Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys ... I have this is the correct place for positing this issue .. If not, please feel free to move it ..

I have a 5.1 Home Theater system which I use with my HDTV and PS3 to play blu-rays ... However, the sound I get sounds very much stereo-ish, and doesn't *feel* like its surround .. Except the bass .. the subwoofer does an excellent job with the bass ..

My setup is as follows:

PS3 <---- HDMI ---> Sony 46EX720 HDTV <---- HDMI Audio Return ---> Sony DAV-DZ640K Home Theater system ..

On my PS3, the 'audio detect' function detects 5.1, and I also have a Dolby Sound Check video on my PS3 which I use to verify that all 5 speakers and the subwoofer are outputting audio at correct levels .. That is, I check that 5.1 is working, and with this file it seems to be working .. However I then load a blu-ray and play it, and most times it feels like like 75% of the sound is coming from the 'Center' speaker, 15% sound is coming from the left/right speakers, and the remaining 10% is coming from the surround left/right speakers ...

Can I do anything to maybe make the 5.1 feel more real ? ... Or is the 5.1 audio on most blu-rays like this anyway ? .. Maybe someone can recommend a blu-ray to which whose 5.1 feels really like 5.1 ? I have like 240+ blu-rays, so I have a wide variety from which I can test ..

Lastly, the BD Audio Output setting on my PS3 has two options .. Currently its set to 'Linear PCM' by default, but there's also a 'Bitstream' option ? ... I have some idea on whats the difference between them, but would Bitstream improve the results in any way ?

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
If your PS3 is an older or Fat version and not a PS3 Slim, you need to have the PS3 decode the soundtracks from BD's. If a Slim it will bitstream these codecs. That is set it to Linear PCM. Also, do this if your HT System does not decode True HD and DTS HD.
You should also be able to change the Surround Mode to something more your liking on your HTS as well.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
My setup is as follows:

PS3 <---- HDMI ---> Sony 46EX720 HDTV <---- HDMI Audio Return ---> Sony DAV-DZ640K Home Theater system ..
I doubt you are getting more than compressed DD or even stereo from the Audio Return. You need to connect the PS3 directly to an HDMI input on the Sony HTiB if you want full quality sound.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, I agree with Kal. If your taking the audio from the display and going back to the receiver you will only get 2.1 sound (this is a restriction put on by the industry) You will need to go to the receiver first before the TV.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
The TV will provide 5.1 DD, but the HTIB will not decode any of the lossless codecs. However, I do not think the TV will passthrough DTS and a large number of BD's are DTS HD with a regular DTS track which would explain why so many BD's sound as described.

This HTIB seems only to be offered in India and other parts of Asia. It will sound slightly better if the PS3 is connected directly, but I am not sure with the speakers how much of a difference there will really be.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I doubt you are getting more than compressed DD or even stereo from the Audio Return. You need to connect the PS3 directly to an HDMI input on the Sony HTiB if you want full quality sound.
+1. It does make a difference which PS3 you are using, too. The "old" fat PS3 must be set to PCM in order to get DTS-MA/DD-TruHD; with the newer ones have a different (bitstream??) setting.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I played Snakes On A Plane yesterday, and it had probably one of the best surround sound effects I've 'heard' to date ... There are scenes when planes and choppers fly forward from behind, and sounds for these were very realistic ! .. In fact, many times the surround sound takes you by surprise, and you feel that maybe a plane just took off right behind you :p

So, I just maybe the speakers are fine, and its just that most blurays don't really utilize the surroiund speakers that much ...

Regarding the HTiB itself, I actually didn't want to spend so much on the thing as it was just supposed to be a normal quality HTiB for my bedroom ... The HTiB only has 1 HDMI port in it, which is why I connect it to the HDTV, so that whatever audio being played on the TV is played here ....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts