Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Plain ole user
11,205 Posts
Check the fuses first. Shutdown is often due to an open fuse. Most common is one of the convergence supply fuses. An open fuse is a good indication of where you have a problem.

The jittery edges were likely due to a hyper module problem. These will sometimes cause shutdown, but rarely if it is just the caps. You likely have both failing caps in the hyper module and a convergence failure, but this is just a guess. Both problems are pretty common in these sets, and I do see them together sometimes. I am not sure but suspect that sync problems on the hyper module may stress the convergence amps and cause them to run hotter, making failure more likely.

· Plain ole user
11,205 Posts
There is no practical way to run the set without HV. It is simply not an easy chassis to do live testing on, and if you really want to get to things you have to pull the tube bulkhead out and set the whole chassis and bulkhead up on a bench. You can just barely tilt the chassis up while in the set to get to the bottom to run it live, and to get to it you have to have the whole set up on a bench or table. Even then it is not easy.

· Plain ole user
11,205 Posts
Most surface mount caps are less likely to last, IME. Where there is space, like in these modules, I just replace them with radial caps. You may have better options for low impedance and long life in radials than in SMDs.

· Plain ole user
11,205 Posts
If you got a flash around the green crt you likely have a bad connection somewhere or other problem and I would resolve that before anything else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.