Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying to find the best spot for my sub using with my laptop with HDMI out to AVR and USB SPL Meter (RS) to my laptop.

I notice that the dB reading is highest after I calibrated SPL meter then it would slowly drop off as time goes on.

I just lost 10 dB after 10 minute of waiting without moving or doing anything at all.

I also tested 8 different spot for sub placement, then when I got back to the first 1 again to recheck, it dropped ~5-10 dB. Same with other positions.

When I ran the SPL calibration again, it read ~5 dB lower than when I first set it at 80 dB.

I tried replacing HDMI cable and reinstall HDMI driver on laptop, but I still get the same symptoms.

Any ideas? :dontknow:

*All the graphs are 100% consistent. The dB is the only part that's off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nvm I think I found the problem.

The sub's back panel is malfunctioning. The more pressure it push the back panel in, the lesser the output (all the way to no sound). I'm talking very light pressure.

I can pull on one of the knobs, and it will sound 100% clear. Push it in about half way and I get distortion/clank noise.

I even RMA first AVR after calling SVS and Denon Support because we all concluded that the output of AVR was busted. However, the replacement gave pretty much the same low output as the one before. So, I thought it's the way it is because this was my first HT setup and have no idea what to expect.

Then the fluctuation of dB problem happened while messing around with REW (hence this thread). So, I troubleshoot the AVR, the laptop, and finally the sub itself. I accidentally noticed that when I turn the knobs, it would make the dB level unstable with crackling sound from time to time. Then I played around with it some more and and bingo.

Will call up SVS tomorrow.

/coolstory

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You bet. Just called SVS and they're sending a new amp replacement. The sub is PB-1000.

Hopefully this doesn't flip another switch in me to start making DIY sub after learning more about amps and replacing one myself. REW is pretty addicting as it is. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts