Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I could really use some help on either fixing my Magnovox model: 51MP392H/17 or recycling it. I am very capable of soldering and can follow instructions. The problem is I do not know where to begin, the set will attempt to power on and then turn off. There is no power to the screen, and will not completely turn on to check the sound. I removed the back panel and used compressed air to blow any dust off the boards. I removed the two ceramic type fuses and checked for continuity, they were good. That is what my microwave had done last year and it was just a ceramic fuse (cheap fix). I returned them to the TV set and with back panel off tried to turn on and look. The center lamp filament tried to power on and then the set turned off, looked like when a standard clear light bulb burns out. However, I do not believe it to be the lamps or I would think I should have audio and no video. Currently I have neither audio or video. Could someone please tell me if this could be repaired by a moderately skilled DIYer or is it a lost cause? Football season is upon us and I just lost my big screen. :help: I really would appreciate your response. Thank you.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Your thread has been moved to the proper forum. We have brand specific forums to maintain forum organization and to make information easier for others to find.

Your set is shutting down, likely due to a short somewhere. These sets generally have problems with coolant contamination in addition to whatever you have causing shutdown. The most likely cause for shutdown is a shorted convergence IC, but there are many other possibilities.

I would suggest you read the threads on convergence repair and on coolant contamination.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick reply. I have read on the convergence threads and I could not find one that stated the video was off. However, I do recall some slight color variance that was stated in those threads but I guess just was too small and low on the screen to pay attention to it. I shall look into the convergence IC, is there anyway to test it. Also should I be looking for cracked solder joints on the boards? Lastly, is this going to be a costly repair? Thank you again I really appreciate being put in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One additional note that my wife just informed me. Lately the tv had been dimming and the volume has gone up and down intermitely. I don't get much time with my tv to notice these things always at work or what little time I have working on something around the house lol. Anyway, I do not know if that changes your diagnosis but I know that the more and info I can provide the more you can narrow it down. Thank you again, most appreciated.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Convergence failures can cause shutdown, sometimes they do not. Regardeless of the problem, like I said, you will likely need a coolant change as well. This is not a very good set to start with, and unless you plan to DIY, it is unlikely to be worth repairing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts