Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6000 NFL Players Tackle EA with Lawsuit
08/04/2010 Written by Cameron Teague

It’s time to take out your good old law book and get to studying as 6,000 NFL Veterans have come together and started a class action lawsuit against EA over the unlawful use the players’ likenesses in Madden NFL 09’s historic teams.

The suit claims EA “knowingly and intentionally” used retired players likenesses in a way to avoid having to pay any licensing fees to the aforementioned players. Former NFL running back Tony Davis puts forth that EA had the players exact stats and positions, including height and weight, but would remove names and change uniform numbers. The group seeks punitive damages for violation of publicity rights and deprivation. EA has not commented on the story but we are sure this is not the last we have heard of this.

Source: PSLS

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Couple points for me here:

What exactly do these players see as damaging to them. Sounds simply like they want some money and thats about it.

Where do companies like EA get off trying to use peoples likenesses without paying, especially when they are going out of their way to make more from the gamer.

Part of me thinks, good I hope EA get stung because they are in my bad books at the minute (never really liked them that much to be honest), but by the same token they really havent harmed anyone. Smacks of the claim generation to me, and this is probably driven by lawyers as much as anything, what a great world we live in. I cant see this one going that far TBH, but it may set a president, it does sometimes happen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts