Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 57H81 and it has the 2 colorstream HD inputs. I have a HD directv box, a ps3, and an xbox all hooked up to an Onkyo receiver, acting as a passthrough, to the tv. All 3 devices get cropped at the top and bottom when viewing in HD. I have plugged all 3 directly into the tv and they still crop. The only thing that seems to resolve the cropping in going back to SD, which really isn't an option.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
How much is it cropped? Normal overscan for this technology would be 5-10%. Is that what you are seeing? Have you used a test disc with an overscan pattern to check?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is within the range of 5-10%. Its just enough that sports games scores are clipped, which is tremendously annoying. Where would i get a test disc and would it actually fix the problem, or just tell me I have one?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
This is normal for this technology. You can minimize it with the service controls available, but you will likely need to do significant realignment to the geometry and convergence. The auto convergence sensors also have to see enough of the image to operate, so minimizing overscan can make it fail to work. Another method is to shim the CRTs or bulkhead to move it closer to the mirror. This also causes you to have to do more realignment and also may use more of the phosphors (if you go too far), so any wear may be obvious at the edges if you begin to use fresh phosphor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, so just to sum everything up.
I have done auto-convergence, yet it is still cropping the image.
The only way to fix this would be to open the tv and shim the entire screen to move it closer to the mirror. By doing that though, I decrease the life of my tv.
Is there a way to open up the tv and just decrease the overall size of the picture without shims? I.e. from the projector itself, or getting a different mirror? I don't mind black bars on the edges, I just want to see everything displayed.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
You can likely adjust the size in the service mode, but the degree and specific types of adjustments are something that I do not recall for this model. I recommend having the service manual before attempting any alignments.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts