Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm trying to add a second amp to my theater system for some bass shakers for my couch.my problem is that when I hook up my y-adapter my primary sub amp starts to hum even in standby mode.I figured the secondary rca cable might be inducting the hum. but the hum starts as soon as the y-adapter in plugged in, even with out the second cable hooked up.:scratch:I've tried 2 types of rca adapters nice sheilded 1m-2f cables and the gold plated 1m-2f all metal adapters. both seem to have the same problem.Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Sounds like a grounding loop, try plugging the power for all of the devices in your setup into the same power distribution unit.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If plugging all your power into the same source doesn't work,
then try connecting a wire between the chassis of both amps.

If that isn't working then try grounding the chassis of both amps to the ground of your power source.

both of these things are to help eliminate Ground Loops.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
both units are plugged into the same electric circuit but are at opposite sides the room, will try grounding both chassis to each other.Wasn't really thinking it was a ground loop because the other cable isn't plugged in and the hum starts as soon as the y adapter is hooked up and it's odd because the main amp doesn't come out of standby and its humming.Off the try the ground

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
both units are plugged into the same electric circuit but are at opposite sides the room, will try grounding both chassis to each other.Wasn't really thinking it was a ground loop because the other cable isn't plugged in and the hum starts as soon as the y adapter is hooked up and it's odd because the main amp doesn't come out of standby and its humming.Off the try the ground
They may be on the same circuit, but try running an extension cord or two and plug "all" of your gear into the same PDU or power strips. The hum may not start until you plug in the Y adapter, but it is being caused by the second signal (device) connected so you have to go back to that unit and troubleshoot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts