Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I had an idea for a friend. A small 6.5 inch high xmax subwoofer. I had seen the anarchy tapped horn sub with a tang band in it. Is there a better setup for non equalized subwoofer with only a x over set to say 100-90Hz. Planing on only using a 12 volt 700+ cca battery used to power a car amp pushing 100w rms. Looking for high output and low power consumption. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
You will need eq but if you just want loud and efficient any of the horn designs would be good. The anarchy is a great option and so are other small sub builds such as the T-6 which uses am 8" or 10" woofer. How small do you want the enclosure?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like to keep it as small as possible. Its for portable sound system that my buddy has. Its got 2- 5 1/4 coax speakers and a 200heart watt clarion amp in a box. It sounds ok but its lacking lows. Keep in mind that this will probably be riding in the back of a truck. The horn style would be good because of only one opening. Bandpass would be a good option as far as one port. I was looking for a subwoofer that was around 50-10012 watts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Tang-Band is a little monster -- I have used them before; great little drivers at a bargain price.

-----

As an asides I am working on a meaty 6.5" subwoofer right now as well -- we will have a 2" coil (1.37" winding length) so it's thermally beastly... we ran a 300 RMS 12-hour test on it no problem :) If you are interested in it I expect it to be out by the end of the year and you can pick up more information over here :

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/sundown-audio/152130-sundown-x-6-5sw-video-pictures.html

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/sundown-audio/149659-sundown-6-5-subwoofer-project.html

Linear x-max should be 15-16mm on it based on FEA simulations with ~20mm of mechanical clearance one-way (relatively soft limit with the cone touching the spider -- coil will not bottom).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts