Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new home will have a great room with a high pitched ceiling. The pitch will run fore and aft with no place to use side wall surrounds, the room will be 30 feet long. and the seating will be under one side of the pitched ceiling. I am afraid if I use ceiling speakers, one of them will aim away from the listeners.
I have decided to use a 5.1 system with bipole speakers on the rear wall.
Will Auto room correction work in this situation? I currently have YPAO and might change to Audyssey.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,802 Posts
Our new home will have a great room with a high pitched ceiling. The pitch will run fore and aft with no place to use side wall surrounds, the room will be 30 feet long. and the seating will be under one side of the pitched ceiling. I am afraid if I use ceiling speakers, one of them will aim away from the listeners.
I have decided to use a 5.1 system with bipole speakers on the rear wall.
Will Auto room correction work in this situation? I currently have YPAO and might change to Audyssey.

Thanks
If you are thinking of switching to Audyssey...might I suggest you try Dirac? If you get Dirac as an extra box you will not have to recalibrate if you switch equipment down the road, plus it is much more flexible than Audyssey. :T:T

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
What is the point of dipoles on the rear wall. If they are on the wall they can't be truly acting as dipoles and rear wave loading might be an issue. Not trying to be critical, but I just have never understood the practice of using them this way. With a room that big I would be looking at geting a dipole effect from the rear by getting them away from the rear wall.

·
1,669 Posts
What is the point of dipoles on the rear wall. If they are on the wall they can't be truly acting as dipoles and rear wave loading might be an issue. Not trying to be critical, but I just have never understood the practice of using them this way. With a room that big I would be looking at geting a dipole effect from the rear by getting them away from the rear wall.
Well, Leonard, he did say "bipoles" :), but the idea is the same. More reflections to create a bit more diffuse, less localizable sound.
Btw, many so called "dipole" surrounds are only dipolar at HF, i.e, only the tweeters are out of phase.

cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your input. I have looked at Dirac and wonder if it would be too complicated for me. I would love to use it but hate to spend the bucks for something that would make things sound worse if not used properly.

Emotivas new Emersa 7.1 preamp might be good for me. I await further info.

Old analog dude.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts