Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toshiba 43HX71 which will not turn on. When I turn it on after plugging it in, the red power light comes on briefly and then starts to flash. About 4 months ago I had some convergence problems and thanks to the great information on this site, I replaced the two IC chips and the TV was good as new until now. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally got around to working on my TV and I have a quick question. I removed the main power board but cannot get one wire disconnected. The wire is in the same area as the high voltage cables and looks like a small version (22 AWG) of the high voltage cables. I have slid the boot up and tried pulling and twisting but nothing seems to work. The wire is connected to a board mounted at the front of the TV and I cannot disconnect that end either. Any suggestions?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Some of the Toshiba sets have the focus wire soldered on the end that normally has a slide on connector at the focus/screen block. You have to desolder it, no choice.

Sorry I missed your post earlier. These sets have been known to have some bad solder connections in several areas that create problems, so look for that first. Of course, check the pico fuses to see if one has opened.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid of that. Not a big deal except that I didn't take my TV out of my cabinet, I just turned it around. Now I have to take the front apart...oh well.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
It is not a big deal to get to it. There is a panel with a few screws and one screw holding the focus block in, then you can move it around easily to desolder it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm now having problems getting the front speaker panel off so I can access the screws holding the focus block in place. I have removed the four screws that hold the panel in place and it releases on the right side but will not budge on the left side. The service manual only shows the 4 screws holding it in place and it looks like it should come forward at the bottom and come out. Is there a trick to it, or is it just stuck and needs a bit of persuasion?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I don't recall having to remove the panel with the speakers, only a smaller panel in the middle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The focus block is at the front far left side when looking from the back. The only way to access the screws to remove the block that I can see is to remove the front panel below the display screen. I tried to just remove the cloth grill but could not - I didn't want to pull too hard and snap the plastic.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Ah, you are trying to remove the grille. This can be scary. They fit tight and it seems like it will break. If you are not careful it might.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess it helps if I use the proper terminology. I have pulled on the grill pretty hard and it won't budge on one of the sides. Is there another way to access the focus panel? What about cutting the wire and splicing it back together with solder after?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Toshiba 43HX71 for 8 years.
No power on only with a red blinking LED light.
Not always the STK392-110 convergent IC problem.
Open the lower-back cover, goto the far-left corner.
On the big-floor PCB, try to locate the black SOC Fuses.
Total 4 (5Ax2, 2A, 1.25A) around a group of purple Capacitors.
These bad FUSES are all with infinite (1) resistance unit.
Should be easily picked up with a Volt-Ohm-Milliammeter.

Replaced and done. Good Luck to all.
Allen 2011/3/27

1 - 11 of 11 Posts