Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'll be building my home next year and the bonus room above the garage will be my theater, I think I decided to go 5.2, are there any good 5.1 avrs that I can hook an xpa3 to? My room will look alot like nezffs room, with regards to the walls, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Ok I'll be building my home next year and the bonus room above the garage will be my theater, I think I decided to go 5.2,
Using 2 subs is not 5.2 but 5.1 with dual subs. That's my setup, btw.

are there any good 5.1 avrs that I can hook an xpa3 to?
Many AVRs have preamp outputs. What's your budget?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying! I was wanting to do the entire setup for 2500-3k, that's everything, so avr needs to be relatively modest, I just need one I can run a xpa3 to the L,R,C, also if you split a sub preout will that sound bad? I want to use 2, that way I eliminate the " I wonder were the best position will be" problem, also plan on pre wiring the room, I've been salivating at this for awhile, again any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Do you already have the Emotiva amp? If not, why not just get a AVR that will power your speakers? It will help the budget rather than by channelling lots of cost to the XPA-3. You could always add it later if it because necessary.

So, how much is budgeted for the AVR?

Kal

·
Registered
359 Posts
Splitting the signal to 2 subwoofers shouldn't hurt anything. A simple Y adapter should be all that you need.
5.2 would be stereo subwoofers with different signals going to each. You could do that by using the high level input /outputs on the subs, placing the subs between yourthe front left and right speakers ( avr to sub / sub to speaker )and setting the front speakers to large. I've never used this configuration, but it has it's adherents.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I should point out that my setup is gonna have to come from best buy to start, family man you know, the klipsch icon series is what I'm looking at, if I don't use an xpa3 (which I do not have) what avr will push them hard enough so that dual 450w's don't drown out the sound? So I guess my budget would allow like 5-800 avr, thanks again for your help, the room size is 12 wide, 20 long, 8ft high, above garage so the walls are slanted.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Splitting the signal to 2 subwoofers shouldn't hurt anything. A simple Y adapter should be all that you need.
Agreed.

5.2 would be stereo subwoofers with different signals going to each. You could do that by using the high level input /outputs on the subs, placing the subs between yourthe front left and right speakers ( avr to sub / sub to speaker )and setting the front speakers to large. I've never used this configuration, but it has it's adherents.
Nope. 5.1 means that there is a discrete signal channel from the source to the subwoofer, usually referred to as LFE. Using crossovers or bass management to re-route bass from any/all channels to a subwoofer does not the same thing. So, adding more subs cannot make for a 5.2 system unless you have found such source materials. I have not.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Thanks! I should point out that my setup is gonna have to come from best buy to start, family man you know, the klipsch icon series is what I'm looking at, if I don't use an xpa3 (which I do not have) ....
Those speakers do not require such a power amp as they are very efficient. Any 100wpc AVR will suffice.
what avr will push them hard enough so that dual 450w's don't drown out the sound?
Irrelevant. Balancing the outputs for the multiple channels and subs is the task of system setup and, in theory, any subs should work with any main speakers if each has adequate amplification.

So I guess my budget would allow like 5-800 avr, thanks again for your help, the room size is 12 wide, 20 long, 8ft high, above garage so the walls are slanted.
No problemo. In that price range, I prefer to recommend either Onkyo, Integra, Denon or Marantz as these offer Audyssey MultEQ XT for setup and roomEQ.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks man! I have a ton of questions, of course this is the place to be for answers, like if I decide to run dual subs what's the best placement? 1 F-L, 1 R-R? Or should they both be in the front?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Hey thanks man! I have a ton of questions, of course this is the place to be for answers, like if I decide to run dual subs what's the best placement? 1 F-L, 1 R-R? Or should they both be in the front?
Lots and lots of resources, google is your friend. Take the time to read this through, lots of good info for someone with a ton of questions :)

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1

(If theres anything youre not understanding dont hesitate to ask for clarification)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That article was an extreme read! But now I'm headed in the right direction! Thanks, I can't believe I gotta wait a yr to build this but doing all this research will pay off I think!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You may be right about 5.2 but what if the subs are equalized separately? 5.15?
It would still be 5.1 since the source material is the same. .2 would require 2 discrete signals, one to each sub and as Kal stated, there's no source material available for Home Theater. Currently the only .2 application for subwoofers is 2 channel stereo for music.
I think you missed her implied smiley. :sarcastic:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok now that we have gotten the 2 sub thing taken care of I have another newb question, if I buy a 7.2 avr but watch movies that are only 5.1, is there any audio comin out of the remaining 2 channels? Even asking that seems weird!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Ok now that we have gotten the 2 sub thing taken care of I have another newb question, if I buy a 7.2 avr but watch movies that are only 5.1, is there any audio comin out of the remaining 2 channels? Even asking that seems weird!
Depends. Generally, no. OTOH, there are modes that will synthesis the additional outputs. So you shouldn't use them, right?

(N.B.: You are still referring to a 7.2 channel AVR which, afaik, does not exist.)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts