Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help please I am going to purchase a universal player very soon, not sure what one yet but main purpose will be SACD use, the ones I am looking at all state that they will carry the SACD in DSD pure bitstream (NOT PCM) via HDMI v1.2+ as well as the 6 standard analog interconnects.
this will be a bit of a cost saving but has anyone tried this or compared the 2, or can recommend which connection is better for the best possible sound performance.

The players I'm looking at are cambridge Audio dvd99, Oppo DV980 (If I can get one in Oz, Denon 920 I'll eventually get a blueray disk player for watching movies.
The connection is in to a Marantz sr6003 receiver.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I do not know the Marantz but the relevant issues are:
1. How will you handle bass management and channel calibration? In the player or the AVR?
2. Will the player have adequate facilities for this since most AVRs and prepros will not when using an analog input? Those facilities in the player are, usually, more limiting than those in the AVR.
3. How good are the DACs and analog output stage of the player?
4. Do you realize that, to do bass management and channel calibrations, almost all devices (player and AVRs) will convert the DSD to PCM anyway?
5. Are you concerned about roomEQ? This is only possible in the AVR (not the player) and it may require an HDMI input, rather than an analog one.

Kal

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that, so basically its all down to what player I get in the end and what its capabilities are and quality of conversion chips and channels, interesting that you recon its all converted to PCM anyway regardless, none of them state this in the literature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts