vented / PR boxes. I have to say that both have their place, sealed boxes generally work decently with less eq when used in smallish rooms that are well sealed.

If you have a large area that is open to the rest of the house, running sealed boxes may result in you driving them above their limits to get enough 'oomph'. I have seen the aftermath. ( burned up drivers, amps failed )

Location is very important. If you have a sub currently, you can use it with REW software and about $ 150 in outboard gear ( mic, phantom power supply, sound card ) to measure possible positions before you build.
I will not be able to change to location of the subs. This will be in my new house and i don't have my old subs, I sold them on ebay to get the Mal-x's. So I have no way of measuring the room with REW.

The room where my subs will be is 15' x 20' with 9' ceillings. But it has no rear wall, that's opened to the breakfast area and kitchen. And one of the side walls has 2 huge open hall ways leading to the rest of the house. So the subs will pretty much be in open space.

One of the reason I'm running 4-18" subs and almost 8000 watts is beacuse i don't want an issue like you stated with "burned up drivers, amps failed". I figured with a setup like that i would have plenty of headroom and also be able to wow a few freinds and fam.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size room do you have and have you been able to test it to get your room gain? Like it was mentioned if you have a smaller space going the the PRs may get your more over all spl once you account for room gain down low.
The room where my subs will be is 15' x 20' with 9' ceillings. But it has no rear wall, that's opened to the breakfast area and kitchen. And one of the side walls has 2 huge open hall ways leading to the rest of the house. So the subs will pretty much be in open space.

I have no way of measuring the room with REW since I have no other subs as mentioned above.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Im a noobie but couldnt you make half the box sealed and the other half ported. In the end you would have 2 sealed boxes and 2 ported boxes and have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im a noobie but couldnt you make half the box sealed and the other half ported. In the end you would have 2 sealed boxes and 2 ported boxes and have the best of both worlds.
Im a noob also to home theater. i think you are refering to a bandpass encloser. I maybe wrong , but as far as I know a bandpass encloser only emphise a narrow band of Fq. Thats why they are found more in car audio than in the home.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For the most low end output in your stated room PR's would be the best option.
That's the conculsion I came up with, with Kevin in emails, that's why I have what I have. I just wanted a few other opinions of this build before its complete and someone says "hey, if you would have placed a flux capacitor on each sub with 51.95% titanium fill and 33.25% argon gas you could have gained 50 db's @ 10hz". LOL

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only thing anyone would be able to learn from my build thread is how not to build a passive radiator enclosure, cause my wood building skills are less than sub-par. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts