Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a novice to home audio but i love speakers. Im currently doing research for upgrading my whole setup. As of now ive decided to get Definitive technologies for all the speakers and DIY for the subs. Either 8060 or 8080 series for the deftech. And will be doing 2 diy subs with TC Sound subs. What would be a good 7.2 receiver for a room size of 17' x 17' and would like a ceiling of around $2000 for it. Thank you for the help. Right now im using a harmon Kardon AVR-1600 and i love it. Do i need to upgrade the AVR? Or you think i need more than 50 watts per channel? Will be used 90% movies 10% music. Thanks again in advance i dont have a super picky ear so im sure what ever you have for suggestions will work for me.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ive never played with this brand before but this ONKYO TX-NR709 seems to have everything im looking for. You think this is a good receiver?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
It's an excellent receiver and one of the most recommended on this forum. I have the 809 and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My first "real" AVR was a 703, and I haven't looked back. I think Onkyo leads the pack at each pricepoint. With you room size you definitely would not want a lower series than the 709. Buy with confidence. Although...you're budget allows for an upgrade. Many think that the 809 is worth the extra. The 709 does have all the features you need with sufficient power. I for one love overkill. Of I had to replace my 3008 tomorrow, I would be choosing between the 709/809, and the deciding factor would be whether or not my wife saw the price difference. I could easily justify the 809, my more practical better half would say "Get the minimum that meets your NEEDS". 709 fits the bill.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Im a novice to home audio but i love speakers. Im currently doing research for upgrading my whole setup. As of now ive decided to get Definitive technologies for all the speakers and DIY for the subs. Either 8060 or 8080 series for the deftech. And will be doing 2 diy subs with TC Sound subs. What would be a good 7.2 receiver for a room size of 17' x 17' and would like a ceiling of around $2000 for it. Thank you for the help. Right now im using a harmon Kardon AVR-1600 and i love it. Do i need to upgrade the AVR? Or you think i need more than 50 watts per channel? Will be used 90% movies 10% music. Thanks again in advance i dont have a super picky ear so im sure what ever you have for suggestions will work for me.

Onkyos have great sound quality and are super common among the audiophile's who use receivers over separate amplifiers and pre-amps. Integra is Onkyo's higher end brand and I own two of those. Awesome, clean sound; but don't assume regular Onkyo isn't a good choice, because it is probably better than anything else in the same price category. Especially in the under $1000 price range.

Just to give you a sense of how good they can be. Back in the day, Onkyo made the M510 amplifers that cost a less than one of the titans of the uber high end: Krell. Those amps are still highly regarded, loved, and collected in certain circles. :eek:lddude:
Recently, Onkyo decided to reintroduce an updated version their M510 Krell Killer, the M5000R. It's not too uncommon for guys to buy 5 of these new or vintage amps for use in home theater.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome i pretty much guessed on the receiver. And ill just get the 809. Im one for overkill as well. From the comments you left sounds like this is going to be a huge upgrade from my HK AVR-1600. Thanks for the help. I think ive done all the research that needs to be done. Now the fun part. Start the buying process.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you live in USA be sure to check pricing at Accessories4Less.com. Awesome prices on Onkyo refurbished with 1year warranty. You can buy inexpensive extended warranty at ShopOnkyo.com.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A guy suggested me getting the Onkyo TX-NR818 7.2-Channel 3D Home Theater Receiver
Its not much more and it comes with a XT32 not sure what that is though. Something to do with the eq calibration with a mic? It handles hdmi 1.4a so ill prob get that instead.

·
Registered
876 Posts
A guy suggested me getting the Onkyo TX-NR818 7.2-Channel 3D Home Theater Receiver
Its not much more and it comes with a XT32 not sure what that is though. Something to do with the eq calibration with a mic? It handles hdmi 1.4a so ill prob get that instead.

Harmon Kardon is great. Wattage will depend on the senesitivity of the speaker, Klipsch is known to play very loud on low wattage amplifcation. Yamaha is also worth taking a look at if you aren't going under the $500-600 mark, especially their higher end Aventage line (think Lexus vs Toyota). I'm not a Klipsch fan but Yamaha is make a good match for those speakers and speakers with a similar sound, due to my perceived warmth found in the amp and the brightness of the Klipsch sound. Onkyo tends to be a bit closer to neutral. My limited experience with Def Tech leads me to belive they can be a little on the bright side of neutral, i have heard them on Pioneer amplification, Denon, and Yamaha.

Perhaps we can use that to better guide you. What is your budget for home a/v here and what is the cost break down for what you are spending in total and on speakers and other equipment/accessories?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts