Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay I need some help here. We initially painted the wall in my restaurant fairly close to the gray screens we compared it to. This really isn't working out too well.

I would greatly appreciate simple instructions on what to buy at common stores, home depot, sherwin williams, whatever, no online ordering.

I have 4 large screens, we will probably just do the entire wall.

During the day the ambient lighting is somewhat bright but there are no windows so it is essentially enough lighting to feel comfortable at a restaurant. We do soften the lighting in the evening and at night. I have been told I should find a 1.25 gain for my purpose

I have read way too much about this process and all the different varieties of how to do it and am completely frustrated.

Please I am begging. Simple Instructions - paint type and how much to mix. I am worried the BW n7.5 will be too dark.

You can see the room setup by visiting babesmadisondotcomforwardslashwelcome

Thank you whoever decided to comment here.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi Hake0015, welcome to the forum! :wave:

I assume the photo below is of the current screen you are using and represents the normal ambient lighting conditions when the PJ's are in use.

It would be handy to know what PJ's are being used and what modes they are in (full lamp or eco, dynamic or theater mode). Also, what brand of paint, and color, is the current screen.

What don't you like, or what attribute would you like to improve, from the performance seen in the above photo?

A suggestion that comes to mind is to decrease the table illumination of the tables closest to the screen, or to change to a focused lighting system for those tables. The goal is to get as much room light off the screen wall as possible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried a lot of different paints and Behr 1050 paint is durable and do-able and won't drain your purse. google ( Behr paint silver screen blackout cloth white opal pearl paint) you'll find others that have done the testing for you .Good luck

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
RZ - We don't condone adding pearlescents to paints here at the shack because they cause a shift in the color of the image. They also can add unwanted graininess to the projected image. A lot of these paints are made from poor quality mica. And when light is projected onto them it is bent, much like a prism.

There are a lot of much better alternatives here. Take a look around. :T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
One thing I would suggest is to paint the unused sections of the wall a dark color as this will give your images better contrast and help define where the one image stops and the next starts. The human eye perceives things differently that you might think and just by doing that it will improve the quality of the projected image.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
One thing I would suggest is to paint the unused sections of the wall a dark color as this will give your images better contrast and help define where the one image stops and the next starts. The human eye perceives things differently that you might think and just by doing that it will improve the quality of the projected image.
Excellent advice Tony! :T Can you imagine what the images would look like on those walls if the area surrounding the screen was a darker color? It'd probably change their mind about looking for new paint.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts