Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 600 sqft HT with a 13ft diag screen, sound comes through JBL speakers set up as a normal 5.1 system. I am thinking of going to 6.1 or 7.1 set up with speaker(s) either in the wall behind the sitting area or surface mounted behind which is how I have the other speakers set up. The sound is awesome, we just watched Avatar last night and the sound blew us all away, awesome movie by the way and I didn't think I would like it. I was wondering if it's worth the extra expense to upgrade or not. My Denon receiver is already capable of 6.1 or 7.1 if I decide to. Rod...:dontknow:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
If you have more than one row of seating then 7.1 is a must have otherwise its not really any better however that said it wont hurt and if you have the room for the rear speakers its not a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Alot of folks think that 5.1 is more then adequite but there are situations where 6.1 or 7.1 would be of benefit, such as room size, seating and personnel preferance as you may know most movies only put out 5.1 sound anyhow but 7.1 is becoming more and more available, on top of that your AVR should decode it and send the sound to the correct speakers anyhow. So i say go for it!:T

·
Registered
790 Posts
If your room can handle the speaker positions without too much compromise, go for it. I'd also suggest getting rears as capable as your sides, and if possible the same model. Makes pans seem more cohesive to my ears.

I've never bothered with 6.1 speaker set up and went straight to 7.1

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You need at least 3 feet between the backwall and your seating area.

If you have that much space extra surrounds can enhance the surround sound field effect. Especially if you have some bookshelves in the back corners to diffuse.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have Axiom QS4 as my 7.1 rears. They are mounted on top of my DVD cabinets on either side of my equipment rack in the back of the room. I mounted them sitting on their end so that one of the radiators points down at an angle, the other straight and the third reflects off the ceiling. I know they are working sometimes you hear information coming form them but I find it very minimal.

That said what I hear could be a combination of open V seating postions, and an old Yamaha AVR.

I say try it out and let your ears make the decision

·
Registered
22 Posts
How much actual 7.1 material exists? I understand it is part of the highest BluRay sound codecs, but how many movies have actually been released to date with 7.1 channels? I understand that the receiver/preamp/whatever will turn 5.1 material into 7.1, but that is not what I am talking about here. Anyone know?

·
Registered
5 Posts
How much actual 7.1 material exists? I understand it is part of the highest BluRay sound codecs, but how many movies have actually been released to date with 7.1 channels? I understand that the receiver/preamp/whatever will turn 5.1 material into 7.1, but that is not what I am talking about here. Anyone know?
Did a quick search on 7.1 movies - not too much now, but there are quite a few flix that use Dolby Digital EX, and DTS-ES.
The added rear channels are either matrixed or are discrete.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I was reading in one of my mags that there are at least 100 titles out there now with 7.1.:dontknow:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I was reading in one of my mags that there are at least 100 titles out there now with 7.1.:dontknow:
War I think is 7.1 and quite a great one at that. Incredible action sound track. Still I don't see 7.1 as a wise investment given that most sound still comes from the front anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I subscribe to most of the home theater magazines, it would be helpful to know the specific issue that you read that, provided that they list examples and do not just throw out a number. It would also be very useful to find a web site with a listing all of the 7.1 discs. I found a search tool on the DTS web site, did a search for DTS 7.1 discs and here is a sample of the movies with 7.1 DTS HD Master audio:

Air America
Arrival, The
Bangkok Dangerous
Bank Job, The
Battle of Wits, A
Be Kind Rewind
Bird with the Crystal Plumage, The
Black Mask
Blood: The Last Vampire
Cabin Fever
Chaos

there were also a number of music titles. They were only displayed a few at a time with extra columns for country and type of disc and such, so I did not go through the time to extract, copy and paste the complete list. I did not find a search tool on the Dolby web site for Dolby TrueHD titles. If anyone has a suggestion for a definitive list of 7.1 material, I am all ears (get it?)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi..
the most importent is to put your effort and money on audio calibration. Room correction. that will definitly give you more than only more channels.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Experimentation ! try it you might like it. Then you could try a build out to a 9.1 or 10.2 (when equipment and source material eventually becomes available)

You say it rocks as is so be wary they say don't fix what isn't broken.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here is a good link to search for 7.1 Blu-Ray titles (thanks to another forum poster):
http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

There are more 7.1 titles than, say 3D ones, but still there are not enough to justify buying a 7.1 receiver in my opinion. If one already has a 7.1 receiver, then adding the rear speakers is just a matter of time. The bigger the room the bigger the benefit.

I think 7.1 sound is the biggest scam foisted on the HT community since HDMI. I fell for it because I value sound highly, so now I know how little benefit there is in 7.1 over 5.1.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The supply chain takes time to fill in to get titles of multi channel audio (7.1, 9.1, 10.2).
1st the technology needs to be invented.
2nd hardware needs to be developed and built for the studios and mixing houses
3rd Audio tech's need to learn how to mix more multi channel audio tracks
4th Directors and/or producers would have to choose to use such audio in the first place
Once all this is done then titles could be made which we in the home could listen to so long as we had the replay equipment :)

Or some kind of new technology can just steal from existing 5.1 channels and make fake channel sound, oh wait thats what they do now for 6.1 and 7.1 isn't it ?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I think 7.1 sound is the biggest scam foisted on the HT community since HDMI. I fell for it because I value sound highly, so now I know how little benefit there is in 7.1 over 5.1.
Thats a bit harsh, 7.1 is a real benefit to those who have two or more rows of seating like myself or the room is longer than 15ft and you have at least 3 ft of space behind the seating. 7.1 sounds much better than 5.1 as it envelops the listeners from all sides.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thats a bit harsh, 7.1 is a real benefit to those who have two or more rows of seating like myself or the room is longer than 15ft and you have at least 3 ft of space behind the seating. 7.1 sounds much better than 5.1 as it envelops the listeners from all sides.

I completely agree, I run di-pole surrounds and rear, produces a beautiful rear envelope of sound, seamlessly pans across the rear, When i turn off the rears I definitely hear a big difference, I would recommend putting in the exact same speakers for the rears as your surrounds so that it pans across without any speaker signature difference.
If your receiver is already capable of doing 7.1 I would go for it, but I can't say I would recommend someone to upgrade if they have to purchase a new avr.
If there is a way u can test and audition your setup I would,
Never the less audio calibration would be my top priority

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree that the difference is noticable. It may not be a huge diff like going to 5.1 for the first time, but you know it's missing when it's not there. Even without software that is encoded in 7.1, you will notice those speakers being used as the Denon will matrix the side-surround info into the rears. It is sometimes a bit odd, like with sit-com laugh tracks, but is generally pretty good.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Started out with 5.1, spent several years with 7.1 and now switching back to 5.1.
5.1 is Set It and Forget It!.
With 7.1 if the track is in 5.1 then the "rears" come out the side speakers. Yes you can click the remote and change the settings but afters years of hassling with the remote I've had it.
5.1 is Set It and Forget It. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here is a good link to search for 7.1 Blu-Ray titles (thanks to another forum poster):
http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

There are more 7.1 titles than, say 3D ones, but still there are not enough to justify buying a 7.1 receiver in my opinion. If one already has a 7.1 receiver, then adding the rear speakers is just a matter of time. The bigger the room the bigger the benefit.

Why would it be a scam if the overall power output is the same, and the receiver has no problem playing 5.1 when 7.1 isn't in the movie? I got a 7.1 receiver even though I don't even have enough drivers to use it that way, because it still has more than enough power to get the job done right, and when I finally am able to build my theater up to the level I dream it to be in the future, I won't have to get a whole new receiver.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts