Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it has been a long journey to get my sub built but I am nearing completion. I started this build in this thread but as I shared my center channel build here so I thought you might like to see my sub-woofer. All I have to do is my surrounds now.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1122760&highlight=usil

Changed my mind from the original plan for a 4.5 cuft box and decided to go for what seems to be the optimal 6.3 cuft box that this driver needs in a ported design. Here are pictures of where I am now.

The front with Precision port in place and a gaping hole for the Shiva. The front baffel is constructed of 2-1" MDF boards glued together.

As you can see I opted for a Zebra wood veneer finish in a pretty standard box design. No beveled or rounded edges but I do plan to put a 1" granite top and bottom on this to add the finishing touches.

I opted to do the back, top and bottom in a black laminate for protection. I know my wife will want to put something on it so I wanted it to be protected. The granite will simply be fitted to the top and bottom using thin cork spacers. Have not decided the color or texture for the granite yet.

The port and Shiva alongside.

Put in the holes to see what it will look like. The port is so big it will show the white of the PVC inside so I will paint the inside of the PVC black to prevent this.

The back amp hole and also installed to see the fit.

The front speaker screen.

The screen installed. You may have noticed no holes or clips in the front. I installed magnets from the rear to hold on the screen. Worked perfect.

Inside the box.

The mid-brace which will also brace the port tube.

Brace will slide in after the port is constructed and then be glued and bolted in place.

The back fits snug into the back and stops up against a 1" rim.

Oops. My wife is already trying to put something on it.

Well, Now it is assembly time. No I have not tried it out yet. Too much still to do. Need to build the port tube assembly. Looks like I will have room for tuning it to 19 htz with one elbow. Also, need to install the sound baffeling and the speaker. Not a lot of time right now but for sure will be up and running by the weekend.

Usil

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
re: 6.3 cuft - 12" Shiva - Ported

That has to be the one of the nicest, if not the nicest sub box I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NICE WORK!!!!!!!!!!! :T

Matt

·
Registered
30 Posts

Great looking project! I'm glad to see others getting creative with the appearances of their subs. Heres a pic of a granite topped sub I did a couple projects ago. And btw, if you're looking to get a deal on granite, I would suggest looking into a granite fabricator that cuts granite for bigger companies. The place I found had tons of granite that were in smaller pieces and only $5 per sq. ft + cutting and polishing. Lookin' good!

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Still limited time to get it all together but I could not help myself to wait to try it so I mounted the Shiva-X last night and put in a shortened port without the elbow. Still no soundproofing yet.

I slipped in the back without putting the screws in because it is a very tight fit, moved the heavy box into the family room and hooked it up. Surprisingly, even with a hugh 6" port, when I tried WOW on it it blew the back off the box. Some force!

So, I put the screws in and tried it again. Tried several movies and the Shiva-X provides a commanding performance. It showed me that the time and effort on this build are going to be paid off when I add this to my 5.1 family room surround systyem. In addition, it is going to satisfy my wife in terms of having good looks for the family room. Both of these parameters were my goals for this sub project.

Late last night, I tried about 15 different pieces of music. Here I was pleasantly surprised at how well the Shiva-X performed. I guess I was expecting the sub to favor home theater but it sounded tight and responsive and did very well with my music too. It was in the music that I was able to do some preliminary adjustments to the sub amp. I was able to get a good blend to my current 5.1 system.

Finally, of course I had to try Tchaicovsky's 1812 overature. WOW! Vey nice rendition and great cannons.

In all these preliminary tests, I drove the speaker at all volumes and never once did it complain. I was very happy with only a modest test and with it not completely being setup.

So, this weekend, I will install the complete port and the sound proofing and use Audyssey to formally introduce the sub to my 5.1 system. I am looking forward to this as it has already shown that it will be a great addition to my system.

Usil

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

What a beautifull sub. I love the zebra vaneer. I built a 4cf sealed useing the Shiva and I love it. Great job.:T

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts

That's simply nice and clean! Are you a professional woodworker Mike? :unbelievable:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts

Great looking project! I'm glad to see others getting creative with the appearances of their subs. Heres a pic of a granite topped sub I did a couple projects ago. And btw, if you're looking to get a deal on granite, I would suggest looking into a granite fabricator that cuts granite for bigger companies. The place I found had tons of granite that were in smaller pieces and only $5 per sq. ft + cutting and polishing. Lookin' good!

How much did that piece you used cost, all told? Also, how did you attach it to the sub enclosure top?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

I have completed the final installation on the sub. The final box volume is about 6.2 cubic ft with padding and a 6" port. Through careful cutting, testing and installation, I was able to get a full 33.5 linear inches of port length inside. This, according to the port length calculator, allows for a box tuning at 18 htz.

I will be setting this up tomorrow morning in my family room and will use Audyssey to integrate it into my 5.1 system. I will get back with my impressions after I set it up.

I would have gotten to this sooner but spent the entire day building large garden areas in my back yard moving 15 yards of garden dirt and 2.3 ton of natural stone edging. I am beat.

Questions others asked:

1. No, I am not a professional woodworker. I relied on a friend with the skills and tools which I do not have. He did an excellent job. I was his assistant.

2. Granite cost? I did not attach granite yet. That won't come for a few months. All you see is a black laminate which I wanted to protect the wood in case my wife decided to put flowers on it and water them. When I do get the granite, I will simply put thin cork spacers on top and simply lay the granite on it. I also intend to have granite on the bottom too to balance the design.

3. Soundproofing - I lined all of the inside interior wood with 1/2 inch carpet pad. I do this to deaden the box (prevent ringing) to sound transmission. When you stick you head in the box it is like sitting in a dead zone. I will be adding polyfil to the upper section and I will be experimenting with it this weekend. I have read all the comments on using filler in ported boxes and will simply test it to see if I like it or not. I prefer practical experience to the endless debate.

Usil

·
Registered
150 Posts

The "soundproofing" is not needed, that is what braces and thick MDF is for.

Very nice box, how did the laminate go?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

The sub is done! I moved it into it’s final location in the family room yesterday and have been listening to it without the benefit of using Audyssey for the past 24 hours because of too much room activity and no quiet.

Family was gone this morning so I set up the microphone and ran it several times each time having to lower the bass level so that it finally read out at 0 db when the set-up was complete. All other speakers also set up at near 0 db. After that it was time to redo the movie sound tracks and the music tests.

Their was a very noticeable difference when comparing the sub-woofer results before and after using Audyssey. With proper settings completed - the sub blended into the entire 5.1 system without sticking out as a separate speaker which it did prior to using Audyssey. The low frequencies were present when they appeared in the movie tests but not noticeable as to where they originated. It was very noticeable that all of the speakers were nicely working together. I used a Radio Shack SPL meter and measured the SPL coming from all speakers using the white noise setting on the Onkyo. I pointed it at my left front speaker and adjusted the volume to 65. Using that volume level from the Onkyo I then measured the SPL from each successive speaker and they all were within 0 to 1 db of each other which seems to confirm the results I was hearing.

So, what about the sub in the real world? I used War of the World and Lord of the Rings as low frequency tests. For the WOW, the key scene when the machine was getting ready to come out of the ground produced very low frequencies and the Shiva-X reproduced them with authority. No problems at all. You could feel the room pressurize and my wife in another room says she felt the walls move. I was very proud. Next I tried the beginning of Lord of the Rings and the end scene in the cavern. I think the sounds there are even lower than in the WOW. Again, no problems at all from the Shiva-X. It commanded the room at levels I would rarely ever listen to just to challenge the sub. It never bottomed out or sounded boomy and it never complained.

Next I tried music and again was pleasantly surprised how all of the sounds were well produced. When the lows were there, they were well produced without muddiness. The low sounds did not seem out of place or out of balance to the other speakers or the music itself. (I did not want a boom-box).

I think that I have it pretty well set and will listen to it for a few weeks to see if there is anything that needs tweaking.

As for the Parametric settings I have the EQ-Level set to 0 which essentially removes the EQ from the circuit path. I have no way to get a graphic reading from a many frequency test so I have no way to know if I need a peak that needs to be tuned out or not. I will just have to listen to the system for the next few weeks and see if I notice anything out of place. Since I used Kevin’s 6.3 cubic ft design (from the Shiva-X applications notes) I think I may be ok. However, if anyone knows an innovative way I can measure the sub performance using stuff I can download from the web or something I can jury rig with common DIY stuff at home let me know.

This was a great addition to my 5.1 system. Having never had a good sub before the only thing I had to go on as to how much a good sub is needed is from all the threads in the DIY section. I see what all the hub-bub is all about now. This project has met all of my design parameters and exceeds my expectations. And my wife is happy because it blends into the room.

The only thing left to build are my surrounds. Lots of research to do on these and will not start till the end of the year.

Usil

1 - 14 of 14 Posts