Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Both of these changes would decrease my initial cost significantly
I wouldn't plan on any EQ, signal boosters, or high pass filters. That should help.

I wouldn't change driver plans....the Maelstrom just seems to be a in different league. If you need to go less expensive on the amp, I guess that would be ok initially, but I'd be a little weary of the low end FR of a plate amp. They typically have a high pass filter built in and it may rob some of your low end. Some have an adjustable center frequency for the high pass if you switch resistors.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Fired it up! The endplates, port, and tube are all tightly fitted- no glue yet. Played a little of the opening scene from LOTR fellowship- the driver was moving a whole lot, sound was...different than my svs cs12. Seemed like less sound, but more tactile. Heard a noise from the monster, so I turned it down- way down. Think it was my internal speaker wire, but the cone was moving quite a bit.

I'd bought a samson s-convert to up my signal when I tinkered with it on one channel going to my 10" aurasound, but now that it's bridged to the Mal-X, I have the s-convert turned almost all the way down, reducing the input rather than increasing it, while the amp (2200W) is turned nearly to max (as the amp literature said).

Funny, it doesn't seem loud and compared to the svs, it doesn't seem loud, but the camera resting on the couch was moving. Guess I'll pull it apart tonight and glue/screw it together so I can carpet it and fire it up again later this weekend:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
BAM!:hsd: It's up- and the critters are running:hide: :demon::rofl: My SVS CS12NSD to the left and the Tympanic Titanic, as my wife calls it, to the right. A big thanks to Mike P and Steve C along with all HTS'ers that share their builds and help so generously:T

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
These photos show how I used the crutches as the legs on the sub. I ended up recessing the aluminum tubes farther after test fitting. The 3/4" birch ply is exterior with the 1 1/8" tongue and groove decking ply doubled up to fit within the tube. The threaded bolts go all the way through, with a nyloc nut on the bottom that buries in the carpet. I figure a rubber cap could be used on a hard floor if needed. A drill press really makes this fit well, I wouldn't attempt this configuration without one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here are pics of my flares, both internal and external. I set my port at a depth I wanted to cut to with my jigsaw and marked it. I then set my jig saw at a slight angle and cut to the line, slowly, followed by ever increasing angles set on the jigsaw in which I moved farther outward. Good enough for me as it is almost 7' tall and I can't even see the port. The internal was brainstorming idea-a maelstrom! Again, too bad noone can see it. I cut it out with a jigsaw too:bigsmile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The baseplate went great, except that the cutout diameter was too big (see Maelstrom X mounting thread). But thanks to Mike P, I believe it is mounted for good. After a test run, I think some wires were noisy, so I zip-tied a couple to the frame. The polyurethane glue is nasty stuff, I mean really nasty, so wear gloves. Use a small amount too, unless you have a large gap, perhaps from a jigsaw cut versus using a router, as mine squeezed most of it out and I had to wipe it away. The foam went in using some hot glue, some poly glue. The finish could have been glossier, but as it really isn't seen very well, I didn't do more than a light sanding between two coats, finished with a coat or two of clear polyurethane.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How does it sound? Well, it sounds good, that is if I turn it down so it doesn't overpower everything.:hsd: So far, I've been testing it a bit with dvd material with waterfall plots that I found on the svs site, except the movies I have access to are often newer and are missing from there, eg Master and Commander. I do have LOTR and the Matrix series, and I've looked at a couple plots to see the freq in the LOTR and then played it back at increasing levels while viewing the driver's extension. So far it has done fine at levels I'll watch with the wife, where it is balanced with the mains. I don't have a spl meter yet. I ran audyssey and with the samson s-convert set at unity, my onkyo set the sub level at -13 I believe, so of course, I moved it up to -9 :yes: The samson signal lights light up, but don't stay on, and the clip lights have yet flicker-I guess there's reserve to spare:dumbcrazy: That's where it will stay for now unless I have it wrong. With the mains at -18 or so on LOTR, it easily produces what my svs cs12nsd worked hard to handle. The main differences seem to be the lows are more palpable while I don't notice it straining to fill my open room as the svs would from time to time. After a couple weeks sitting there not carpeted, once covered, it now exceeds the WAF:bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks guys for the compliments. I'm baffled why I'm getting the result I am: I've been using the Samson 2200W amp without boosting the input level from the receiver, and using no hpf. During the opening scene of LOTR Two Towers(when Gandalf falls with the Balrog), I had it at perhaps 18-16 on the receiver and it sounded great and the driver has alot of cone movement. I'm being careful since no hpf. Today, to test an SVS 500W plate amp, I connected them and turned it to max gain, hpf at 12hz (I figured 12.5hz would be ideal for a 14.5hz tune, no?) and turned the receiver on up to 6 as I figured it was safe. I believe that the sub output had less impact(and this is the confusing part), but cone movement was greater than anything I've seen previously. Could it be that the amp is clipping, and thus losing optimal control of the driver? I'm kind of in a dilemma as I'd like to experience all that this sub can provide, but also not willing to damage the driver.:scratchhead: Is there any way to know what kind of power the Samson I'm using?

·
Registered
287 Posts
If you have a multimeter, measure the AC voltage across the driver during these scenes.
The power = RMS voltage squared / Re

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Great build Glen! I like the extra work you put into the flares, very cool. I really love that Mal-X driver, and I can't wait until we get around to finishing our new basement so I can start planning my own build. Until then, I'll have to content myself with reading the forums, and ogling awesome projects like yours. Well done.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks Owen! I was fearful when first driving the Mal-X without a hpf, but I've got one now. It has an insane amount of xmax and I have never experienced anything close. I just bought Titan AE and 'test run' it and it is impressive. As my mains are small, I don't need too much, but my space is very open so the extra output really was needed over the 12" I had.
I really wanted to build another sonosub, but I've got too many projects right now that need completion. I'll be looking forward to your HT system build:T

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think I know why you are not getting what is expected. Your vented enclosure is over-damped internally. You have too much damping material. vented enclosures work best when there is less than 50% of the internal surfaces covered with damping material. Over damping seriously limits output.

Pull some out & check your results.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Maybe so, but unless something goes terribly wrong I don't think I'll be taking it apart soon. The output, while not staggering, is plenty for my system for balance as I only increase the s-convert's gain while listening to music, otherwise I have it set at 0! Btw, have you handled one of these Mal-X monsters? I don't look like this...:flex:
:rofl:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe so, but unless something goes terribly wrong I don't think I'll be taking it apart soon. The output, while not staggering, is plenty for my system for balance as I only increase the s-convert's gain while listening to music, otherwise I have it set at 0! Btw, have you handled one of these Mal-X monsters? I don't look like this...:flex:
:rofl:
They are beasts that's for sure. Perhaps you should start working out. :bigsmile:

With the system you have set up there though it should be wildly impressive. When you have some time, and your strength built up, I would remove at least 50% of your damping material from inside the enclosure.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts