Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife went out and purchased the ingredients for Black Widow and the guy said they don't do Bermuda beige anymore, that is is not called sweet surrender. The color didn't look too beige on the top of the can, and this being my first BW screen, I wanted to check and see if anyone else had come across the sweet surrender.

thank you

dave

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
No that doesn't sound right. It should be a PPG paint code and they should be able to mix it even if it is an old color.

Check the Black Widow thread, there should even be a shot of the top of the can with the exact code and tint mix...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i found them, is there is a difference between the valspar and the behr? I am hoping that they take the paint back and won't make us pay for another quart?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also I have one slight blemish in the wall, it is kind of a dent out of the plaster. I was wondering if some brands of mud were better than others. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
i found them, is there is a difference between the valspar and the behr? I am hoping that they take the paint back and won't make us pay for another quart?
We believe that Valspar is a better paint than Behr, but either will work. If you get Valspar from Lowe's go with either the Valspar Ultra Premium Enamel latex in flat finish or the Valspar Signature in matte finish. If you use Behr paint try to get the older Behr #1850 (this number represents the paint, base and finish types) instead of the newer Behr ULTRA #1750; some stores don't carry the #1850 anymore.

If the store can't find the tint formula for PPG "Bermuda Beige" in their computer database use the relavant tint formula from the Black Widow™ thread for the paint you choose. Be careful not to use a gallon tint formula for a quart of paint or vica versa. It is easy to convert from one quantity to the other, multiply a quart tint formula by 4 to get the amount of tint for a gallon or divide a gallon tint formula by 4 to get the amount of tint for a quart. The store should know enough to do this, but...

I don't know what brand of paint you bought in "Sweet Surrender", but you should have no problem returning it since they told you it was the right color and it isn't.

Both Valspar and Behr have colors called "Sweet Surrender" and neither of them are close to the color of PPG "Bermuda Beige".

While the color of the area below may not be an exact match to "Bermuda Beige" due to differences in color accuracy from one computer monitor to another, it should be close to what your can of PPG "Bermuda Beige" looks like.

Can't really help you on the drywall mud question, but I never remember anyone saying one brand was better than another. And it's not a dumb question. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you very much for the response. I just got home and looked at the quart of valspar and the color is way off, more of a lime tint, and the tint values are off as well from the valspar tint values that I found on the black widow thread. It says that 427-2 is sweet surrender, but the values are:
103-0.5 105-1.5 111-0.5.

the picture on the thread is a gallon, so what values do I have to divide by 4 for the quart size?

thank you

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
thank you very much for the response. I just got home and looked at the quart of valspar and the color is way off, more of a lime tint, and the tint values are off as well from the valspar tint values that I found on the black widow thread. It says that 427-2 is sweet surrender, but the values are:
103-0.5 105-1.5 111-0.5.

the picture on the thread is a gallon, so what values do I have to divide by 4 for the quart size?

thank you
Since it seems you are using Valspar paint from Lowe's I'll use that gallon formula to show how to reduce a gallon tint formula to a quart (you should also simply be able to take the gallon tint formula to Lowe's and just tell them you want it made in a quart instead).

From the label the paint is Valspar Ultra Premium interior flat enamel Base 1 (I would recommend getting the same paint). The tint code is 101-5.5, 107-13.5, 109-7. The first number is the color code for that tint, and the last number is the amount of tint in 48ths of a fluid ounce. Simply divide the last number by 4 to get the amount for a quart of the same paint.

For a quart of Valspar Ultra Premium interior flat enamel Base 1 the tint formula would be:
101-1.375 (5.5 divided by 4)
107-3.375 (13.5 divided by 4)
109-1.75 (7 divided by 4)

:T

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow, thank you so much. I must confess I was a little confused about what number to be dividing by four. Hopefully my wife will go out today and get the paint taken care of, then a little bit of mudding and it will be black widow time!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts